Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/08/2012, 07:16 PM   #1
reefwisher
Registered Member

Water Change/Fallow Time?

My 75 gal is sitting fallow for the next 10 weeks. I have a small groups of nassarius snails, red tip hermits crabs and 3 turbo snails. I also have a 20 long set-up as a refugium with a deep sand bed with chaetomorpha and a skimmer also. I am also using GFO and carbon. I have been feeding a few pellets for the invert every few days for them to eat as well as keeping the bacteria going well. Curious as to how much water change do you do during this fallow period as the bio-load is low? I always do 10% weekly but wondering if I need to do this much now and how much or if I should continue doing the 10% weekly?

reefwisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2012, 07:36 PM   #2
BONDQ
Premium Member

I'd continue with the 10% water changes and I'd push your fallow period to 12 weeks.

There's no mention of coral in your post. If you do have coral, then induction of calcium from your water changes would help with growth, assuming that you are not already dosing calcium in some form.

Regardless, the water changes will serve the inverts and establish a cleaner slate for your forthcoming livestock.

BONDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2012, 07:45 PM   #3
reefwisher
Registered Member

Forgot to mention that this is a fowlr tank and so there is no corals. You are right about keeping up on the water changes, I will just keep on doing the water changes to keep it up.

reefwisher is offline   Reply With Quote