Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/21/2013, 07:36 AM   #1
TheFisheye
Registered Member

Cool Dual Float valve auto top off

Been thinking about how to do an auto-top off with just mechanical float valves.
I want the top to shut down the system, but not activate the flow until the lower valve is triggered. I want this so that my RODI will run longer per top off(an hour or so)I have made a drawing for what I plan to do, and i didn't know if anyone has tried this or not. I think it should work, but i'm still waiting on the parts to get here. So I can't say for sure myself. I've never seen anything other than a $700 drum on AirWaterIce that can do this. A sliding float would be ideal, but that wont work on a valve type float.

Current Tank Info: 180gal + 46gal bowfront
TheFisheye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2013, 07:45 AM   #2
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

when i ran auto top off dual floats i had the lower on for where the water should always be in the sump so that was my true ATO line. top one was a fail safe just in case if the bottom one got stuck or something water will rise to top float triggering it and killing the ATO water supply.
Now i dont run the system i have genesis renew storm rvoc system that has multiple sensors and does the same with automatic water changes.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2013, 10:23 AM   #3
TheFisheye
Registered Member

Sounds awesome...the reason I want a dual float is so that i can hookup directly to my rodi and not have a big top off drum of water sitting out. I want the dual float so that the rodi doesn't kick on every hour for 30sec when a little bit of evap occurs...i want it to run for a good 20-30 min each time it kicks on...i want the tank to lose a couple gallons, and then fill a couple gallons...as opposed to a constant water level...if you run a rodi like that then you never get clean water to the tank...i want to do this with mechanical floats so that it's pretty failsafe, and cheap(under $40 in parts)....no solenoids, pumps or elec valves...

Unread 01/21/2013, 11:31 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

NO
When the mechanical float sticks/leaks (and it will eventually)... The RO unit continues uninterrupted until the tank overflows and salinity level falls drastically.

A "drum" of water is actually a great failsafe.. Worst case you only dump all the water from the drum into the tank.. Not an endless supply.

Unread 01/21/2013, 05:41 PM   #5
Kawi9_cf
Registered Member

Check out post number 2 of this thread I think it would work very well for what you are wanting to do. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2253390

Kawi9_cf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2013, 05:45 PM   #6
Kawi9_cf
Registered Member

Never mind I just realized you said mechanical float valve lol

Kawi9_cf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2013, 11:20 AM   #7
TheFisheye
Registered Member

Good call Mac...guess ill just keep my sprinkler timer on the faucet, and only let it run a few hours a day...that should keep the risk factor low...the timer by itself was hard to adjust with changes in the weather changing my water evap, but this combo should do the trick, and i wont have to keep guessing...i got the float valves that are supposedly the best...hopefully with fresh water flowing through them they will stay free of buildup, but only time will tell...i'll try to post the pdf of my design...and thanks again Mac for the averted potential disaster...thats why i come here...i have too many ideas, and i need people to wreck them so that i don't wreck my tank...

Unread 01/22/2013, 01:03 PM   #8
rlpardue
Registered Member

FishEye, it's like you've been reading my mind. I've been wondering about this very possibility; it sounds like you're further along and into the planning phase. There is definitely a need to have an ATO reservoir with a RODI-switch that will turn on for longer periods of time rather than for 30-second increments. (This would improve effectiveness of the RODI). KEEP GOING MAN. Figure this one out!

You can figure out a failsafe way to do it afterwards The sprinkler timer sounds promising. Keep me posted!

Also, you mention that you got the supposedly-best float valves - do you have a link? (PM me if mentioning vendors is against rules or something)

EDIT: I just bought an Aquacontroller III on eBay for 85$ - not sure what I'm going to get in the mail but I took a risk on it. Would I be able to set a rule on the Neptune to accomplish the same thing as you're discussing?

Last edited by rlpardue; 01/22/2013 at 01:16 PM.
rlpardue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2013, 12:54 AM   #9
mussel and hate
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
NO
When the mechanical float sticks/leaks (and it will eventually)... The RO unit continues uninterrupted until the tank overflows and salinity level falls drastically.
I've been running a humidifier float valve since the early 90s. I've never experienced a leak... I've experienced clogs when feeding it from a kalk res but never a leak.

You've actually examined a mechanical float valve right? Where's the leak going to occur? If I were the paranoid type I might run a high level shut-off either a float switch with a solenoid or ... wait for it... another mechanical float pinching a silicone hose.

Float valves are in every furnace humidifier and cattle watering station. These things don't just spring leaks spontaneously.

mussel and hate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2013, 08:21 PM   #10
tleip
Registered Member

I have a 3 gal RO tank that gets replenished daily by my RO (on a timer so it runs only 1x per day) connected to a float valve in my sump -- worked for almost 10 years now without a mishap.

Just my experience,

T

tleip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asov, auto, float, sump, top off