Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/06/2010, 02:29 PM   #1
jereader
Registered Member

Phosban Reactor Mod questions

I just ordered one of these for my 57 gallon with ~20 gallon sump:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Is there a way to use this as a sulfur reactor? If so, what mods, if any, do I need to make to it? If sulfur is not feasible, what other media is effective for strong nitrate reduction?

I have tried to search around for this particular reactor on here, without much luck. If someone knows of a thread that will address this for me, please post a link.

Last edited by jereader; 10/06/2010 at 02:39 PM.
jereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2010, 03:55 PM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

that is one of the better (IMO) reactors on the market. Great price and easy to setup / use.

The best way to lower nitrates is by larger, more frequent water changes.

JM.02

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2010, 04:34 PM   #3
jereader
Registered Member

With work, school, and family, water changes don't happen as often as I'd like them to. If I could just get the dog trained... but I digress. I try to do water changes as regularly as I can, but my schedule is pretty hectic, and before I know it, it's been 2 months since a 10% water change. I'd like something to help me keep nitrates down during those times when the tank gets neglected.

I guess what I am looking for is, what is the best all-around reactor media to help combat nuisance algae?

Unread 10/06/2010, 05:33 PM   #4
billdogg
Registered Member

Could you put a refugium in line someplace? I never thought it would be worth the effort, but they are very easy to set up, and allow you to use Cheato. That would allow you to help control both nitrates and phosphates, with the added bonus of giving you more volume too!

I guess I just prefer to go the more natural route. In the long run, IMO, a much better way to go.

JM.02

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2010, 06:35 PM   #5
jereader
Registered Member

I guess I should have mentioned that in the OP. I also have a refugium with chaeto. The chaeto has grown some since I added it (~6mo) but the GHA seems to be out-competing it. I guess I should also confess, I don't test my water... Is it perhaps not nitrates that are feeding the GHA? Would something like purigen be a better way to go?

Tags
media, nitrates, phosban, reactor, sulfur