Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/20/2007, 04:23 PM   #1
heyfredyourhat
Premium Member

Weld-On for plexi and acrylic.....???

I had a sump made for me out of "clear plastic"....I need to make a slight change to it and am wondering if i can use weld on products??? I dont really know if plexiglass or acrylic are the same or differ some way but i thought i should ask just in case i should use different products..

heyfredyourhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2007, 11:01 PM   #2
Acrylics
Registered Member

Plexi-Glas is just a brand name of acrylic. Most likely your sump was made from acrylic and there are a few Weld-on products that can be used; 3, 4, 5, 10, 16, 40, 42, etc. Any of them are suitable for adding baffles and that sort of thing if that's what you're thinking.

James

Acrylics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2007, 11:19 AM   #3
heyfredyourhat
Premium Member

okay thanks for clarifying, i thought so, but sometimes you never know in this hobby

heyfredyourhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2007, 01:56 PM   #4
IPT
Registered Member

OK, I just posted a similar thread/question. Are there any products that Home Depot or Lowes carry to do this? THey do not have Weld On products. I do have some Weld On PVC 2750 though. It'll be a bracket so it'll need to be a good bond. AM I gonna have to get killed in shipping for this stuff (live in Alsaka)?

IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2007, 02:08 PM   #5
Acrylics
Registered Member

oops, double tap

Unread 10/21/2007, 02:08 PM   #6
Acrylics
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IPT
OK, I just posted a similar thread/question. Are there any products that Home Depot or Lowes carry to do this? THey do not have Weld On products. I do have some Weld On PVC 2750 though. It'll be a bracket so it'll need to be a good bond. AM I gonna have to get killed in shipping for this stuff (live in Alsaka)?
PVC pipe cement can glue acrylic if it's got MEK in it. You can also glue acrylic with straight MEK or acetone though the joints may not be as strong as WO. Practice with a coupla pieces and see what you like best would be my best advice. FWIW, MEK is available at most any hardware store in the paint section and acetone as well.

HTH,
James

Unread 10/21/2007, 02:37 PM   #7
IPT
Registered Member

MEK? Is that exactly what I would be looking for? Or Acetone? Any brand name or other name I'd be looking for? Appreciate it.

Unread 10/21/2007, 02:39 PM   #8
IPT
Registered Member

Ah, just looking at the Weld On 2705 - say it conatins Methyl Ethyl Ketone. That's MEK? Maybe I'll give it a try.

Unread 10/21/2007, 06:12 PM   #9
madadi
ReefOG

i used regular acetone that is used as a cleaner from home depot. its called acetone and its in a metal can. make sure you apply pressure and hold it. and work fast because it dries real quick, right away almost. the way i did it is, held the two parts to be bonded together tight and squirted acetone in between. i think its called capillary method. i could be talking about something else though but im pretty sure. it worked really well for me and it was really hard i could't brake the two off unless i smashed them with a hammer.

LETS TRADE YUMAS

Current Tank Info: Glass box.
madadi is offline   Reply With Quote