Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/01/2016, 10:25 PM   #1076
jpsika08
Registered Member

Hello,
Is it possible to do the TTM with invertebrates? I'm guessing doing the 12 days phases would kill any cyst attached to them?
I don't want to go as far as six weeks with snails and crabs.

Thank you.

Unread 03/01/2016, 11:51 PM   #1077
Deinonych
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsika08 View Post
Hello,
Is it possible to do the TTM with invertebrates? I'm guessing doing the 12 days phases would kill any cyst attached to them?
I don't want to go as far as six weeks with snails and crabs.

Thank you.
TTM only works on fish. Because the encysted phase can last up to 72 days, that period is the recommended quarantine length for invertebrates.

Hope is not a strategy.
Display Tank: DSA 105 w/36gal sump/fuge · 2x MP40wES PHs · 2x Radion Gen2 · Apex w/PM2 · Fish · Corals · Rock · Sand · Water
Deinonych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2016, 10:02 PM   #1078
jpsika08
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deinonych View Post
TTM only works on fish. Because the encysted phase can last up to 72 days, that period is the recommended quarantine length for invertebrates.
Thanks Chris, I will QT invertebrates in normal mode.

Unread 03/06/2016, 02:27 PM   #1079
yaron
Registered Member

Hi,
I never did the TTM before and going to try it on my new marine FO tank.
what if i'm doing the TTM in a fully darked room? it's a room that i store my aquarium stuff and have the QT tank. will i still have to count the hour of the day or is it changed by the room light hours ? and if so, i can change the transfer hours from 06:00AM to say 09:00AM, right ?

400gal mixed reef
250gal fowlr

Current Tank Info: 400g mixed reef tank, 250g fowlr tank
yaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2016, 04:28 PM   #1080
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

Is 24h soak in tap water followed by air drying sufficient to clean equipment between transfers?

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2016, 05:15 PM   #1081
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Yes. The soak isn't really necessary if the drying is complete, but it won't hurt and may be extra insurance. I just rinse everything off with tap water before drying.
Usually, I use two tanks .After draining the first, I transfer the fish to the second and let the first dry for about 48 hours before setting it up again for the transfer on day 3 and so on.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2016, 06:05 AM   #1082
kmbyrnes
Registered Member

I use a bleach water, then a good tapwater rinse as part of the cleaning, then air dry until I set it up for the next step.

Current Tank Info: Too small
kmbyrnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2016, 06:11 AM   #1083
Happyschneider
Registered Member

I use H2O2 for heater and thermometer in between. Just rinsing and drying the tub.

180 liter, sumpless reef, no skimmer for the moment.

Current Tank Info: Juwel VISION 180, currently only invertebrates, planning to have low bioload as I have no skimmer and no refugium for the moment.
Happyschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2016, 06:22 AM   #1084
sensei
Registered Member

hello all
I have been doing TTM+ prazi to all fish in an ich infested tank.
the fish were going to go on a cycled observation tank for 2-4 weeks after the TTM and then I was going to put the fish in a new aquarum that I am cycling now.
the problem is that the observation tank got infected with bad bacteria so I am in the process bleaching it.

since I do not have an observation tank any more, should I keep doing tank tranffers to the fish being treated beyond the 4th transffer of 3 days each?

I ask because I do not have a cycled tank now.

I use prime in 2nd and 3rd day . I am not sure how much time could I keep fish in a not cycled tank using prime???

Thanks for your help

Unread 03/15/2016, 07:30 AM   #1085
Deinonych
Registered Member

You can use Bio-spira to seed the QT with bacteria. Just throw some media (I use Seachem Matrix) in a HOB filter for the bacteria to colonize. I've been using this method for years and have never had an ammonia problem in QT.

Hope is not a strategy.
Display Tank: DSA 105 w/36gal sump/fuge · 2x MP40wES PHs · 2x Radion Gen2 · Apex w/PM2 · Fish · Corals · Rock · Sand · Water
Deinonych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2016, 09:53 AM   #1086
sensei
Registered Member

Chris,
thanks for your answer,
the tanks that I use for TTM are 20g.
do you mean using the same tank of 20g as Observation tank and just throw some ceramic media in that same tank after 12 days of TTM??
I ask because it is small

I have 6 Tanks that I use for TTM, to be able to treat 3 batches at same time.
in the previous experience I used an 80g QT for observation, but fish started fighting and it ended up in disaster
thanks for your reply

Unread 03/18/2016, 01:50 PM   #1087
Flaxenfilly23
Registered Member

Any way to be sure the DT is ich free besides going fallow?

Hi all,

This has been an amazing thread and I have ready all 44 pages of it in its entirety. I had an ich outbreak in my DT (didn't quarantine new fish like an idiot) and treated the entire 180 gallon tank with Rid-ich Plus for a couple of weeks. I then moved the fish to a quarantine tank and treated with Cupramine for 2 weeks. They moved back into the DT in November. What are the chances there is still ich in my DT? I currently have 5 new fish going through the TT method and quarantine but after reading through everything in this thread I'm really second guessing if my DT is "clean". I have learned SOOO much over the past month and am really trying to do things right now. Should I pull all of my fish out of the DT, do TT with them, and leave the tank fallow for 72 days, or is over a 5 months with zero signs of ich any form of security? I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this question... I hate to put my Foxface back into the hospital tank agian, he really really hated it last time around and bashed himself around enough he got popeye (which he has now recovered from).

Flaxenfilly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2016, 01:35 PM   #1088
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxenfilly23 View Post
Hi all,

This has been an amazing thread and I have ready all 44 pages of it in its entirety. I had an ich outbreak in my DT (didn't quarantine new fish like an idiot) and treated the entire 180 gallon tank with Rid-ich Plus for a couple of weeks. I then moved the fish to a quarantine tank and treated with Cupramine for 2 weeks. They moved back into the DT in November. What are the chances there is still ich in my DT? I currently have 5 new fish going through the TT method and quarantine but after reading through everything in this thread I'm really second guessing if my DT is "clean". I have learned SOOO much over the past month and am really trying to do things right now. Should I pull all of my fish out of the DT, do TT with them, and leave the tank fallow for 72 days, or is over a 5 months with zero signs of ich any form of security? I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this question... I hate to put my Foxface back into the hospital tank agian, he really really hated it last time around and bashed himself around enough he got popeye (which he has now recovered from).

I would say the chances are about 100% that there is still Ich in your display since you only had a 2 week fallow period. The rid-Ich+ is pointless. Even just 2 weeks in the copper is the bare minimum. If I were you I would start over on the QT for all of the fish and leave the display fallow for 72+ days.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2016, 07:34 AM   #1089
Flaxenfilly23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
I would say the chances are about 100% that there is still Ich in your display since you only had a 2 week fallow period. The rid-Ich+ is pointless. Even just 2 weeks in the copper is the bare minimum. If I were you I would start over on the QT for all of the fish and leave the display fallow for 72+ days.
Surprise, surprise I just had an ich outbreak... So does anyone have any advice for QTing my six large fish? (Large One Spot Foxface, Med Sailfin Tang, Lg Flame Angel, Lg Coral Beauty, Lg Black Ocellaris, Med Copperband Butterfly) I already have 5 other fish just about to finish up with TTM (Sm Dragon Wrasse, Sm Ocellaris Clown, 2 Med Royal Grammas and a Med Blue Spot Puffer). Although my 2 dwarf angels get along really well in my 180 gallon, I doubt putting them into the same QT tank would be a good idea. Any advice for setting up the long term QT tanks on the fly since I don't have any seeded sponge filters (and even if I did, it would be from the DT which has ich, so....)

Flaxenfilly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2016, 07:26 AM   #1090
killagoby
Registered Member

If aprox 30 days is the life cycle of ich then why let the DT run 9 weeks fallow?

Unread 04/02/2016, 07:36 AM   #1091
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by killagoby View Post
If aprox 30 days is the life cycle of ich then why let the DT run 9 weeks fallow?
Because 30 days is the average and the back end of the life cycle is highly variable.

Unread 04/02/2016, 08:50 AM   #1092
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

As an example,the cysts have remained viable for up to 72 days in at least one study.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.

Last edited by tmz; 04/02/2016 at 09:02 AM.
Unread 04/02/2016, 08:53 AM   #1093
killagoby
Registered Member

But the TTM is only for 10 days. Doesn't that leave the risk of some remaining in the DT? Is it possible that ALL of them are removed with the transfer. It seems risky IMO

Unread 04/02/2016, 09:18 AM   #1094
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

The cysts form on surfaces ; not the fish or the water column . When dry they die. With gentle transfer minimizing water transfer The 3 day time frame for each of 4 transfers also minimizes them forming and leaves those that may form behind .
With gentle transfer minimizing water transfer the risk of transferring them on is de miniimus.

Further most place fish post treatment with TTM into a cycled qt tank for at least several weeks primarily to observe for maladies other than crytocarion irritans

Last edited by tmz; 04/02/2016 at 09:25 AM.
Unread 04/02/2016, 12:57 PM   #1095
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmz View Post
The cysts form on surfaces ; not the fish or the water column . When dry they die. With gentle transfer minimizing water transfer The 3 day time frame for each of 4 transfers also minimizes them forming and leaves those that may form behind .
With gentle transfer minimizing water transfer the risk of transferring them on is de miniimus.

Further most place fish post treatment with TTM into a cycled qt tank for at least several weeks primarily to observe for maladies other than crytocarion irritans
Total time (TTM plus observation) should be a minimum of 5 weeks.

Unread 04/03/2016, 06:18 AM   #1096
killagoby
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
Total time (TTM plus observation) should be a minimum of 5 weeks.
Got it. Thanks the answer I was looking for compared to letting the tank run fallow. Thanks!

Unread 04/03/2016, 06:43 AM   #1097
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by killagoby View Post
Got it. Thanks the answer I was looking for compared to letting the tank run fallow. Thanks!
Snorvich is suggesting 5 weeks as a QT for new incoming fish - but you will need to hold the fish for 9 weeks if you are treating the DT for a known outbreak.

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2016, 10:46 AM   #1098
killagoby
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterOfJustice View Post
Snorvich is suggesting 5 weeks as a QT for new incoming fish - but you will need to hold the fish for 9 weeks if you are treating the DT for a known outbreak.
Got it. Thanks!

Unread 04/07/2016, 06:42 AM   #1099
robertsk
Registered Member

Regarding qt. Can i start ttm with fish directly from lfs?

robertsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2016, 08:45 AM   #1100
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsk View Post
Regarding qt. Can i start ttm with fish directly from lfs?
Yes. Match quarantine water SG to LFS SG.