Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/02/2012, 07:50 PM   #1301
mos90
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big cats View Post
mos90, what light fixture are you using? I know all fixtures affect par differently. Well at least reflectors and ballasts do. Just curious as to which you were using.

I am using an aquatic life 6 bulb fixture. 12x39w

mos90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2012, 09:21 PM   #1302
TropTrea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96p993 View Post
8 bulb ATI with 2 Reefbrite all blue LED's supplementing....I have these options for bulbs:

2 Super Actinic
1 White Actinic
6 Blue Plus
1 Fiji Purple
1 KZ Purple
1 Coral Plus
2 Aqua Special

Im wanting to keep A blue plus and super actinic in the 3 and 6 positions for dawn/dusk but Im open on the others. So far I have not been impressed with the aquablue specials...I like a 20Kish look...Opinions??
From front to back
Blue Plus
Aqua Blue Special
Blue Plus
either the Filu or KZ Purple (I'd use the KZ)
Blue Plus
Aqua Blue Special
Super Atinic
Blue Plus

Current Tank Info: Main tank 120 Gallon, 432 Watts T-5's plus 30 Watts of LED's, Frag 40 Gallon tank 234 Watts T-5's, 3 Frag tanks all 40 Gallon with LED lighting between 60 and 84 Watts. All LEDs are DIY Oh and then there is fresh water tanks 270 gallons
TropTrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2012, 11:53 AM   #1303
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96p993 View Post
8 bulb ATI with 2 Reefbrite all blue LED's supplementing....I have these options for bulbs:

2 Super Actinic
1 White Actinic
6 Blue Plus
1 Fiji Purple
1 KZ Purple
1 Coral Plus
2 Aqua Special

Im wanting to keep A blue plus and super actinic in the 3 and 6 positions for dawn/dusk but Im open on the others. So far I have not been impressed with the aquablue specials...I like a 20Kish look...Opinions??
Blue Plus
Fiji Purple
Super Actinic
Blue Plus
Actinic White
Blue Plus
Blue Plus or coral plus (try both
Blue Plus

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
The Grim Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2012, 01:10 PM   #1304
drtrash
Registered Member

Looking for a T-5 bulb recomendation to supplement AI sole blue. Need to fill the color void nees more red, and maybe gree (I think) considering the fiji purple special and either a Aquasun, Aqua flora, or GE 6500K daylight.

Should of searched more, looks like a GE 6500K & a purple plus would fill void. Is the fiji purple special same as purple plus or is it same as fiji purple?

Last edited by drtrash; 04/05/2012 at 01:23 PM.
drtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2012, 10:24 PM   #1305
mbg75
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reefer View Post
It5 can be. Little surprised you are already getting the rings. What brand lamps are you using?
ATI bulbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 04/05/2012, 10:51 PM   #1306
ReefMonkey13
Registered Member

I have a 30W X 24L X 24H tank that i will need to light.

I have the tank current lit by 2 Vertex illumilux Strips while I decide on more lighting.

Would a 4 bulb T5 fixture supplemented by 2 Vertex LED Strips be enough? or should i Oped for a 6 bulb fixture with the same supplementation.

Looking to keep a mixed reef SPS, LPS, maybe a clam and Zoos.

Thanks in advance for the guidance

ReefMonkey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2012, 05:14 PM   #1307
PhishTanks
Registered Member

I want to setup a 29 gallon mixed reef with a few sps up top and a clam on the sand bed.
Tank is 30 long by 12 by 18tall. I can only fit 4 bulbs in the canopy. Will this work out for me? Or should I go with metal halide?

PhishTanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2012, 08:04 PM   #1308
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtrash View Post
Looking for a T-5 bulb recomendation to supplement AI sole blue. Need to fill the color void nees more red, and maybe gree (I think) considering the fiji purple special and either a Aquasun, Aqua flora, or GE 6500K daylight.

Should of searched more, looks like a GE 6500K & a purple plus would fill void. Is the fiji purple special same as purple plus or is it same as fiji purple?
Just about the same. The GE and Purple will fill in what you are looking for. A 75/25 UVL lamp might be a one lamp solution.

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
Unread 04/08/2012, 08:08 PM   #1309
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefMonkey13 View Post
I have a 30W X 24L X 24H tank that i will need to light.

I have the tank current lit by 2 Vertex illumilux Strips while I decide on more lighting.

Would a 4 bulb T5 fixture supplemented by 2 Vertex LED Strips be enough? or should i Oped for a 6 bulb fixture with the same supplementation.

Looking to keep a mixed reef SPS, LPS, maybe a clam and Zoos.

Thanks in advance for the guidance
6 lamps. Don't know anything about the LED's you are running but I would assume with 6 lamps you'd be good.

Unread 04/08/2012, 08:09 PM   #1310
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishTanks View Post
I want to setup a 29 gallon mixed reef with a few sps up top and a clam on the sand bed.
Tank is 30 long by 12 by 18tall. I can only fit 4 bulbs in the canopy. Will this work out for me? Or should I go with metal halide?
4 lamp LET retrofit from Reefgeek. 2 Blue Plus, 1 Purple Plus and a Coral Plus ATI lamps./

Unread 04/08/2012, 08:26 PM   #1311
bellis31
Registered Member

Hey Grim I have all ATI bulbs in a cheap T5 4x39 watt light, I have purchased a TEK Elite 6x39 watt light and I am wondering if I will see a difference in color and brightness due to the better reflectors and ballasts with the TEK?

2 Radion G3's + Apex Jr Controller + WXM
bellis31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2012, 08:30 PM   #1312
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellis31 View Post
Hey Grim I have all ATI bulbs in a cheap T5 4x39 watt light, I have purchased a TEK Elite 6x39 watt light and I am wondering if I will see a difference in color and brightness due to the better reflectors and ballasts with the TEK?
Depends on how utterly crappy your fixture is but the critters will know the difference.

Unread 04/08/2012, 09:09 PM   #1313
bellis31
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reefer View Post
Depends on how utterly crappy your fixture is but the critters will know the difference.
It's on Odyssea... I'm guessing it's gonna be a lot better! :-)

I have

Blue + x2
Purple + x1
KZ New gen 14K X1

bulbs now what should I add in the other 2 slots of the TEK Elite 6x39?? 2 more Blue + or actinics?

Thanks!

2 Radion G3's + Apex Jr Controller + WXM
bellis31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2012, 10:49 PM   #1314
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellis31 View Post
It's on Odyssea... I'm guessing it's gonna be a lot better! :-)

I have

Blue + x2
Purple + x1
KZ New gen 14K X1

bulbs now what should I add in the other 2 slots of the TEK Elite 6x39?? 2 more Blue + or actinics?

Thanks!
Id do a Blue Plus and maybe a GE 6500K unless you are looking for a more blue look than you have now. Then do 2 Blue Plus

Unread 04/09/2012, 10:25 AM   #1315
gas7057
Registered Member

I'm sure it has been asked many times in the 53 pages of this thread but...

I just got a ATI Sunpower 6x54 for my 75g mixed. Can you reccomend bulbs, placement and which ones are for dawn/dusk?

gas7057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2012, 10:39 AM   #1316
mos90
Registered Member

i was running 4-blue plus,1purple plus, 1- coral plus in my 6bulb. it was just a touch to blue for my liking 25k ish. definately more blue then my 20k leds. i added new aquatic life 10k i had lying around in place of 1 of the blue+'s and i really like the like it.

i have a handful of fish that like to jump so i use a black eggcrate to cover the tank. it definately lowers the par by about 30% ...fyi . so i raised my daylight from 3 to 5 hours when i added the solid eggcrates(i had the centers cut out but im worried my scotts fairy wrasse will jump out) slowly working up to 8 hours.

Unread 04/09/2012, 05:46 PM   #1317
mgould73
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgould73 View Post
I have an aquatinics TX5 36" 5 bulb fixture that I just replaced 2 Aquablue specials in. My tank is a 57G Rimless.

Bulb combo from front to back.

1.Blue Plus
2.Coral Plus
3.ATI Purple +
4.Blue Plus
5.Coral Plus

I really like the way the color looks instead of running the aquablues.

Am i gaining or losing anything from swapping out the Aquablues to Coral +'s? I mainly just have a few softies and LPS but would like to keep a few of the easier SPS towards the top if this fixture is enough light.

Input would be appreciated.
Thanks Grim, is there also any benefit from switching the bulbs to different spots? Any difference in color putting the Purple + after the blue+ and moving the coral plus to position 3?

1.Blue
2.Purple
3.Coral
4.Blue
5.Coral

Since the bulbs are staqgered in this fixture it seems to spread light differntly then in standard flat fixtures. Not sure if thats good or bad, but it seems to mix the colors better.

mgould73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2012, 10:52 AM   #1318
khjenki
Registered Member

I have been running ATI bulbs...2 blue plus, a purple plus and an aquablue special. I just replaced them with some Giesmann bulbs only because my lfs had a good price on them. Unfortunately, I don't think I picked the right bulb combo. I would like more blue without killing growth too much.

I'm bought 2 aquablue plus, an actinic plus and the pink bulb and found it too bright. For the time being, I pulled one of the aquablue plus bulbs in favor of one of my old ATI blue +.

I'm thinking I should replace one of the aquablue plus daylight bulbs with either another actinic plus or a true actinic. I really only want to buy one more bulb, so I'm interested in a Giessmann and a non-Giesmann rec if anyone is willing to share their opinion. Thanks.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 30 gal AIO Reef, 30 gal and 10 gal Freshwater
khjenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2012, 01:56 PM   #1319
mgould73
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khjenki View Post
I have been running ATI bulbs...2 blue plus, a purple plus and an aquablue special. I just replaced them with some Giesmann bulbs only because my lfs had a good price on them. Unfortunately, I don't think I picked the right bulb combo. I would like more blue without killing growth too much.

I'm bought 2 aquablue plus, an actinic plus and the pink bulb and found it too bright. For the time being, I pulled one of the aquablue plus bulbs in favor of one of my old ATI blue +.

I'm thinking I should replace one of the aquablue plus daylight bulbs with either another actinic plus or a true actinic. I really only want to buy one more bulb, so I'm interested in a Giessmann and a non-Giesmann rec if anyone is willing to share their opinion. Thanks.

I still think for a 4bulb setup, your previous combo was pretty much standard for growth/color.

If you want to stay with giessmann then pickup another actinic plus (similiar to ATI blue +), pure actinic your going to lose par. Or just get a new ATI Blue + and pull out your old Blue+ and replace it with the new one.

mgould73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2012, 03:50 PM   #1320
TropTrea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khjenki View Post

If you have to go with GMann bulbs what I would use are

2 Atinic Plus
1 Aqua Pink
1 Aqua Blue

but I would feel much more comfortable with ATI Bulbs
2 Blue Plus
1 Purple Plus
1 Aqua Blue Special

Years ago I I was able to get a deal on UVL bulbs because a wholesaler was discontinuing handling them. The price was right but I never was never happy with the color untill I went back to ATI Bulbs. Gmann many people claim are a step above the UVL in the right combination but few put Gman over ATI's bulbs.

Current Tank Info: Main tank 120 Gallon, 432 Watts T-5's plus 30 Watts of LED's, Frag 40 Gallon tank 234 Watts T-5's, 3 Frag tanks all 40 Gallon with LED lighting between 60 and 84 Watts. All LEDs are DIY Oh and then there is fresh water tanks 270 gallons
Unread 04/10/2012, 04:01 PM   #1321
TropTrea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas7057 View Post
I'm sure it has been asked many times in the 53 pages of this thread but...

I just got a ATI Sunpower 6x54 for my 75g mixed. Can you reccomend bulbs, placement and which ones are for dawn/dusk?
For bulbs I would recommend either of two options

1 GE 65,000 or an ATI Aqua Blue Special
1 ATI Purple Plus
4 ATI Blue Plus

The GE bulb will give a "Whiter" look so it is a little on personal preference. But whit the Aqua Blue Special you may lack a little in the reflective reds.

For Dawn to dusk. Again personal preference between running 2 ATI BLue Plus bulbs or 1 ATI Blue Plus and 1 ATI Purple Plus.

For bubl placement I like the full spectrum bulb (either the GE or the Aqua Blue) in the third position from the front. Then have a Blue Plus on each side of it in position 2 and 4 from the front. Now depending on if you want ttwo Blue Plus bulbs or a Purple Plus in Dawn to dusk will determine position 5. If yYou put the Blue Plus in there then position 6 would be my purrple plus.

Now I am assuming 2 and 5 are your dawn to dusk positions.

Unread 04/12/2012, 12:24 PM   #1322
jacob.morgan78
Registered Member

I have the 72" aquatic life fixture. 12 36" 39 watt bulbs in six rows. I'm curious if the bulb configuration has enough of the correct spectrum for my mixed reef. I wouldn't usually be concerned but I'm getting a maxima clam and want it to be healthy. I'm ordering it from live aquaria so I'm assuming they have it under metal halides. So is this ok? Can I get away with leaving the clam on the sand? It's a 6' 125 gallon tank.

Front
ATI Blue+
Aquatic Life Purple bulb
GE 6500K
ATI Blue+
ATI Coral+
ATI Blue+

Rows 2 and 4 are the twilight rows

Thanks for any guidance!!

jacob.morgan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2012, 12:33 PM   #1323
mos90
Registered Member

i have the same fixture. i tried the purple on the twilight, i did not like it. it was to white for me so i have 2 blue+'s on 2&4.

as far as with all 6 bulbs on yours is about the same as mine. i have 10k in place of your 6500k. i love it. im guessing 15-18k ish.

how high do u plan to hang it? any tops? if u hang it at 8" above the water with no tops your clam should be fine. par should be 150ish on the sand.

Unread 04/12/2012, 01:38 PM   #1324
jacob.morgan78
Registered Member

I took off the splash guard and I have screens to keep fish from jumping out from BRS.

I'm also using the legs to place the fixture on top if the aquarium.

jacob.morgan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2012, 03:05 PM   #1325
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob.morgan78 View Post
I have the 72" aquatic life fixture. 12 36" 39 watt bulbs in six rows. I'm curious if the bulb configuration has enough of the correct spectrum for my mixed reef. I wouldn't usually be concerned but I'm getting a maxima clam and want it to be healthy. I'm ordering it from live aquaria so I'm assuming they have it under metal halides. So is this ok? Can I get away with leaving the clam on the sand? It's a 6' 125 gallon tank.

Front
ATI Blue+
Aquatic Life Purple bulb
GE 6500K
ATI Blue+
ATI Coral+
ATI Blue+

Rows 2 and 4 are the twilight rows

Thanks for any guidance!!
Keep the clam up on the rocks under the lamps, about half way or so.