Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/20/2018, 06:52 AM   #1
SnowflakeE
Registered Member

Question 3000 gallon frag system... Alkalinity?

Hello, I perform regular maintenance on a 3000 gallon frag system with many 100 gallon troughs and one 800 gallon trough with tangs. I dose a kalkwasser-vinegar solution; and use 6 large filter socks as our only source of filtration. As of late the alkalinity has been slowly rising to now about 11.2 from about 8.2 over the last 2-3 weeks. No methods of maintenance have changed and all other parameters remain the same except a slow build-up of nitrates which water changes usually take care of:
Calc: 460-480
Mag: 1350
Phosphate: <0.03
Salinity: 35
Temp: 78-80
PH: 8-8.2
Nitrates: Usually <5 have risen to 25 on occasion.
..I hope to install a large protein skimmer when the funds are available but that doesn't seem to be the near future.
Anyway if anyone can think of any reason the alkalinity would be rising any advice is welcome, also I have stopped dosing kalk in the last few days because calc and alk are so high. To no avail.

SnowflakeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2018, 07:25 AM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Check the salt mix.

Unread 05/20/2018, 08:22 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

It sounds like a clear case of too much kalk...

Unread 05/20/2018, 12:38 PM   #4
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
It sounds like a clear case of too much kalk...
+1 Even if the amount you've been dosing has been steady, rate of consumption can change quickly.

My 80g: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2677031
joshky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2018, 07:54 AM   #5
Jonviviano
Registered Member

Agreed, Too much Kalk. If the funds are not available for a skimmer, I would recommend trying to make one yourself. With a system that large I bet you have plenty of parts to tinker with.

Jonviviano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2018, 08:54 AM   #6
Subsea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowflakeE View Post
Hello, I perform regular maintenance on a 3000 gallon frag system with many 100 gallon troughs and one 800 gallon trough with tangs. I dose a kalkwasser-vinegar solution; and use 6 large filter socks as our only source of filtration. As of late the alkalinity has been slowly rising to now about 11.2 from about 8.2 over the last 2-3 weeks. No methods of maintenance have changed and all other parameters remain the same except a slow build-up of nitrates which water changes usually take care of:
Calc: 460-480
Mag: 1350
Phosphate: <0.03
Salinity: 35
Temp: 78-80
PH: 8-8.2
Nitrates: Usually <5 have risen to 25 on occasion.
..I hope to install a large protein skimmer when the funds are available but that doesn't seem to be the near future.
Anyway if anyone can think of any reason the alkalinity would be rising any advice is welcome, also I have stopped dosing kalk in the last few days because calc and alk are so high. To no avail.

My bad. I pushed the wrong button with fat fingers.

If your frags are growing, your calcium and your alkalinity will come down. No worries.

Without knowing more of system specifics, let me make some comments about using vinegar. It is an organic carbon which is primary food for bacteria. Inorganic carbon dioxide gas grows coral. Dana Riddle article at Advanced Aquaria describes the processes very well.

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2016/9/aafeature

Current Tank Info: 10,000G. Greenhouse Macro Growout

Last edited by Subsea; 05/21/2018 at 09:12 AM.
Subsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2018, 06:53 PM   #7
SnowflakeE
Registered Member

Thanks I did stop on the kalk and numbers are setting down:
Today,
Alk: 10.5
Ca: 450
Mag: 1260

SnowflakeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2018, 07:59 AM   #8
anbosu
Registered Member

If this is a greenhouse/outdoor system and the kalk is part of your ATO system that could be the culprit. Rising temps will cause more evap so you'll in effect be dosing more.

anbosu is offline   Reply With Quote