Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/04/2009, 11:51 AM   #76
gdm42001
Premium Member

Quote:
I am also dosing bacteria that helps to keep one type (this bad stuff) from taking over.
CeeGee,
What is this Bacteria you are dosing?

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Current Tank Info: No tank for the first time in over 23 years
gdm42001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2009, 12:01 PM   #77
CeeGee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HighlandReefer
CeeGee,

It sounds to me that you have a good grip about the processes going on regarding this pest. Your plan sounds good to me.

Please keep us posted. I would like to see a control measure developed for this particular pest, since it seems to show up every now and then.
Several of our club members have it. I think it is more common than it seems. It seems to take hold on some peoples tanks (like mine) and not others for some reason.

I wouldn't say that I have a good grip, I would say I have been given good advice. Once again this board is invaluable. All in all this has been a result of extremely bad advice of my LFS and my inexperience in reefkeeping.

Quote:
Originally posted by gdm42001
CeeGee,
What is this Bacteria you are dosing?
Polyp Labs-Genesis Other companies make similar products. Prodibio has something similar as does Brightwell. I think their version is called MicroBacter7.

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon display, 40 gallon breeder sump, RLSS R6i, ATI Powermodule, Apex, Ecotech MP40's

Last edited by CeeGee; 05/04/2009 at 12:24 PM.
CeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2009, 09:43 PM   #78
CeeGee
Registered Member

As promised here are a couple of pics.

This is one of the frag plugs from the previous pics. It was by far the worst of the bunch. It was really hairy.

The same plug from the top. The top was completely covered and begining to kill this coral.

This rock was getting pretty wicked with this stuff. It is all but gone. If I hit it with a toothbrush (this weekend during WC) I will eraditcate what is left. Notice the Birdsnest is starting to get some color back. It looked dead it bleached so badly. I really think this stuff poisons the tank in some form or another.

Believe it or not there is a little tissue left here. I circled it in a transparent red. This was completely covered in tissue in january. This was the second worst frag plug. It looked like a hairy tree limb a couple weeks ago. This bacteria as we are now calling it nearly killed this frag. I am hoping it will bounce back.

As you can see things are a little better Also of note is the eggcrate frag rack. It was hairy a few weeks ago. No more

I am not out of the woods yet and I still may end up chucking this rock, bleaching tank and equipment and basically starting over. I am going to give it more time though first.

I can't stress enough how tough this stuff is. The remainder of my rock has been cooking since January 3rd and it is still not completely clean. This is nasty stuff.

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon display, 40 gallon breeder sump, RLSS R6i, ATI Powermodule, Apex, Ecotech MP40's
Unread 05/04/2009, 10:21 PM   #79
mixer911
Registered Member.

That looks awesome!! Night and day difference......

Rimless Aquarium Club

Current Tank Info: 103 Gallon Starphire Reef Savvy Cube / 250w Galaxy Dimmable - Radium - Lumenbright Mini / 2 x 24" VHO / 2 x 24" T5 / 3x Power Brite Act LEDs /2 x Tunze 6025 / Vortech MP40ES / Neptune APEX Lite / CS200 Cone with Octo BB 2000
mixer911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2009, 11:11 PM   #80
gdm42001
Premium Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gdm42001 CeeGee, What is this Bacteria you are dosing? Polyp Labs-Genesis Other companies make similar products. Prodibio has something similar as does Brightwell. I think their version is called MicroBacter7.
Anything in particular draw you to the Polyp Labs-Genesis rather than the others?

Unread 05/04/2009, 11:20 PM   #81
CeeGee
Registered Member

It was recommended by someone on here. I like the fact that I can use a syringe and measure out exactly what I need instead of breaking a vial and using some and tossing the rest. There may be something better out there. I haven't really checked into the other systems. This was recommended so I ordered it.

Quote:
Originally posted by mixer911
That looks awesome!! Night and day difference......
Yeah now I just need to finish it off, keep it out, rid the tank of the remaining phosphate and order me some color and growth from one of these internet companies. They do sell color and growth don't they?

This stuff was getting much worse than the pics on page 1 show. In those pics the eggcrate frag rack was still relatively clean. It was covering everything again. My bare bottom (in the tank ) was swaying back and forth with this crap as was my overflow. Corals were starting to die and I was completely discouraged. I now feel a glimmer of hope but I am not letting my guard down as I know my luck.

Last edited by CeeGee; 05/04/2009 at 11:29 PM.
Unread 05/25/2009, 09:31 AM   #82
CeeGee
Registered Member

Just another update. I have tripled the fish population in the tank (I had one and I added 3 more 2 weeks ago) and have been feeding much heavier than I used to as a result and the tank continues to be "algae" free. Hopefully I am not jinxing myself but I kind of feel it is important for anyone who may have been following this thread.

I also added a i_Tech 100 cone skimmer and it is pulling very little so far. I really think my tank is too clean. It is amazing that this "algae" took hold the way it did.

This will be the last post here for some time I am hoping. If anyone is having a hard time beating a similar pest I hope this thread inspires you as I had almost lost all hope. It is important to know that I fought this junk for over 2 years.

I would like to thank everyone for their help and support. Lets hope this stuff stays away

Unread 05/25/2009, 09:38 AM   #83
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

CeeGee,

Just to make sure I have this correct. This is the pest, which Boomer has identified it as a bacteria or cyano? And you gained control of this pest using AlgaeFix Marine?

Intestests: Digital Microscopy; Marine Pest Control; Marine Plants & Macroalgae

Current Tank Info: 180 g. mixed reef system
HighlandReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2009, 10:34 AM   #84
gdm42001
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CeeGee
It was recommended by someone on here. I like the fact that I can use a syringe and measure out exactly what I need instead of breaking a vial and using some and tossing the rest. There may be something better out there. I haven't really checked into the other systems. This was recommended so I ordered it.

Thanks, I started dosing it Friday 5/22

Unread 05/25/2009, 04:06 PM   #85
CeeGee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HighlandReefer
CeeGee,

Just to make sure I have this correct. This is the pest, which Boomer has identified it as a bacteria or cyano? And you gained control of this pest using AlgaeFix Marine?
I gained control by using Algaefix Marine, Polyp Labs RF Fuel and RF Genesis, a UV Sterilizer and constant vigilance of keeping my detritus vacuumed up and blowing out the rocks like a crazed lunatic.

I continue to blow out rocks, siphon detritus and the ULNS is still being used and I don't plan on stopping it anytime soon

Whatever took it out took it's sweet time though. I dosed the algaefix 6 times. The last of it came right off with a toothbrush and little effort.

Not sure what did it but for the time being it is gone. TKO!!!!!!!

Unread 05/25/2009, 06:39 PM   #86
sikpupy
Moved On

Sweeet!! read the post and it gave me a warm fuzzy feeling. I battled some diff stuff myself and I feel your acomplishment, congrats!

sikpupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2009, 10:37 PM   #87
CeeGee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sikpupy
Sweeet!! read the post and it gave me a warm fuzzy feeling. I battled some diff stuff myself and I feel your acomplishment, congrats!
Thanks! I just hope it stays away. I have been feeding the tank heavily (fish that is) and adding amino acids and some kind of oyster egg & ovarian tissue product my LFS gave me to try out. I should know real soon if the ULNS is indeed working

Unread 01/19/2011, 05:37 PM   #88
650-IS350
Registered Member

although Old glad I saw this , as I'm having a slight issue of the same culprit as this page, bumping it for others.

Just enjoying the box of water from afar
650-IS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2011, 03:23 PM   #89
CeeGee
Registered Member

It is back in my new tank. There is either something I am doing wrong or something in the water I use even though I am running RO/DI. I am fed up and about to throw in the towel for good.

For some reason I can't change my signature either. awesome.

Unread 12/22/2011, 07:42 PM   #90
lastduke
Registered Member

CeeGee, how is your new tank? The only thing you tried and I haven't tried is Polyp Labs RF Fuel and RF Genesis. I could not clean them all. AlgaeFix does help at the beginning 40-50% maybe then my SPS died, so I stopped and then they grow back. I even took fish out and leave the tank for a couple month, it didn't help. Anyone else has some experience to share ?

lastduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2013, 10:20 AM   #91
650-IS350
Registered Member

Bump, any updates?

Unread 10/29/2013, 09:25 AM   #92
Spyderturbo007
Registered Member

I would love an update on this as well. I'm pretty sure this is what I have in my tank all over my rocks and I'm starting to wonder if this is the root of my coral issues.

I can't seem to win with this tank and am ready to nuke it and start all over again.

Spyderturbo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2013, 02:49 PM   #93
Deinonych
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
I would love an update on this as well. I'm pretty sure this is what I have in my tank all over my rocks and I'm starting to wonder if this is the root of my coral issues.

I can't seem to win with this tank and am ready to nuke it and start all over again.
I have it all over my tank as well. Tank was fallow for 12+ weeks due to a cryptocaryon infection. During this period, I was obviously not feeding much (only have 6 corals and a CUC), but this stuff bloomed. I suspect it is Chrysophytes sp. based on the pictures over at Chuck's Addiction. I started running GFO over the weekend and will likely start dosing Algaefix Marine as well.

Never had a problem with this stuff until I removed the fish, but my tank is still pretty new (started in Jan 2013), so who knows.

Hope is not a strategy.
Display Tank: DSA 105 w/36gal sump/fuge · 2x MP40wES PHs · 2x Radion Gen2 · Apex w/PM2 · Fish · Corals · Rock · Sand · Water
Deinonych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2013, 05:25 PM   #94
650-IS350
Registered Member

I just turned the nob of my Kessil to full white and full blue ( Full Spectrum ) and within a week or so, went away and ( knocks on wood ) never came back. tank is prestine clean now.

Unread 07/20/2014, 07:48 PM   #95
schlegelii
Registered Member

Cure

Hi,
I'm dealing with the same thing. Did you ever cure it?

Jeremy

schlegelii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2014, 08:53 PM   #96
CeeGee
Registered Member

yeah I don't really see that "algae" anymore. I started feeding the crap out of my tank (used to barely feed), vacuum detritus often and invested in a large clean up crew (used to have about 3 snails) and pay extremely close attention to keeping all and cal levels right where they are supposed to be and stable.

Whatever this stuff was seemed to grab just enough nutrition out of the nearly sterile tank to thrive. I didn't feed much and if you look at the coral color they were starving and bleaching as a result. Once other algaes started to outcompete this stuff (from the increased feeding) the large cleanup crew is there to take care of them.

Unread 07/30/2014, 09:07 AM   #97
nemonlizzy
Registered Member

I am having similar problems, I will post some pictures and you can tell me if this is the stuff. I am almost 100% certain it is.

CeeGee, are you saying you increased your feeding, and installed a larger CUC? ALSO, how are you keeping your alk and cal levels stable? I am having major issues in mine and I think that is helping this stuff grow somehow. ANY help would be great.

ALSO I found that dipping your frags in a nice little cup of 2(HO), Hydrogen Peroxide 3%, works wonders with this stuff. I dip, scrap a little at it, squirt a little more 2(HO) onto the hot spots with a syringe and leave it sitting for maybe 5 min. Your corals will HATE you for this, but it totally nukes the "algae". I have tried this on zoas, candy cane, SPS, an lobos and I haven't killed anything yet. Just don't do a total submersion and you should be fine. This, however, does not stop the poisoning of the entire tank, and does not kill this stuff that's on the rocks or side walls. I have found that this stuff does, somewhat, die off if the rock is rotated and the "algae" doesn't get light. It turns whiteish and then kinda disappears.

Posting pics soon.

nemonlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2014, 09:24 AM   #98
CeeGee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemonlizzy View Post
I am having similar problems, I will post some pictures and you can tell me if this is the stuff. I am almost 100% certain it is.

CeeGee, are you saying you increased your feeding, and installed a larger CUC? ALSO, how are you keeping your alk and cal levels stable? I am having major issues in mine and I think that is helping this stuff grow somehow. ANY help would be great.

ALSO I found that dipping your frags in a nice little cup of 2(HO), Hydrogen Peroxide 3%, works wonders with this stuff. I dip, scrap a little at it, squirt a little more 2(HO) onto the hot spots with a syringe and leave it sitting for maybe 5 min. Your corals will HATE you for this, but it totally nukes the "algae". I have tried this on zoas, candy cane, SPS, an lobos and I haven't killed anything yet. Just don't do a total submersion and you should be fine. This, however, does not stop the poisoning of the entire tank, and does not kill this stuff that's on the rocks or side walls. I have found that this stuff does, somewhat, die off if the rock is rotated and the "algae" doesn't get light. It turns whiteish and then kinda disappears.

Posting pics soon.
Yeah man. I am saying that my tank had enough nutrients for this crap to thrive but not enough for the "normal" algaes that everyone else seems to have (green hair,etc.) I started feeding more and added a nice size clean up crew from a recommended site (not sure if I can say the name or not) but he put together a nice sized clean up crew. I then added a few Mexican Turbos as he didn't have those from my LFS. They took care of the problematic red turf algae that seems to grow everywhere and in any tank condition. With increased feeding and a clean up crew that is taking care of the algae it is no longer a problem.

As far as Alk and Cal I use BRS 1.1ml per minute dosers and their 2 part solution. I watched the alk drop by measuring at the same time everyday for a couple of days and figure out how much is being consumed. I then used math and programmed the timers using my apex to add the appropriate amount of alk solution throughout the day.

Unread 07/30/2014, 09:24 AM   #99
nemonlizzy
Registered Member

Pics of "Algae"

You can see where it has grown VERY hairy in one of the pics, this is in my old 29 I tore down because of this stuff. LFS can be one of the most misleading places to go for information. Even the good ones.

The other pics are of my 65 when this stuff jumped to it. I am so ****ed. I am fully in agreement this stuff does not mimic most algae, it is definitely more like a bacteria. Victories over this stuff, and methods would be very encouraging right about now... It's also in my 10, this crap jumps like crazy!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20140716-00287.jpg (55.2 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg Vero Beach-20140730-00295.jpg (73.6 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg Vero Beach-20140730-00296.jpg (68.8 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg Vero Beach-20140730-00297.jpg (75.2 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg Vero Beach-20140730-00299.jpg (79.1 KB, 86 views)
Unread 07/30/2014, 09:27 AM   #100
nemonlizzy
Registered Member

Nice, you wouldn't think adding nutrients would be part of the solution would you...

THANKS, I'll keep up with it and update anytime I can.