Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/19/2018, 09:01 PM   #4476
jason2459
Registered Member

Do nothing is still my strategy. YMMV

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2018, 10:46 AM   #4477
MuscleFish
Registered Member

1ml of peroxide is good for 10g water each 12h?

Thanks

MuscleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2018, 11:55 AM   #4478
rjjr1963
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleFish View Post
1ml of peroxide is good for 10g water each 12h?

Thanks
I used 10ml in a 40 gallon tank. It didn't do a damn bit of good. I've read but can't confirm that it breaks down in about 8hrs.

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon reef
rjjr1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2018, 11:02 AM   #4479
DNA
Registered Member

I've got some very good leads for you to play with.

Today I took a quick look to see if the internet has come up with a solid solution for the dino epidemic and was disappointed to see it seems to be lost and confused.
With all those people with the same problem we should the further down the road already.

I've been able to keep my tank dino free for a very long time and to grow montipora successfully, but my test acropora frags usually fade away in a few months.

Even when the tank had no visible dinos at all I was able to make them reappear for a single day with two methods.

The first one was quite a surprise since I added only about 1 gallon of fellow reefers tankwater to my own and the following day I had a single patch about one square feet and the following day after it was gone for good.

The other one was an experiment that I was quite confident that would bring dinos back. I had been running the tank in algae based mode for the duration, but elected to give GFO a go at the accumulated algae in the display tank and to see if it would help with the sps. Over the years I've noticed that when you replace the GFO media there is always less of it to remove than it was before and if you put your sandbed in a bucket and leave it there for some weeks the white sides of the bucket will turn brown.
I opted this time to use more GFO than usual and not to throw away the dust that comes out with new media as I've always done and for a single day I got most of my sand covered with a thin layer of dinos. The following day I could hardly see them and then they where gone. After running GFO for a month or two the dinos slowly started to show up as the GFO in the reactor dissolved.

I've noticed that the tank is generally doing better when the skimmate is greenish rather than brownish and as some of you know iron is known for red coloring in nature so that has been in my spotlight as a player for dinos for quite some time. I can speculate that iron is vital for dinos or the effect that iron has on the water chemistry can cause a dino bloom or the combination of these or something entirely different is going on, but I leave with saying that iron is a major player.

Have fun!

DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2018, 10:58 PM   #4480
CLJ94104
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscultho View Post
If i were a betting man....and i am....the dinos will be back. Especially if you have a sand bed. Dinos have a way of forming a protective barrier and hiding to wait out the bad times (chemicals) and come out a visit when the time is right.

Ive had the dinos receed for several months after chemical treatments and then out of nowhere the dinos blow up once the N & P levels bottom out.

If you beat it with dino x....thats great and your the first person ive met who beat dinos with this product.

Just an update, my tank is still dino free after treating with Dino-X.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CLJ94104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2018, 06:49 PM   #4481
lnbski3
Registered Member

In a old tank I successfully used Diflucan to treat a bad out break of byropsis being dino is a type of algae could the Diflucan eliminate dinos?

Current Tank Info: 50 Gal Corner Bow Front Reef, 90 gal aga reef
lnbski3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2018, 07:18 PM   #4482
bertoni
RC Mod

I haven't read any reports by anyone who has tried fluconazole on dinoflagellates, not that I can remember, anyway, and search didn't turn up much. You could try it, but I wouldn't count on it working.

Unread 09/23/2018, 07:52 AM   #4483
DNA
Registered Member

I'm now in control of my Ostreopsis dinoflagellate blooms.

This was accomplished with GFO being added or removed.
I had been having dinos in my reef tank for years.
First time this happened I took the GFO out and it took about two months for the dinos to vanish.
My findings got posted here, but people seemed to prefer to keep their heads in the sand.

Next time I added GFO in again I totally expected to have dinos showing up again and sure they did, but it took them around two months to get close to bloom levels.
I took the GFO out again and it took the same time for them to fade away. It's this delayed effect that makes it so difficult to spot GFO as a culprit.

The third event was a flash appearance when I let the fine dust from a freshly added GFO in the tank unfiltered.
I'ts so difficult to get repeated results so this certainly looks like a proper solution to dinoflagellate blooms in our reef tanks.

This result was not a shot in the dark, but years of hard work.
Somehow I think reefers will still prefer to ignore this solution and rather take shots in the dark at something else.
At the same time we need reefers to verify this result by trying it out on their dino blooms.

A study by Dana Riddle points out the iron in our GFO filtered reef tanks is mostly in suspended particulates and not dissolved.
Those particulates are bound to hit the bottom at some point just where our not so beloved dinos like to hang out.
This is why I think iron could be a major player..

Last edited by DNA; 09/23/2018 at 08:36 AM.
Unread 09/23/2018, 10:15 AM   #4484
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thank you, DNA, for all your efforts to help hobbyists solve the problem of dinoflagellates. From what I've read, it's a very difficult problem to solve, because of the wide variation of treatments to combat the wide variation in dino species. I had some luck using UV for my outbreak.

To sum up what you've said in the last few posts, removing GFO from your system has shown to eliminate dinos. Awesome!

Would you care to give us bullet list of your favorite solutions? I, and many others would be eternally grateful! Thanks again!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2018, 10:33 PM   #4485
bertoni
RC Mod

That's interesting. Have you ever tried iron supplementation on its own, to see how that affects the system? I wonder what's actually happening.

Unread 09/29/2018, 08:18 AM   #4486
DNA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
That's interesting. Have you ever tried iron supplementation on its own, to see how that affects the system? I wonder what's actually happening.
No, but I might do the opposite and try aluminium based phosphate media, just to prove my point even further. Since I'm in control I don't see a good reason for further tests right now so there could be a long wait for it.

I also think we should open our eyes for the possibility that cyanobacteria blooms could have the same driving force.

Unread 09/29/2018, 08:40 PM   #4487
jason2459
Registered Member

FWIW, I rarely have used gfo but have spurred on dino/cyano out breaks by heavy over feeding.

Iron is necessary to their existence as it is with most all life. However, since most can benefit from photosynthesis iron plays an important part to the synthesis of chlorophyll. Deplete iron and you hinder their ability to do so. Keep in mind this also applies to other photosynthetic organisms in your tank like corals or anemones.

I do dose a diy iron citrate solution regularly for my ATS. Does not seem to effect my cyano/dino population which is not noticeable currently with the naked eye.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
Unread 09/29/2018, 11:42 PM   #4488
jason2459
Registered Member

Here's an interesting read. Published 2016

Iron-Nutrient Interactions within Phytoplankton.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubme...311126/related

Unread 10/09/2018, 05:00 AM   #4489
giga84
Registered Member

i am new to this hobby.
Please see here for the progress I long thought that the brown stuff was diatoms. But when they were persistant i beleive i may have dinoflagellate's i have upload the video could you please confirm it
If they are! what is the next course of action.

giga84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2018, 06:35 AM   #4490
Diana A
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post

First time this happened I took the GFO out and it took about two months for the dinos to vanish.
My findings got posted here, but people seemed to prefer to keep their heads in the sand.

Next time I added GFO in again I totally expected to have dinos showing up again and sure they did, but it took them around two months to get close to bloom levels.
I took the GFO out again and it took the same time for them to fade away. It's this delayed effect that makes it so difficult to spot GFO as a culprit.

The third event was a flash appearance when I let the fine dust from a freshly added GFO in the tank unfiltered.
I'ts so difficult to get repeated results so this certainly looks like a proper solution to dinoflagellate blooms in our reef tanks.

Somehow I think reefers will still prefer to ignore this solution and rather take shots in the dark at something else.
At the same time we need reefers to verify this result by trying it out on their dino blooms.

A study by Dana Riddle points out the iron in our GFO filtered reef tanks is mostly in suspended particulates and not dissolved.
Those particulates are bound to hit the bottom at some point just where our not so beloved dinos like to hang out.

Well that may explain why I have dinos starting in my tank. I run GFO and recently started dosing Red Sea Coral Colors 4 supplement pack. Bottle "C" is Fe(iron) & complementary metals.

So did you restart your tank., installed UV and/or just eliminated the use of GFO to get rid of the dino?

Last edited by Diana A; 10/09/2018 at 07:19 AM.
Diana A is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2018, 04:05 PM   #4491
shellsea
Registered Member

DNA I also thank you for all your efforts and hard work in helping us all control these beasts. I have read all or most of the posts here. If I am correct you feel that the presence of the dino's in the tank is primarily caused by iron in the GFO or in some other form.
I have been battling the dinos for some time. Never did the scope thing to see what type but they are. They don't show in the sandbed until lights have been on for a few hours being my main identifier. I have had mild success using DINOX and other chemical additives but they clear up and return soon after. I do not use GFO anymore. So what could be the source of iron fueling the dinos? Your thoughts are welcomed.

Unread 11/15/2018, 07:21 AM   #4492
RicGio
Registered Member

Scope view of my invaders.

Anyone want to venture a guess on the species? I'm thinking Ostreopsis...

Great info in this thread BTW. Thank you!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8322.jpg (26.7 KB, 83 views)
RicGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2018, 04:58 AM   #4493
amberjade53
Registered Member

i have heard these help???
https://www.amazon.com/AlgaeBarn-528...lgaebarn&psc=1

amberjade53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2018, 03:52 PM   #4494
bertoni
RC Mod

I'm poor at ids. Someone else might be able to help.

A culture of small animals might help in some way, although not directly. They could redirect the nutrient flow, though.

Unread 12/19/2018, 11:55 PM   #4495
rjjr1963
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicGio View Post
Anyone want to venture a guess on the species? I'm thinking Ostreopsis...

Great info in this thread BTW. Thank you!

Ostreposis. They tend to revolve around a center point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o2alraNmsY

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon reef
rjjr1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2019, 06:58 PM   #4496
JayinToronto
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post

+1 for GFO causing an outbreak. Just starting my dino battle. My outbreak started one day after adding my GFO reactor which had been off-line for about 5 months. Was going on vacation so did a big water change and fired up my phosban reactor and BAM, the next day Dinopalooza Toronto 2019 was kicked off......

Current Tank Info: 400g DT, 150g refugium/sump, 5 Orphek V4 LEDs, Deltec protein skimmer, 8 ecotech MP40s, phosphate reactor, charcoal reactor, Apex controller, 2 part dosing.
JayinToronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2019, 03:12 PM   #4497
Capt Crabtabulous
Registered Member

I see some people say that fresh water kills dinos instantly. Could a person remove their corals, fish etc...from the tank, then fill it full of fresh water? Maybe let the system run for a while so all of the pumps and skimmer get fully exposed.

Capt Crabtabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2019, 04:55 PM   #4498
bertoni
RC Mod

You could try it. I don't know whether that would kill the cysts. If not, the infection might return quickly if there's an underlying issue.

Unread 11/22/2019, 10:01 PM   #4499
Capt Crabtabulous
Registered Member

Does anyone have any experience with killing the cysts with fresh water?

Capt Crabtabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2019, 01:12 PM   #4500
bertoni
RC Mod

I don't know of any experiments.