Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/08/2018, 08:25 PM   #1
Chris918
Registered Member

Flow Requirements for my new aquarium

Hello,

I have a Reefer 350 and will be housing primarily SPS corals. I was going to shoot for 50x turnover in the tank. I was going to originally purchase two MP40s to do the job. Looking at my display size, (73 gal total w/sump 91) I calculated that to be 3650 gal per hour if I'm correct in only including the display volume. The MP40 is rated at 4500+ GPH. Would I be alright with just one, or would it be better to get two and run them together at a lower settings to achieve the flow?

Thank you!

Chris918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 11:53 PM   #2
thegrun
Registered Member

I think you would be better off with two MP-40's assuming you want to stay with MP pumps. The flow is ajustable so you don't need to ramp them up to 100%.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 01:22 AM   #3
Chris918
Registered Member

I saw a Reefer with two MP-40s on the back panel rather than the side glass. Do you think that would be as effective or worse so? The tank looks even more slick with both the pumps on the back rather than having the dry sides sticking out from the sides. Still whichever is best for the corals is what I'll do. Thank you for your reply.

Chris918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 04:51 AM   #4
whosurcaddie
Registered Member

I personally think it's better to have them on the back glass placed just over your largest rock formations or just to the side. The reason for this is when the flow hits the front glass it will spread out and crash back into the rock causing all different types of swirling flows within the rock work. Both ways will work though.

You will want to have a larger grain sized sand if you do this, Oolitic sand won't work it will just get blown around. Something in the 3 to 4mm range.

whosurcaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 04:57 AM   #5
whosurcaddie
Registered Member

The best sand if you want to mount those pumps on the back glass.

https://premiumaquatics.com/products...sand-30lb.html

whosurcaddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flow, mp40, sps