Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/18/2013, 10:29 PM   #1
bobo33
Registered Member

Is a biocube right for me?

Moving my 40 breeder with T5s to a stock 29 gallon Biocube. Im renovating my house and losing a lot of space in my livingroom to make a bigger kitchen. So I really like the biocubes' size and ease of use, but will it be okay for my live stock. All I have are soft corals and LPS, mostly acans. I also have a hammer and frogspawn, some blastos, and a nice but small platygyra. Will the CF lighting be enough? I regularly spot feed and only keep a couple small fish and a cleaning crew so my food waste is low. Im mostly worried about water quality and the lights.

bobo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2013, 04:31 AM   #2
seuadr
Registered Member

I would recommend stunner strips or led conversation if you have the time/money. Heat can be a problem, I would lean towards led. Or, there is a company offering a kit to double the amount of compact fixtures, which might be to your liking. Stunner strips are likely the cheapest option.

Probably not a bad idea in looking into a tunze or aqyaticlife skimmer and a media basket. They are not a requirement, but make management if water quality much simpler.

seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2013, 08:24 AM   #3
Surefire1
Registered Member

Have you considered the HQI version?

Surefire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2013, 09:38 AM   #4
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

I'd suggest LED lighting as well. I'm not sure if you can get one with the tank or if you'd need to get the Rapid kit. I have a Rapid kit on my 14g and it's great.

Also, have you considered tracking down a used solana? The tank looks 10x better as a whole and really blends into a room better. It looks more like furniture than a fish tank stuck in a room. I have both and much prefer the solana.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2013, 09:46 AM   #5
seuadr
Registered Member

cody has a good point in general about used tanks. I have a biocube, so i am probably not an unbiased source on the look, but, i also picked up my biocube 29 for 75 dollars used, complete with upgraded pumps, skimmer and HOB setup for a reefgum. I decided to go without the HOB, but it is an example of how you can get pretty good deals on stuff on the forums.

seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2013, 01:32 PM   #6
PL-Reef
Awesome Member

I put rapid leds in my BC and love it. I'm not fond of the CF stock lights in BioCubes. Over all I really like my BC but with a few small mods they really make great tanks!

Current Tank Info: 2 gallon goldfish bowl with a happy 7" Naso tang and 2 small Beluga whales. Just added a baby dolphin, large Trigger, a herd of Sea Horses and just fragged my first Manatee. All fish safely hand caught using organic cyanide.
PL-Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2013, 06:17 AM   #7
Biocubehqi
Registered Member

We have the BioCube HQI. It has been a wonderful tank. We have been able to keep zoos, acans, frogspawn, sps, and many others. We have a panorama pro hooked up on our tank, and have been told 3 panorama pros would be sufficient to replace our halide. Although we have been looking into Vegas or ReefBreeders Photon to upgrade to LEDs. The halide does put off a little heat so we do have a small $5 fan pointing across the lid to help with the heat. The open top look was a big seller for us.

Biocubehqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2013, 08:20 PM   #8
bobo33
Registered Member

OK. Thanks all!!! Upgrade my lights and filtration and Im in business! Sounds reasonable. I appreciate it.

bobo33 is offline   Reply With Quote