Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/15/2016, 09:56 PM   #76
gdemos
Registered Member

Looking forward to your progress Sahin. Looks like you'll get sufficient nutrient export as described but don't rule out biopellets entirely yet!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gdemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2016, 11:02 AM   #77
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell View Post
Sahin
Looking good, I have a deltec skimmer on my frag qt tank and its great bit of kit it was on my last tank . Be good to see how your sps get on .
Bil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
Waiting to see all your giant acro colonies! But we'll settle for a "cycle is done" update
Quote:
Originally Posted by swk View Post
Can't wait to further enjoy the progress sahin!

Thanks for the interest in the tank my friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seachange View Post
Hi Sahin, putting off chaeto is a good decision. With that much of siporax and matrix I think nutrient export will be just fine. Plus the messiness the chaeto will cause to your clean and minimalist looking sump....

Leave the chaeto for a proper refugium tank

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thats the idea; keeping the sump clean. I've looked at the threads of some of the Brazilian reefkeepers. Denadai comes to mind right away; Siporax and nothing else. Not even liverock or sand. And still maintained great SPS colours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milsaltnewbie07 View Post
HOLY Cow Sahin that is one Gorgeous tank man wow. If this is anything like your last , then this might just be the sexiest thing out here lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Costa View Post
Really nice......subscribed it....
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllongjk View Post
Well Sahin,

I'm glad to see you got the upgrade you've always wanted. I hope the family is doing well as well as the new additions. I love that new baby smell, until they start pooping. LOL!

Nah, you and I are in the same boat, 3 kids and trying to keep the fish tank dream going. I am trying to talk the wife into an upgrade but I honestly couldn't do one unless we moved, there just isn't enough room.

Looking great! Take your time.

Jared
Hey Jared. I'm ahead of you buddy. Our new addition (4th) was born last week; baby girl. I now have two boys and two girls.

I always thought a larger tank would = more work. Having had the 4x2 running for a few weeks, its not so bad at all. In fact Its more or less the same amount of work. Other than obviously needing to make more top off and water change water as well as the dosing solutions. But overall it doesnt seem like a chore as I thought it would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTankCorals View Post
The sense of design, style and finesse European reefers have seems to be missing here in the U.S. We have evolved into prioritizing size and quantity over elegance.
Just an observation after watching hundreds, probably thousands of tank builds on various reef sites.
Thank you for the nice comment. I guess you could say the styling is different in Europe. We tend not to have canopies etc. But I've tried to make up for lack of a much larger tank with decent aesthetics...the tank is part of the furniture and must look the part. Else the comments from the wife would never stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdemos View Post
Looking forward to your progress Sahin. Looks like you'll get sufficient nutrient export as described but don't rule out biopellets entirely yet!!

I've bought the Pellets and modded a reactor already so can be added at any time. However with a select fish list I think I can keep the fish load low and wont need to resort to chaeto or even pellets.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2016, 11:26 AM   #78
westreef
Lost as usual

Hi Sahin, congrats on the new addition of a baby girl.

75g, ATI 4x58wT5 LED Hybrid Powermodule, AquaMaxx ConeS 1, 2xMP40wES, RKL controller, Tunze Osmolator
westreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2016, 11:32 AM   #79
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Update on the tank:

So I transferred over lot of my acros now. The tank is now almost 4 weeks old and acros that were transferred over are fine. No STN issues. I keep expecting some loss etc as the tank wasnt started with liverock and yet the most sensitive of SPS corals have been doing fine in the tank.

Here is what the sump looks like. Just a skimmer and Siporax/Matrix. My 2 year old was following me around trying to take photos with his own camera

Current FTS:

Some corals will need to be moved and there are a couple of frags on the sand still. A couple of the blue pieces have started to colour up somewhat. Just hope the rest follow suit.

Looking through my YT channel I came across a video clip of my Red Planet:

I hope the corals look great once again. - The 47G tank has been neglected due to being busy with family and the upgrade. I cant wait to see the health and colour return to the corals and they look as good as the Red Planet.

Unread 11/16/2016, 01:16 PM   #80
reefmutt
Registered Member

Looking awesome, Sahin!
So happy to see that fts.
Can't wait to see it begin to grow in.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2016, 01:44 PM   #81
cFloor
Registered Member

Wow! Well done sahin. Everything is looking amazing.

Instagram: @cfloorsaltwater
cFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2016, 01:53 PM   #82
Rakie
In Memoriam

Yep, that FTS makes me immediately regret not getting 100% branch for my tank. The more I think about it, the more I see that branch is perfect for SPS tanks.. Especially because they don't block that ever-important flow.

And that sump looks sharp! Seeing that reminds me that unless someone sets up my system for me I'm always going to have wires and tubes looking unkempt lol

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2016, 02:46 PM   #83
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Congratulations on the birth of your baby girl Sahin.

Your tank looks awesome, not to mention your sump. Looking at the space available, do you think I can squeeze a Deltec kalkstirrer in there?

Are you using ATI hybrid or Pacific Sun to illuminate your tank?

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2016, 02:47 PM   #84
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Double post again. What is wrong with me?

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2016, 06:14 PM   #85
Usernam Invalid
Moved On

Congrats on the new addition to the family Sahin.

Can't wait to see this tank fill in.

Usernam Invalid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2016, 06:43 PM   #86
stonecold
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post

Current FTS:
Nice and tidy.

Unread 11/16/2016, 09:21 PM   #87
markalot

Looks fantastic! Nice, clean, and artistic.

Larger tank = less work IMO. Add Foxface, done. He even cleans the pumps when they are on slow mode for feeding. That and the Kole tang, hardest working fish in the tank. I swear without those two I would be overrun with algae.

Unread 11/16/2016, 10:08 PM   #88
cpllongjk
Registered Member

Things are looking great! I really wish I could upgrade but currently there's just no room.

Your corals will grow and fill out very soon, no worries. I'm glad you went with ati hybrid because out of all the lights I've ever owned, I've been most happy with the ati hybrid, even with its known problems.

cpllongjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2016, 10:09 PM   #89
cpllongjk
Registered Member

Congrats on the newest addition. Babies are a blessing!

cpllongjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2016, 03:16 AM   #90
biggles
Registered Member

Congratulations Sahin, pleased to hear both your new babies are doing well mate, obviously you'll give her a from me

Knew you would like the compact Deltec skimmers, i have an older model 1455 which easily handles my 750L system with ruthless efficiency - and most importantly for me is it's very, very quiet. My head is 6ft from the skimmer when i go to bed as the display is beside the bedroom door..........

I really like your new scape and especially the acros down over the sand, nothing looks as cool as a table hovering 1" off a white sand bed

# from Sahin's history with sneaky frag hiding it is possible he has a fifth child hidden somewhere in the house as we speak........

Unread 11/17/2016, 08:13 AM   #91
tmc1313
Registered Member

Sweet! I think the overall layout and scaping is perfect. Great job, this is one thread I'll be looking for updates on. Really nice!

Unread 11/17/2016, 10:09 AM   #92
GSMclowns
A Reef Enthusiast

Hi Sahin,

few questions if you don't mind.
How do you like the new Deltec skimmer so far? I have been thinking about upgrading my skimmer from a EuroReef100 to something bigger but don't know which one to buy. My tank is a 120 gallons Display tank with a 40 gallons breeder sump.. So about 120 gallons total water volume.

Also are you using filter sock at all on your new system? Since you are using Siporax, is there any debris getting into those siporax? How often do you take those siporax out and shake them?

Thanks

·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>
GSMclowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2016, 10:22 AM   #93
JB NY
Registered Member

The tank looks really great Sahin! lots of room for corals to grow, I am excited for you!

TOTM Sept 2002 | Reefland April 2004 | CORAL Magazine Nov 2007
Featured Tank "Coral Reef Aquarium" 2011 | Reef Spotlight 2018

Current Tank Info: 270G SPS Tank, 140G sumps, 35G Frag Tank, Ultra Reef Akula UKS-200 Skimmer, Apex, Giesemann Spectra 3x250W MH 4x80W T5, 2xReefbrite Tech 72" Blue LED, Triton Dosing, ARID C30 Algae Reactor, Maxspect Gyre
JB NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2016, 11:28 AM   #94
hbrochs
Registered Member

Moving tank

Looks amazing Sahin!

I've been thinking about upgrading, but the new tank would go where the old tank is and the idea of moving the tank without killing everything is pretty scary. I like the idea of running both tanks for awhile together for a smoother transition. Could you explain how you moved the tank?

Thanks,

Howard

Current Tank Info: Innovative Marine SR-80
hbrochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2016, 08:57 PM   #95
Sand Dollar
Registered Member

Awesome Sahin! Love the scape, tidiness, and open look. The branch rock really looks great!

Sand Dollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2016, 10:57 AM   #96
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Thanks for the nice compliments and for looking into the thread everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
Yep, that FTS makes me immediately regret not getting 100% branch for my tank. The more I think about it, the more I see that branch is perfect for SPS tanks.. Especially because they don't block that ever-important flow.

And that sump looks sharp! Seeing that reminds me that unless someone sets up my system for me I'm always going to have wires and tubes looking unkempt lol
I'll be honest I was against the Real Reef Rocks when they were first released. But since these days we dont get quality liverock to the UK anymore and my friends had used Real Reef Rocks without issues I decided to try it and so far I'm extremely happy with the rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
Congratulations on the birth of your baby girl Sahin.

Your tank looks awesome, not to mention your sump. Looking at the space available, do you think I can squeeze a Deltec kalkstirrer in there?

Are you using ATI hybrid or Pacific Sun to illuminate your tank?
Thank you Bulent. I actually changed the sump configuration around. I moved the two of the baffles and removed space from the skimmer compartment to make more space for the siporax/refugium section. I'd advise you take a look at this doc for the default sump compartment size: http://www.evolutionaqua.com/aquariu...ion-manual.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
Congratulations Sahin, pleased to hear both your new babies are doing well mate, obviously you'll give her a from me

Knew you would like the compact Deltec skimmers, i have an older model 1455 which easily handles my 750L system with ruthless efficiency - and most importantly for me is it's very, very quiet. My head is 6ft from the skimmer when i go to bed as the display is beside the bedroom door..........

I really like your new scape and especially the acros down over the sand, nothing looks as cool as a table hovering 1" off a white sand bed

# from Sahin's history with sneaky frag hiding it is possible he has a fifth child hidden somewhere in the house as we speak........
Andrew, that Deltec better make my corals look as good as yours do mate.

And as for a 5th baby...no chance. But I might have hidden acro frags in my tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMclowns View Post
Hi Sahin,

few questions if you don't mind.
How do you like the new Deltec skimmer so far? I have been thinking about upgrading my skimmer from a EuroReef100 to something bigger but don't know which one to buy. My tank is a 120 gallons Display tank with a 40 gallons breeder sump.. So about 120 gallons total water volume.

Also are you using filter sock at all on your new system? Since you are using Siporax, is there any debris getting into those siporax? How often do you take those siporax out and shake them?

Thanks
Hi, the Deltec skimmer is great. For the sake of trouble free operation for years I'd probably go with the AC version. I dont know...I'm still skeptical of DC pumps. Adam @ BattleCorals talks extremely highly of Deltec skimmers and sells them too. He also recommends the AC version of the skimmers. He knows his stuff and is a trustworthy guy. I ordered the Deltec skimmer after reading his posts.

For your size tank, I'd go with the same Deltec model that Biggles has in his tank. He's got the 1455 on a much larger system and probably the most colourful acros out there. I just feel the AC versions have more oomph in the pump.

With regards the Siporax: in the past I just dumped them in the sump. I used to shake them every month or two, but over time they did collect detritus as stuff used to settle over them.

This time round I made a crate to hold the siporax together neatly and spent time playing with Siporax like a kid...I mean stacking them neatly in the crate.

As here:

Water flow over/under/through them etc. Detritus now settles at the bottom. They will stay cleaner for much much longer now:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbrochs View Post
Looks amazing Sahin!

I've been thinking about upgrading, but the new tank would go where the old tank is and the idea of moving the tank without killing everything is pretty scary. I like the idea of running both tanks for awhile together for a smoother transition. Could you explain how you moved the tank?

Thanks,

Howard
Hi there. As you may know I had a tank choke full of SPS corals. And I was in your exact situation.

1. What I did was get loads of empty salt buckets ready (to hold most of tank and sump volume) as well as 15-20% new water change water ready.

2. You also need a couple of friends to assist.

3. Catch any large fish if possible prior to any of the work and place them in one of the buckets with old tank water.

4. Disconnect all electricals etc so as nothing will get in the way of moving tank across the room. This must be done before you start anything else.

5. Drain the sump completely and remove equipment that will reduce weight and is easy to put back eg skimmer/doser/dosing fluids etc.

6. Drain 95% of the water from the display. Allow time for LPS corals to expel water ie if they are on the rocks etc...do this by disturbing them gently before you remove the water at the level they are at. If you can place them on sand bed then do that prior to removing water. SPS will be fine. Clams etc can be disturbed so they shut.

7. Once most of the display and sump water is removed, this should reduce weight of the tank substantially making it easy to slowly slide the tank across the room. Dont push the tank from the top, but rather the force for moving should be applied to the bottom of the stand.

8. Take short breaks etc. Whilst two are taking breaks the third can gently squirt tank water at the acros/corals to keep them from drying up. Anyway, having wooden floors/laminate etc makes it easy to move the whole thing. Trying to slide a tank and stand on deep pile carpets is likely to be difficult and may even damage the integrity of the stand. Therefore please evaluate all variables before attempting anything.

9. Once the tank is across put all the water and any fish back and use the additional water you made up.

10. Hook up everything, hopefully it all goes well like it did for me. I had no issues at all. All my SPS were fine as well as my scoly etc.

Hope that helps.

Unread 11/19/2016, 06:20 AM   #97
Jim Z.
Registered Member

Well done with family additions and new tank. How much space does your 4 l of Siporax take up in the sump? I might be able to add 1 to 2 liters of Siporax to my sump if there's enough room......................Jim

Jim Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2016, 06:27 AM   #98
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Z. View Post
Well done with family additions and new tank. How much space does your 4 l of Siporax take up in the sump? I might be able to add 1 to 2 liters of Siporax to my sump if there's enough room......................Jim
I've got 10litres Siporax and 4 litres Seachem Matrix. That section of the sump is around 18x12x8 and 10 litres takes up half the space.

Unread 11/19/2016, 10:02 AM   #99
martinphillip03
Registered Member

Thanks for the update

Marty

martinphillip03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2016, 11:05 AM   #100
ormet
Just one more frag

Hi Sahin loving the upgrade! Congrats to both new babies!

Can i ask you about your drains, how good are they at surface skimming?

I am debating Ghost overflow, CTC or using the same style as you are using for my new tank.

Best of luck!

Current Tank Info: 225 litres SPS
ormet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ati t5, biopellets, ecotech vectra, evolution aqua, sps