Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 07/10/2019, 08:41 AM   #1
Breakthecycle2
Registered Member
 
Breakthecycle2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Hasbrouck Heights, NJ
Posts: 262
Regulator issue

Hey guys. I had to upgrade from my Aquamaxx Co2 regulator to a tunze. Im having issues with leaks now. I'm guessing the washer it came with is not sufficient enough. I have tried numerous amounts of teflon tape as well and it doesn't seem to be doing any good. Does anyone know what size washer would fit inside the connector? The one from my Aquamaxx is slightly too big.


Breakthecycle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2019, 09:49 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor
 
rvitko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Austin Texas USA
Posts: 35,574
The Tunze regulator uses a soft rubber seal ring that is set in a groove on the regulator. You should not use any sort of additional seal such as the typical nylon washer that comes with most bottles and you should not use any Teflon tape. The only seal ring I know of that will work is the factory part 7077.310. In general, I can't think of many ways this would not seal. I have used this regulator myself for nearly a decade and I have changed the seal once, they can be quite marred and have impressions and if tightened sufficiently still seal correctly, the only fatal damage is a severe pinch or tear or being missing. In my case a couple years ago it slipped and got twisted/torn and had to be replaced. You want to tighten it to just snug and then give it about a 1/8- 1/4 turn more, over tightening can deform it or cause it to slip. The newest ones have a hex fitting and can be tightened with a wrench, the older models had a hand tightening gnurled fitting, for that type which is what I have, I tighten to snug and then turn the regulator and fitting together about 1/8 turn more by hand to get it really tight. You can very carefully use pipe pliers but be careful to not mar the fitting.


__________________
Roger Vitko
Tunze USA

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2019, 09:52 AM   #3
Breakthecycle2
Registered Member
 
Breakthecycle2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Hasbrouck Heights, NJ
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvitko View Post
The Tunze regulator uses a soft rubber seal ring that is set in a groove on the regulator. You should not use any sort of additional seal such as the typical nylon washer that comes with most bottles and you should not use any Teflon tape. The only seal ring I know of that will work is the factory part 7077.310. In general, I can't think of many ways this would not seal. I have used this regulator myself for nearly a decade and I have changed the seal once, they can be quite marred and have impressions and if tightened sufficiently still seal correctly, the only fatal damage is a severe pinch or tear or being missing. In my case a couple years ago it slipped and got twisted/torn and had to be replaced. You want to tighten it to just snug and then give it about a 1/8- 1/4 turn more, over tightening can deform it or cause it to slip. The newest ones have a hex fitting and can be tightened with a wrench, the older models had a hand tightening gnurled fitting, for that type which is what I have, I tighten to snug and then turn the regulator and fitting together about 1/8 turn more by hand to get it really tight. You can very carefully use pipe pliers but be careful to not mar the fitting.
The seal does not appear to be damaged. I just picked this up last weekend. No matter what I do, it will not seal properly. It seems the entire connector, front and back has Co2 coming from it. I can see it when I spray soapy water on it.


Breakthecycle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2019, 10:47 AM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor
 
rvitko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Austin Texas USA
Posts: 35,574
Forward me a copy of your receipt or your purchase info (place and date of purchase and your address) and I will send a new seal ring.


__________________
Roger Vitko
Tunze USA

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2019, 11:16 AM   #5
Breakthecycle2
Registered Member
 
Breakthecycle2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Hasbrouck Heights, NJ
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvitko View Post
Forward me a copy of your receipt or your purchase info (place and date of purchase and your address) and I will send a new seal ring.
Im trying to get a copy I through it. Any chance If you give you the store number and name of the owner that would be good enough?


Breakthecycle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2019, 11:23 AM   #6
rvitko
RC Sponsor
 
rvitko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Austin Texas USA
Posts: 35,574
The store name, date of purchase and your address would be enough.


__________________
Roger Vitko
Tunze USA

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2019, 11:27 AM   #7
Breakthecycle2
Registered Member
 
Breakthecycle2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Hasbrouck Heights, NJ
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvitko View Post
The store name, date of purchase and your address would be enough.
He sent me a copy. I am PM'ing you now.


Breakthecycle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:59 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.