Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/11/2016, 08:53 AM   #1
bchen7106
Registered Member

How loud are the maxspect gyres?

Was thinking of biting the bullet and finally investing in some of these gyre pumps now that they have the new controller.

I currently have jebao's and they are dead quiet so I don't want to introduce any noisy pumps. How loud are these gyres? I read some early reviews that they can get fairly loud, but not sure if they have remedied that.

Thanks!

bchen7106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2016, 10:22 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

If they are anything like the Jebao Gyres then they are loud..
I have a CP25 and a regular PP4..
I cannot hear the PP4 at all.. I can hear the CP25 all over my house..
Its annoying to say the least..

Unread 10/11/2016, 10:26 AM   #3
Brieninsac
Registered Member

I have a 130 and it's quite below 70%. There is a slight hum when running higher and especially if you're using the pulsing mode, then it's really noticeable.

Unread 10/11/2016, 10:29 AM   #4
Sk8r
RC Mod

I run mine at about 60% and hear no noise...I have a silent overflow and basement sump as well, so I would notice if it were loud. I don't use pulsing mode because I've heard negatives about the longterm effect of it on tank seams, esp. on thin-walled tanks. But the straight-on flow near the surface gets a real good roll under the rocks. My fish have to dive and bob to hold place. I'd adjust it downward for weaker swimmers.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2016, 10:36 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieninsac View Post
I have a 130 and it's quite below 70%. There is a slight hum when running higher and especially if you're using the pulsing mode, then it's really noticeable.
same for the Jebao gyres..
At low power its "fairly quiet" but once you get up there then its absolutely annoying..
So if anything go with one drastically oversized so you can run it very low..

Having had one though.. I wouldn't recommend them over regular controllable powerheads.. I really dislike the flow they produce..
Its a strong/flat linear stream at the top of the tank and a gentle backflow in the rest of the tank.. IMO the "hype" is just people falling for the new thing/marketing fluff..

Unread 10/11/2016, 10:38 AM   #6
jason2459
Registered Member

I run my two maxspect gyres at 100% and I do not notice them at all until my lights/fan turns off. Then I hear a hum. Except when they reverse direction and they make a whirring sound briefly.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2016, 11:20 AM   #7
bchen7106
Registered Member

Hmmmm. Now I'm torn. My plan was to get 2 XF230's and put them on either side of the tank. But I really don't want any more noise in my aquarium. The tank is 5' across. Do you guys think I'd be able to get enough flow keeping it below 50%?

bchen7106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2016, 11:21 AM   #8
jason2459
Registered Member

Or get the xf250s and run at lower percentages.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2016, 11:43 AM   #9
GimpyFin
Registered Member

I've owned the 130 and 150 and they are both pretty quiet (Same as the 230/250, just different controller.) You get them up to about 70 percent or so and you can hear them hum a little, but not bad at all. (I only run my single 150 about 40% or so on a 4' long, 30" deep tank.) The early models had some vibration issues because of inadequate dampening with the mounts, but they're fine now. If your tank is 5' long, I'd do the 250 and just run them a little lower. Not sure what the other dimensions of your tank are, but I'm guessing you probably don't need two of them.

Current Tank Info: 110 gallon
GimpyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2016, 12:13 PM   #10
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchen7106 View Post
Hmmmm. Now I'm torn. My plan was to get 2 XF230's and put them on either side of the tank. But I really don't want any more noise in my aquarium. The tank is 5' across. Do you guys think I'd be able to get enough flow keeping it below 50%?
Or save your money and don't take the chance..

Unread 10/11/2016, 04:52 PM   #11
Thor2j
Registered Member

I have 5' tank. Run 2 150s at about 43%. Don't hear a thing. Work great. Not sure I'd want one, but u can get get great back and forth motion with 2. Move a lot more water then ecotechs.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Thor2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2016, 05:21 PM   #12
downset21
Registered Member

I hear no noise with mine. I am a big fan so far.

downset21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2016, 01:24 PM   #13
rguyler
Registered Member

I have a pair of the XF250s and hear no sound at 60% or below and only a faint whine when above that. Depending on placement and programming, I think you can definitely get enough flow on a 60" tank with 2 of these running @ 60% or less.

Current Tank Info: 120G Reef - AI Hydra 26HD lighting, AquaC Skimmer, Reeflo Blackfin Pump, Gyre XF250 Dual Pumps, Aqua Medic Dosing Alk/Ca/Mg & Vinegar, HydroFill Ti ATO, Basement Sump w/Refugium and Kessil 160 Blue Lights
rguyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2016, 07:07 AM   #14
Centerline
Registered Member

I have 2 150 on a 4' 90. I run them at 40% and they are silent.

Centerline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2016, 09:19 PM   #15
Capt_Dan
Registered Member

Mine are quiet with no issues.

Capt_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2016, 01:01 PM   #16
Mercer
Registered Member

I am using the XF230s on a new tank. I can hear them from across the house and through the walls. My vacuum on low is more tolerable sometimes.

The ambient noise where my tank is setup is 40dBA. Measuring roughly 3" from the side of the tank nearest a single pump set to random it will range from 47dBA with the occasional spike to 58dBA if it's aggressively ramping up. Most often it idles around 51dBA at constant speed.

Prior to this I had the first generation of XF150s on a larger tank (remember the ones with cord cracking issues, easily broken props?) and recall them being far more quiet. I no longer have them to compare unfortunately.

I love the flow but am considering alternative ways of achieving it. I have been in touch with the vendor and they advise that the sound should reduce over time. The verdict is still out until I've had these for awhile.

Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2016, 11:02 PM   #17
lambchops
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercer View Post
I am using the XF230s on a new tank. I can hear them from across the house and through the walls. My vacuum on low is more tolerable sometimes.

The ambient noise where my tank is setup is 40dBA. Measuring roughly 3" from the side of the tank nearest a single pump set to random it will range from 47dBA with the occasional spike to 58dBA if it's aggressively ramping up. Most often it idles around 51dBA at constant speed.

Prior to this I had the first generation of XF150s on a larger tank (remember the ones with cord cracking issues, easily broken props?) and recall them being far more quiet. I no longer have them to compare unfortunately.

I love the flow but am considering alternative ways of achieving it. I have been in touch with the vendor and they advise that the sound should reduce over time. The verdict is still out until I've had these for awhile.
Did they get quieter, I just set up my single 230 and I can hear a whirring noise from about 30 feet when its only at 40%

lambchops is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2016, 11:08 PM   #18
Mercer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambchops View Post
Did they get quieter, I just set up my single 230 and I can hear a whirring noise from about 30 feet when its only at 40%
I've been keeping mine < 50% for now till I figure out how adjust things in a way where I can keep sand on the bottom of my tank. I wouldn't say they are much quieter just yet but there has been a slight improvement (that or I'm just getting used to it being beside my desk). I'll need to grab the db meter some time soon and see if agrees.

Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2016, 11:45 PM   #19
Hentz
Registered Member

I'm a light sleeper... In terms of falling asleep. Noises bug the crap out of me while trying too. That being said, I replaced my 2 MP40's non-QD with 1 Gyre 150 on my 56 gallon tank. While over kill, my tank is completely covered in flow and is as silent as heck. My MP40's were kinda quiet, though I could hear them.

I sleep very comfortably every night with mine running around 40%

Unread 11/24/2016, 02:12 AM   #20
MiddletoM
Registered Member

i have two 150's on pulse mode and I don't hear them until my ear is within about a foot of them

MiddletoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2016, 05:26 PM   #21
gi_eric22
Registered Member

I have a 130 and when it is on pulse above 50% you can hear it.

gi_eric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2016, 05:46 PM   #22
Overboard
Premium Member

I have a single 280 on an 8 ft tank and I think it is very quiet at 50% to 70%. That is on a steady flow. I am pretty impressed and will probably get a second unit.

My tank is in our family room and we need the tank to be silent. So far, very pleased and no complaints from the family.

Good luck!

Unread 11/24/2016, 07:19 PM   #23
wfv57
Registered Member

I'm surprised that anyone hears them at all. Maybe there is some variability with individual units but I can't hear either one of my two when running at 70%.

wfv57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2016, 12:32 AM   #24
lambchops
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfv57 View Post
I'm surprised that anyone hears them at all. Maybe there is some variability with individual units but I can't hear either one of my two when running at 70%.
I noticed that whenever I change anything is makes a buzzing sounds for about three hours and then it goes away. I don't know why as of yet but I'm going to call the manufacturer and ask what's up.

lambchops is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2016, 09:55 PM   #25
roberthu526
Registered Member

I just installed two 250s on my 40 breeder to test them out with the new controller. I have to say it is fairly loud at 50%. I have them running in my home office and from about 4 feet away I can hear them humming. It is not loud but definitely noticeable even with my return pump and skimmer on. I thought it was because the wires were touching something but I hear them even when I hold the wires in my hands so they don't touch anything. I am waiting to see if it gets better tomorrow. I really want to install them in my DT but I am going to take it slow.

roberthu526 is offline   Reply With Quote