Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 06/19/2010, 12:22 PM   #2576
Salt_in_MyBlood
Registered Member

Just read the whole thread..... before i reply I need to poke my eyes back into my head...

Great build Peter, excellent job on getting as much information as you can before starting, as well as taking your time and setting it up right. Even though you will still want to change things no matter how well thought out it is when you set it up. I am upgrading to a system the same as you..... no, wait, forgot the decimal..... mine will only be 135. One aspect of thought i have been using in my planning is implementingthings to make it easy to change if i want or need to. I am also trying to do some things to help reduce wasted water as well as energy. One example is using the water change water from the reef tank to replenish water in a 90 gal predator/puffer tank and use water from it to flush the toilet in the basement. Also the 'waste water' from the RO unit will go into a large container to be used for the washing machine as well as water the gardens around the house. A few more ideas but need to think them through more and maybe try before posting here.

I doubt i will be able to do a full thread on my setup as my girlfriend and I are buying a house which will require the first floor and basement to be completely renovated and a few changes to the second floor. All this while planning to setup the 135 penisula reef and 90 puffer tank with an eel or two. I am a big diy'er, so i am building my own protein skimmer(which i just made the cone for) as well as an ocean motion device for the return. I will post pics of each once they are done but like i said will not have the time to do a wonderful thread like this. Having lost my right hand in an accident two years ago and still getting used to doing what i used to in a new way, doing all the renos myself and setting up the tanks.... i will have my hand full.

Hope that was not too long winded and made sense, not just keyboard diarrhea.

To add a few comments to the last few questions i came across:

There is still a warehoused plastic in scarborough, they are great. Got alot of stuff there for my projects. Here is their addy and number: 90 Venture Drive, Scarborough, 416-281-1293
A great place to order hard to find and strange plumbing fittings is http://flexpvc.com/ They also have flow charts for different pipe size.

Mr Wilson: Great source of info, thank you. Also to help you for once, a great user friendly 3D program that allows you to shade things as well as just about anything else to make it life like is Google Sketchup. I am sure you have seen some of it's abilities in other threads. You can download a trial version as well as use the 7 version for free. The pro has a few more features, which if you think you may want, let me know and i can get you the 'free pass' (don't tell google)

Thank you to everyone for the added info, always usefull to hear someone else's thoughts on things, no matter how obscure they seem.

Again, Thank you Peter for starting and maintaining a great thread. It is a truly awesome build and has been a great source of info. Cheers to you and Save me a ticket for the viewing once it is done.

I am by no means an expert at any of this but i love to learn and have become quite adept at finding anything and everything on the web. So feel free to ask anything or maybe source something out.

Cheers to all....

Unread 06/19/2010, 01:26 PM   #2577
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

You should have a bypass line on all of the equipment such as the chiller so it can be taken offline for service without affecting the operation of the aquarium. There should also be a true union shut off valve on each bulkhead of the display tank. This way you can fill & run the tank independent of the plumbing and filtration devices and if your plumbing springs a leak it can be repaired without draining the tank or capping the internal plumbing.

I'm sure you will have more than 50 hiding spaces for fish. They can thread themselves through a needle and rock has unlimited void spaces for them to fight over. Your 50 hiding spaces for 50 feet of rock (one spot per foot) formula may need to be amended accordingly

Unread 06/19/2010, 01:37 PM   #2578
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt_in_MyBlood View Post
Mr Wilson: Great source of info, thank you. Also to help you for once, a great user friendly 3D program that allows you to shade things as well as just about anything else to make it life like is Google Sketchup. I am sure you have seen some of it's abilities in other threads. You can download a trial version as well as use the 7 version for free. The pro has a few more features, which if you think you may want, let me know and i can get you the 'free pass' (don't tell google)
I have sketchup but haven't put a concentrated effort into learning how to use it yet. I'm still debating whether to invest my time in sketchup or a bit more time and learn autocad. I don't want to have to learn both. Autocad has a lot more features and it's the industry standard, but I like the idea of sketchup being more user friendly and quick to learn. I hear Google isn't putting many resources into upgrading the software, but even as it stands the finished drawings are pretty impressive especially ones that have been rendered in another software. I'll probably meet you under a bridge in an industrial area for that pass code. Don't worry, I'm not talking to Google anymore Thanks.

Unread 06/19/2010, 02:52 PM   #2579
kmbaczynski
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.wilson View Post
I have sketchup but haven't put a concentrated effort into learning how to use it yet. I'm still debating whether to invest my time in sketchup or a bit more time and learn autocad. I don't want to have to learn both. Autocad has a lot more features and it's the industry standard, but I like the idea of sketchup being more user friendly and quick to learn. I hear Google isn't putting many resources into upgrading the software, but even as it stands the finished drawings are pretty impressive especially ones that have been rendered in another software. I'll probably meet you under a bridge in an industrial area for that pass code. Don't worry, I'm not talking to Google anymore Thanks.
I'd say go with AutoCAD. It didn't take that long to learn, especially to get the basics down.

I took several CAD/architecture classes in high school.

Unread 06/19/2010, 02:56 PM   #2580
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbaczynski View Post
I'd say go with AutoCAD. It didn't take that long to learn, especially to get the basics down.

I took several CAD/architecture classes in high school.
The "It didn't take that long to learn" was encouraging, then you lost me with "several CAD/architecture classes".

Unread 06/19/2010, 03:11 PM   #2581
kmbaczynski
Registered Member

Quote:
The "It didn't take that long to learn" was encouraging, then you lost me with "several CAD/architecture classes".
Haha let me put it this way...

The classes I took were high-level classes. I never took the low-level classes because I figured I'd be able to self-teach AutoCAD in the first week or so of class. I was right.

Unread 06/20/2010, 09:48 AM   #2582
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Wilson View Post
Surrounding yourself with good help is a wise choice. The cost of the 4 in 1 person will not exceed the cost of your own follies and foibles if you were to go it alone. Getting the lads to specialize in one individual responsibility is another good idea as it assures nothing is overlooked, and they can take pride in making sure their cog in the machine runs smoothly. Assign one rock formation to each of the four helpers and they will work that much harder to make their peace of the reef the nicest. A little friendly competition between them is the best incentive you can get. Speaking of which, you do know how feared the number four is in Asian cultures. The number four and the word for death are the same. I'm surprised they even walk onto a golf course http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_in_Chinese_culture
Thanks Shawn for the support and encouragement. I am very pleased with the four boys and in this day and age their passion and commitment for this project is outstanding. They are now members of this community and I will be introducing them in short order as they are also looking forward to the support this forum can provide.

I do realize however that I am missing an important experience and knowledge competence that will be necessary to provide guidance to the willing hands and hearts on this project. Perhaps I could convince you to join our merry band, for a small, reasonable, civilized and fair monetary exchange, perhaps to augment your book earnings not to mention your soon to be platinum reputation both in and around this forum.

There would probably be a reduction in the suspense factor with this thread if our community was assured that someone of your stature was looking over our shoulders and preventing the inevitable slide into the abyss.

This kind of dialog might normally be held in the back rooms and corridors of the private message board but I feel that your history with this thread and the respect you have managed to get from our group would justify the open and transparent nature of our relationship. We can discuss which currency and amount in private but I think I can suggest that this offer is really coming from the group on this thread. It really is their decision.......I just have to fund it!!!!!!

Thoughts????? Group?????? Mr. Wilson??????

Peter

Unread 06/20/2010, 10:01 AM   #2583
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poriferan View Post
We are really going to get new pictures

I am as excited as I am shocked
Patience Poriferan, patience...............

Peter

Unread 06/20/2010, 10:08 AM   #2584
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccampbell57 View Post
Peter - the tank is coming along spectacularly! I cant wait to see it in full bloom!

Great work so far...taking your time in this hobby leads to great things...enjoy the adventure my friend.
Chris, thanks for the encouragement.........

Peter

Unread 06/20/2010, 10:10 AM   #2585
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksed View Post
Great work Peter!

Shawn
I didn't realize but Peter's RK2 skimmer actually has a nice cone transition on top. I am not crazy about the full cone as you loose volume compared to a cylinder with a cone on top .eg. There is no replacement for cubic inches eg 2.0liter Turbo 4 cylinder 200HP......add that turbo to a 3.0liter and you will always get more HP than the 4
Thanks ksed, the best part of that skimmer actually is the self cleaning cup.......have you ever smelled that stuff?????

Peter

Unread 06/20/2010, 10:17 AM   #2586
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
I didn't think about that possibility. I'll cash in my free ride in Miami instead of the Oakville Marina. Can I fly the helicopter once you get it off of the deck?
Certainly Mr. Wilson, except that I broke one of the blades getting under the uppermiddle road bridge. I could have gone over it but whats the challenge in that!!!!

Peter

Unread 06/20/2010, 10:27 AM   #2587
crazzy
Registered Member

And then we { Canadians , including this exPat in Bolivia } can celebrate, as a contingent, at MACNA in Orlando, in September, to your success at having your sytem up and RUNNING !!!

???Keg Party??? eh! { might even invite Beer Guy and some other Yanks }

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
Thanks Shawn for the support and encouragement. I am very pleased with the four boys and in this day and age their passion and commitment for this project is outstanding. They are now members of this community and I will be introducing them in short order as they are also looking forward to the support this forum can provide.

I do realize however that I am missing an important experience and knowledge competence that will be necessary to provide guidance to the willing hands and hearts on this project. Perhaps I could convince you to join our merry band, for a small, reasonable, civilized and fair monetary exchange, perhaps to augment your book earnings not to mention your soon to be platinum reputation both in and around this forum.

There would probably be a reduction in the suspense factor with this thread if our community was assured that someone of your stature was looking over our shoulders and preventing the inevitable slide into the abyss.

This kind of dialog might normally be held in the back rooms and corridors of the private message board but I feel that your history with this thread and the respect you have managed to get from our group would justify the open and transparent nature of our relationship. We can discuss which currency and amount in private but I think I can suggest that this offer is really coming from the group on this thread. It really is their decision.......I just have to fund it!!!!!!

Peter

Unread 06/20/2010, 10:55 AM   #2588
iluzhun
Registered Member

Quote:

Peter
Peter

I have been lurking lately but felt it necessary to come out of the woodwork and comment on this idea. I feel a person with the knowledge and experience of Mr. Wilson would be worth his weight in gold or any other currency. To secure such a person as a consultant would deffinitely limit the "warts" on this project. Just my $.02 (not nearly enough to pay Mr. Wilson however)

There are times when the only choices you have left are bad ones

That's not a unicorn.. It's a donkey with a plunger stuck to it's face

Current Tank Info: filled with salt water
Unread 06/20/2010, 10:58 AM   #2589
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzy View Post
And then we { Canadians , including this exPat in Bolivia } can celebrate, as a contingent, at MACNA in Orlando, in September, to your success at having your sytem up and RUNNING !!!

???Keg Party??? eh! { might even invite Beer Guy and some other Yanks }
I like this idea a lot. We could make it a thread party.......in order to attend you have to have posted in the thread.........it might even bring out the lurkers......but lets keep it international, that way Chingchai can be invited. There's also a bunch from Australia.........I'll have to up the beer budget if any of them show up!!!!

Great idea.

Peter

Unread 06/20/2010, 11:04 AM   #2590
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellotang View Post
Living the dream!
Welcome to the west..........

Peter

Unread 06/20/2010, 11:07 AM   #2591
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poriferan View Post
I will admit I normally just follow build threads to see the progress pictures...(Hint, Hint)

However, having read EVERY post in this thread so far I have learned a lot about doing a large scale build project like this. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to contribute all the useful information.
Thank you very much Poriferan.

Peter

Unread 06/20/2010, 11:26 AM   #2592
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNeptunesBou View Post
I need to read this thread completely through because I still am lost concerning Mr Wilson's book.
That's because Mr Wilson's book is buried in this thread and in his head. We are just trying to convince him that its worthwhile to produce a book that speaks to this kind of audience the way it has been evolving in this thread. Many of us have already put in an order for the first edition.

Peter

Unread 06/20/2010, 11:30 AM   #2593
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilberheim View Post
Thanks Wilberheim.

Peter

Unread 06/20/2010, 11:31 AM   #2594
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbee181 View Post
i just ordered rod from this place http://www.eplastics.com/
good prices and pretty fast shipping
Terry
Thanks Terry......see you in Orlando.

Peter

Unread 06/20/2010, 11:34 AM   #2595
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipps View Post
Peter pictures please!!!
Patience Kipps, soon as the equipment makes it back into the fish room you will have your wish.

Peter

Unread 06/20/2010, 12:49 PM   #2596
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
It's like waiting for the next Harry Potter movie to come out.

Dave.M
Dave, that is excellent. It really should be the epitaph for this thread or Mr. Wilson's book title.

Peter

Unread 06/20/2010, 02:04 PM   #2597
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt_in_MyBlood View Post
Just read the whole thread..... before i reply I need to poke my eyes back into my head...

Great build Peter, excellent job on getting as much information as you can before starting, as well as taking your time and setting it up right. Even though you will still want to change things no matter how well thought out it is when you set it up. I am upgrading to a system the same as you..... no, wait, forgot the decimal..... mine will only be 135. One aspect of thought i have been using in my planning is implementingthings to make it easy to change if i want or need to. I am also trying to do some things to help reduce wasted water as well as energy. One example is using the water change water from the reef tank to replenish water in a 90 gal predator/puffer tank and use water from it to flush the toilet in the basement. Also the 'waste water' from the RO unit will go into a large container to be used for the washing machine as well as water the gardens around the house. A few more ideas but need to think them through more and maybe try before posting here.

I doubt i will be able to do a full thread on my setup as my girlfriend and I are buying a house which will require the first floor and basement to be completely renovated and a few changes to the second floor. All this while planning to setup the 135 penisula reef and 90 puffer tank with an eel or two. I am a big diy'er, so i am building my own protein skimmer(which i just made the cone for) as well as an ocean motion device for the return. I will post pics of each once they are done but like i said will not have the time to do a wonderful thread like this. Having lost my right hand in an accident two years ago and still getting used to doing what i used to in a new way, doing all the renos myself and setting up the tanks.... i will have my hand full.

Hope that was not too long winded and made sense, not just keyboard diarrhea.

To add a few comments to the last few questions i came across:

There is still a warehoused plastic in scarborough, they are great. Got alot of stuff there for my projects. Here is their addy and number: 90 Venture Drive, Scarborough, 416-281-1293
A great place to order hard to find and strange plumbing fittings is http://flexpvc.com/ They also have flow charts for different pipe size.

Thank you to everyone for the added info, always usefull to hear someone else's thoughts on things, no matter how obscure they seem.

Again, Thank you Peter for starting and maintaining a great thread. It is a truly awesome build and has been a great source of info. Cheers to you and Save me a ticket for the viewing once it is done.

I am by no means an expert at any of this but i love to learn and have become quite adept at finding anything and everything on the web. So feel free to ask anything or maybe source something out.

Cheers to all....
Salt_in_MyBlood thank you very much for your generous comments. Although keeping up a build thread is a considerable effort I think as an investment will definitely improve the quality of the result and help significantly with the ups and downs of maintaining typical marine ecology.

I will be having an open house but not before its time and the fish are eating normally. Hopefully before Harry Potter's grandchildren finish university!!!

Peter

Unread 06/20/2010, 03:22 PM   #2598
Padrino
Registered Member

Shawn,
I see your interest in learning a 3D CAD software. I am proficient in about 6 different programs. I do a lot of automotive design work in my industry and could teach you on your choice of program.... If your lucky i can even supply you with a program/license.

Rob

Unread 06/20/2010, 05:47 PM   #2599
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:

Peter
I would be pleased to help you, or anyone following the thread willing to listen and perhaps even learn. My rate is usually doubled if you watch and tripled if you try to help, but in your case, you have really put in the effort so I'll cut you some slack.

The only thing I ask is to be assured that I don't take any money out of anyone else's pot, step on any toes or create an atmosphere of too many cooks in the kitchen. I have met Michael a few times over the past ten years and we have never had a conflict.

Unread 06/20/2010, 05:51 PM   #2600
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Certainly Mr. Wilson, except that I broke one of the blades getting under the uppermiddle road bridge. I could have gone over it but whats the challenge in that!!!!

Peter
One of my old neighbours on Guelph Line in Burlington keeps a helicopter in his garage. He pushes is out and flies around the back field every once in awhile. I thought my lawn tractor was cool.

Closed Thread