Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Non-Photosynthetic Corals
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/26/2012, 06:04 PM   #1
kjreiner72
Registered Member

Pink Carnation Coral

I have a pink carnation coral and have been feeding it Oysterfest and cylopeez. What else is good for this coral to keep it healthy and thriving? I have only had this coral for 3 weeks but it is doing well. I just want to make sure I'm covering all my bases.

Unread 03/26/2012, 06:27 PM   #2
gemini aquarius(t)
Always Learning

I'm in the exact same shoes. Subscribed

Unread 03/26/2012, 07:12 PM   #3
debben69
Registered Member

I've had mine for 4 months. Just been feeding cyclopeze and baisting my rock work. I keep it in the shadows and just enough flow to make the main stem move slightly. I've heard its usually on a death sentence and its just a matter of time. They belong in the ocean for sure but I found one at the lfs and I wasn't about to drive a thousand miles to the ocean to save it lol.

debben69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2012, 08:12 PM   #4
kjreiner72
Registered Member

I have mine at the bottom of the tank in a corner, but with flow from the vortech. The pink polyps are out everyday to catch food. Mine is very small yet, not much of a stem to speak of.

Unread 03/27/2012, 07:27 AM   #5
username in use
Sciencing Daily

I see a response on mine from cyclopeeze (a little), Rotifers, daphnia and the blended foods. I think that even though it has a decent sized polyp it still seems to react more to the smaller foods.

"With fronds like these, who needs anemones?" - Albert Einstein

Current Tank Info: multiple nano's sprinkled around the house
username in use is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2012, 10:54 PM   #6
Scizzle
Registered Member

I've been using marine snow, phyto, and a powdered substance I can't seem to think of at this moment. But they all seem to work well.

Various Zoas | 1 Acan | meteor shower safastria | 7 ricordia | big frogspawn | 2 non branching and 5 branching Duncan's | GSP | pulsing xenia | mushrooms | palythoas | hammer coral | torch coral | pipe organ | orange fungia | pagoda cup | two ocellaris clowns | foxface | 2 blennies | 2 bangais | YWG

Current Tank Info: 110 gallon oceanic dual overflow 60" tank | 33 gallon sump | 2 Ecotech Radion LED's | reef octopus skimmer | reeflo snapper 2500gph return pump | 2 next reef reactors denitrate and roa | 2 koralia 1440's for flow | eheim heater
Scizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2012, 08:50 PM   #7
kjreiner72
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scizzle View Post
I've been using marine snow, phyto, and a powdered substance I can't seem to think of at this moment. But they all seem to work well.
How long have you had your carnation coral? Do you target feed it or just add the food to the water? How often do you feed this coral? Do you feed all three things every week?

Unread 03/28/2012, 11:11 PM   #8
Scizzle
Registered Member

Had it 4 weeks. I target feed it when it opens up. I try to feed it everyday. I mix it up changing which food I use every few days. Seems to be working well. I shut off everything in the tank except a power head for flow and let it blow food all throughout the tank to feed all my corals not just the carnations.

Various Zoas | 1 Acan | meteor shower safastria | 7 ricordia | big frogspawn | 2 non branching and 5 branching Duncan's | GSP | pulsing xenia | mushrooms | palythoas | hammer coral | torch coral | pipe organ | orange fungia | pagoda cup | two ocellaris clowns | foxface | 2 blennies | 2 bangais | YWG

Current Tank Info: 110 gallon oceanic dual overflow 60" tank | 33 gallon sump | 2 Ecotech Radion LED's | reef octopus skimmer | reeflo snapper 2500gph return pump | 2 next reef reactors denitrate and roa | 2 koralia 1440's for flow | eheim heater
Unread 03/29/2012, 02:40 PM   #9
slapshot
Registered Member

Those are both Scleronephthyas. They are the one of those corals most struggle with long term. They seem to go perfect for 6 to 8 months and then shrink away. I have never been able to keep them longer than 8 months. You might look into Fauna Marin foods. They have mucus and bacteria products that these are suppose to feed on. truthfully no one knows but better to throw the kitchen sink at them.

slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2012, 09:46 PM   #10
gohstwrighter
Registered Member

i recently got one of thees and am hoping to set up a nano 20 galon to run as a non-photosenthitic tank i have had some sun polyps for a few years most have died buy not feading enough but i thank a small tank i can feed beter.

gohstwrighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2012, 06:45 AM   #11
Scizzle
Registered Member

That's what I thought they were but at least ten people said they were carnations so I went along with it.

Unread 03/30/2012, 07:22 AM   #12
kjreiner72
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scizzle View Post
That's what I thought they were but at least ten people said they were carnations so I went along with it.
What's the difference between the two?

Thanks for everybodies input it is greatly appreciated!!!!

Unread 03/30/2012, 07:50 AM   #13
username in use
Sciencing Daily

Its common name stuff which confuses people. Scleronepthea (what you have) is called "flower tree coral" for a common name, and Dendronethea is called "carnation tree coral" as a common name. They are both nepthea's, but their growth form is a little different if you google both you should be able to see the difference.

Unread 03/30/2012, 08:54 PM   #14
kjreiner72
Registered Member

I hate those big names and when a coral has a couple of them. I plain dummy terms. It helps me keep everything straight.

Unread 04/01/2012, 03:43 AM   #15
slapshot
Registered Member

+1 what Username said

Unread 04/01/2012, 06:02 AM   #16
username in use
Sciencing Daily

Its actually a whole lot easier if you never get into the common names and just follow the scientifics.

Just remember Sclero and Dendro and you have the difference.

Unread 04/01/2012, 03:51 PM   #17
kjreiner72
Registered Member

Ok. Thanks.

Unread 05/10/2012, 03:22 PM   #18
sea witch1
Registered Member

I tried to keep one of these and lost it after a few months. I wish there were a way to keep them. They are beautiful. I'm searching the threads hoping to find some insight

sea witch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2012, 09:00 PM   #19
MarineSniper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
Those are both Scleronephthyas. They are the one of those corals most struggle with long term. They seem to go perfect for 6 to 8 months and then shrink away. I have never been able to keep them longer than 8 months. You might look into Fauna Marin foods. They have mucus and bacteria products that these are suppose to feed on. truthfully no one knows but better to throw the kitchen sink at them.
+1 on the Fauna Marin

I have a plastic case about the size of a shoebox filled with frozen foods for feeding my nps collection but still add FM to every one. I would try the Ultra Min F and Ultra Sea Fan for smaller polyps. I would definitely consider target feeding if those are added; they're powerful stuff and wouldn't want it settling all over My tank! Great stuff and while I can't say it has kept all my nps in the shape they are, I personally believe it has helped and I'm not about to change what has worked thus far!

MarineSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2012, 09:15 PM   #20
slapshot
Registered Member

I've tried just about everything and even kept one for almost a year. FM is the best product. You can get it from Cherry Corals. In the end though they shrank away.

Unread 05/10/2012, 10:13 PM   #21
Terryz_
Registered Member

Yup, they shrank away in the end... I have a few were opening and feeding but they keep getting smaller and smaller..

Terryz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2012, 06:41 PM   #22
sea witch1
Registered Member

update>>> after changing salt, mine shriveled a week or two ago. however, yesterday i noticed that they appear to be regaining thier shape...crossing fingers

sea witch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2012, 06:08 PM   #23
uhuru
Registered Member

I had one hitchhiker colony that did ok for at least a year... it was located right by the food output, and, closest to the light. I don't know if some of them might possibly be partially photosynthetic? But this colony did ok. Always expanded and showed a small amount of growth.

For foods Fauna Marin is the way to go. I still have the whole set of FM azoox foods I'm planning to put up for sale soon.