Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 11/19/2011, 05:05 PM   #1
RC Blogs
RSS Poster Robot

Lightbulb Rock on!

Read in RC Blogs.

So the BRS rock arrived today. I can't do too much with it until the weekend, but I've put it outside ready to be seriously powerwashed before I start trying to come up with ideas for aquascaping...

To give an idea of scale, the large flat circular rock with all the protrusions on it towards the upper left is approximately 16" across. It's going to make a wonderful cap to a rock-island in the tank.

This isn't all the rock I'll be using - it's 100 lbs of rock in a 240-gallon tank. I'm going to get some real "live" rock as well - probably about 50 lbs or so, which will still leave me "under" the normal rock quota, but I'm going for a minimalist aquascape, with space for fish to swim. The vision here is a large tank with lots of space, and lots of smaller fish, rather than blowing the 'budget' with a smaller number of tangs. Ok. There may be one (possibly 2) tangs, but only the smaller ones...

I was planning on using aquacon for rock - I liked the way they would specify the size of rock you get, but after reading about their reputation, I'm not considering them any more. Now I'm thinking of using liverocknreef and going for 50 lbs of their Cherry Primo Picked Decorator rock - the photos look amazing.

I've bought some of the "driveway reflectors" from Home Depot, and I'm going to epoxy them into a schedule-40 piping stand, then drill holes in the rock to let me place the rocks on top of each other in islands, and have some stability to boot. I'm thinking 2 main islands, with an arm extending from one of them into the middle of the tank, sort of like an archipelago but underwater :)

Closed Thread