Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/13/2018, 01:49 PM   #1
OceanJack
Registered Member

Contemplating skimmer and return upgrade for 60

So my birthday is coming up soon and I am going to use that as an excuse as normal folks would call it to upgrade or replace certain things on their reef tanks.

I purchased a 60 gallon cube with a 10 gallon sump about 8 months ago, so far everything is working along good. It came with a Mag 7 return pump and ASM Mini-G skimmer.

So far I've got about 5 fish and it's medium stocked I would say. But the Mag 7 was having some issues restarting and sounds like it could use a new impeller.

My needs are something reliable, cost friendly under $300,700-800 gph flow and wants but not necessary-controllable.

for the Skimmer, it is skimming along good so far. Pulling dark skimmate and I have no complaints with it, emptying every 4-5 days.

Should I even bother upgrading the skimmer? If I do, I need something with a smallish footprint for the sump. I know it's rated for 75 gallons but it does not specify whether light/medium or heavily stocked which I would doubt..

I just would like a cost effective and easy to tune skimmer that would handle my 8 fish bioload, I am a heavy feeder as well. would like cost to be under $300 as well.

Any recommendations?

I did see the Jebao return pumps but I am very skeptical on the reliability of those....

OceanJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2018, 10:15 AM   #2
reefteaser
Convince'em or confuse'em

Check out Reef Octopus varios 2 or 4 for some future usability. I’ve been using the older RODC version almost 3 years, very reliable and super easy to clean.

reefteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2018, 10:29 AM   #3
OceanJack
Registered Member

That one definitely caught my eye, the pricing is great and reviews as well.

For the protein skimmer, i think the Eshopps X-120 might be on my to buy list. Any one have any luck with that skimmer?

OceanJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2018, 07:53 AM   #4
LQT
Registered Member

Quite frankly, if your skimmer is pulling out nice dark gunk, why bother changing it? The grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2018, 08:34 AM   #5
steallife904
Registered Member

I have a reef octopus DC return pump running 3 years now. Love the ability to change the flow. I just got a new skimmer, a bubble magus curve elite... it is awesome. If your skimmer is working though I wouldn't worry about it. As for the jebao dc pumps... I had one running on my old skimmer for years no issue, still works today just not using now but I have had no issues with it. I would say its worth a shot.

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote