Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/26/2017, 03:42 PM   #1
Reefstart
Registered Member

125 reef

Just now starting to set up the tank but figured I'd go ahead and get a build thread started on it so I can keep track of progress and if any questions pop up i may post them here as well as the noob threads if there isn't already an answer out there. I've done a reef tank before but lost everything during the move to FL 5 years ago and so much has changed I might as well be a noob again.

Anyway, tank is a 125 AGA, diy stand and 55G sump, dual CPR CS102 HOB overflows, Tunze 9410 skimmer and Reef Octopus return pump for now until the L1's hit the market again. Planning on SBReef lighting, most likely dual 32 inch extreme units. Not quite sure on powerheads atm but will figure those out as soon as I find out where the dead spots in my tank are. I did purchase 4 cheapo PH for like $20 for mixing water and they claim 580 gph but I doubt those numbers, but at least I can have a rough idea of what's needed to keep everything up and flowing.

100 lbs of dead live rock arrives tomorrow to start curing and then to cycle so it will probably be a month or 2 before an aquascape update but here are this pics I have so far of the progress.... hope you enjoy and feel free to throw suggestions at me if you see something I'm missing

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Reefstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2017, 05:46 PM   #2
Reefstart
Registered Member

100lbs of fiji dead rock arrived today. Already got it in the salt bath curing but couldn't resist a dry mock up before throwing it in...... loving the outcropping on the top right but feeling like there should be something in the middle, some type of column or freestanding shelf

Unread 09/28/2017, 09:52 AM   #3
tjm9331
Registered Member

looking good, following along.

tjm9331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2017, 05:49 AM   #4
Reefer40b
Registered Member

Damn that stand could support like 6 125 stacked! wont ever have to worry about that one

Owner Hidden Treasure Corals LLC
Reefer40b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2017, 07:05 AM   #5
Reefstart
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer40b View Post
Damn that stand could support like 6 125 stacked! wont ever have to worry about that one
The wife wouldn't let me go with 2x4 all the way around lol.... And I'd rather do it her way and not hear I told you so when a 7.0 earthquake randomly hits FL and causes it to collapse after standing for 15 years

Unread 10/01/2017, 08:48 AM   #6
James404
I <3 Acros

Good start so far, following along.

Unread 10/06/2017, 02:29 PM   #7
Reefstart
Registered Member

9 days of 60 pounds of Fiji in water with Bio-Spira added each time I change the water vs 6 days of 40 pounds of rock in tank with 40 pounds of live sand and 20 pounds of filler sand/crushed coral. Tank is already reading 2ppm NO2- while rock with no sand is still spiking the NH3 every 3 days or so...... I think I'll just quit buying the additives and throw all the rock in the tank once I add a few more bags of sand to get the bed I want. May have to hit the LFS tonight and get to work aquascaping. I'm sure phosphates are probably off the charts atm since it was dead rock but no plans on lighting any more than moonlight a few hours until I'm doing the full gamut of testing and everything's under control

On another note, pump and skimmer are finally in. Tunze 9410DOC is currently running in break-in mode in approx 7 inches of water and the pump is flowing nicely. Ended up with the VarioS-8 and dual CPR CS102 HOB overflows. Can run pump on full out flood the house mode and the overflows keep up with it without the float switch even bobbing. Now to convince the wife to let me go ahead and order the SBREEF extreme 32" fixtures. Planning on 2 for a total of around 726W LED.... I'd say should be plenty for some SPS. And for under a grand you can't find that power elsewhere, with the control you have on those fixtures anyways.