Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/08/2017, 09:02 AM   #451
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Mr and Mrs Reef - 290g in wall build

This is what I'm using. When I fold it and put on the clip, I cut slits into it so when they pull on it they're getting a max of 2 inch long "skinny" slit. Haven't had any issues of it breaking apart. I believe it was 100 sheets on Amazon for like $14 or $16.

I can take a pic of the "prepared" nori on the clip with the slits if you'd like.

The only issue I have is occasionally the leopard wrasse pulls off a slit and then just lets it go. But the tangs get it, only have seen 2 so far that made it to the overflow.

I don't know that it's staying together better or if it's because of how I "prepare" it with the slits. Here is the amazon listing:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by MrsReefK; 11/08/2017 at 09:07 AM.
MrsReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2017, 01:19 PM   #452
MrsReefK
Registered Member

My advice was inaccurate. I do NOT suggest the brand mentioned previously. I didn't realize we were still using the older package and hadn't opened the amazon pack yet. I do NOT suggest the brand I listed. I just put it in the tank and wow it breaks apart just in the current. I'll be ditching all 98 of these sheets in the trash and going back to the old. I'll get the other name brand after work. The "other" was great, no issues of it Falling apart at all.

Unread 11/09/2017, 09:09 AM   #453
MrsReefK
Registered Member

The clowns in QT laid eggs in the PVC pipe. I am strongly considering hatching and raising the babies. We have the extra tanks and equipment to raise them. Researching now and maybe will have our first group of babies soon if I decide to pursue. This is the first time our clowns have laid in an accessible, easy to remove place. We have yet to go a week without eggs, but they're usually on the glass.

I don't think I'd do it regularly, but trying one batch sounds fun, and a good challenge.

Unread 11/09/2017, 09:19 AM   #454
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsReefK View Post
My advice was inaccurate. I do NOT suggest the brand mentioned previously. I didn't realize we were still using the older package and hadn't opened the amazon pack yet. I do NOT suggest the brand I listed. I just put it in the tank and wow it breaks apart just in the current. I'll be ditching all 98 of these sheets in the trash and going back to the old. I'll get the other name brand after work. The "other" was great, no issues of it Falling apart at all.

I have also used the fold and strip method which seems ok. The nori doesn't really just break apart but after the fish tear it apart there is plenty of shrapnel that floats around. Just thinking that a thicker/less flexible nori may work better but just a thought. It would also mean it takes the fish longer to eat it which can be good as well. More grazing time. Anyway, no worries!

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2017, 11:26 AM   #455
MrsReefK
Registered Member

I've decided it's time to remove our first full colony. First time I'll be removing or fragging any SPS. Grew all of our corals from just 1" frags and this bad boy is an easy 16-18" across already. I don't like the way it's growing, not tight together like I wanted. I'm ordering a new "next level up" of SPS this week of 15 frags. A few of them will go in this big guys place and should fill in nicely.

Feels surreal pulling out a full SPS colony, seems like just a few months ago it was tiny!

Taking it to LFS for credit this weekend. We'll see what they give. The last load of softies we took there we came out wayyyy further ahead than I expected. We'll see what they do with this guy!

I may have to break the colony into two, I'm not sure it will fit out the top openings of the tank. We will see!

Unread 11/09/2017, 11:31 AM   #456
iced98lx
Registered Member

Quote:

Feels surreal pulling out a full SPS colony, seems like just a few months ago it was tiny!

I may have to break the colony into two, I'm not sure it will fit out the top openings of the tank. We will see!
That's a great feeling!

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2017, 07:24 PM   #457
OurCoralReef
In Memoriam

Quote:
The clowns in QT laid eggs in the PVC pipe. I am strongly considering hatching and raising the babies. We have the extra tanks and equipment to raise them. Researching now and maybe will have our first group of babies soon if I decide to pursue. This is the first time our clowns have laid in an accessible, easy to remove place. We have yet to go a week without eggs, but they're usually on the glass.

I don't think I'd do it regularly, but trying one batch sounds fun, and a good challenge.

Pictures please

OurCoralReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2017, 11:31 PM   #458
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurCoralReef View Post
Pictures please

Definitely! Will take some tomorrow.

Unread 11/10/2017, 07:16 AM   #459
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurCoralReef View Post
Pictures please

Here's the eggs!

Unread 11/11/2017, 06:14 PM   #460
OurCoralReef
In Memoriam

Very nice
Beautiful parents as well
Keep us updated
Would love to see what the babies look like good luck

OurCoralReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2017, 01:09 AM   #461
Jeramirez85
Registered Member

Nice job on the clowns awsome setup by the way

Jeramirez85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 08:28 PM   #462
Mrs. Music
Registered Member

That is a pretty cool shot of the eggs and parents.

Unread 11/15/2017, 07:09 AM   #463
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Thanks!. I didn't make it to LFS for rotifer and everything to raise these babies I'll get the next batch and try to hatch them!!

Unread 11/15/2017, 02:45 PM   #464
Ojos22
Registered Member

Getting the clowns to spawn in the first place is amazing! A tip for those who use Nori and don't like that it breaks so easily and is messy in the tank. Just leave the bag open by the tank. When you seal it, the moisture is kept out. If you leave the bag open after a few days the Nori will not be as brittle. It will definitely help reduce the mess but is not perfect. Keep up the nice work!

Ojos22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 03:10 PM   #465
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojos22 View Post
Getting the clowns to spawn in the first place is amazing! A tip for those who use Nori and don't like that it breaks so easily and is messy in the tank. Just leave the bag open by the tank. When you seal it, the moisture is kept out. If you leave the bag open after a few days the Nori will not be as brittle. It will definitely help reduce the mess but is not perfect. Keep up the nice work!

Thanks! Both of my pairs are currently spawning. Typically have two sets of eggs like clockwork almost every 14 days from both pairs. Only 1 pairs eggs are accessible, which thankfully are my nicer looking clowns. Although my other pair is a typical orange and a black/white (sorry, don't know technical names). Would be neat to see how their babies turned out.

Unread 11/16/2017, 12:01 PM   #466
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Hah! Could they be any cuter? Canvas' of the kiddos came in today.

Unread 11/16/2017, 07:55 PM   #467
saf1
Registered Member

@MrsReefK - must love dogs. That is our motto.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2017, 07:24 AM   #468
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Tank is almost 2 years old! Cycle started around March 15, 2016. Can't believe that time has went by so fast. It's really filling in nicely. The new tang additions are still a bit timid, powder brown still running the mill. It seems to be letting up tho, now just flashing each other, which is nice!

Frag tank and fuge need a solid cleaning. Still need to catch the darn clownfish in the DT so the other pair can go in!

Have a bi color BTA (2 of them) in the frag tank currently. I'm hesitant to put them in DT. Worry of them splitting and taking over, and moving where I don't want them, lol. No risk, no reward though, right? Haha

Unread 12/01/2017, 07:24 AM   #469
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1 View Post
@MrsReefK - must love dogs. That is our motto.

Absolutely! Our dogs are our kids, for sure!

Unread 12/06/2017, 12:15 PM   #470
xabo
Registered Member

Red face

Quote:

Placing a slice of bread in a ziplock bag along with the nori will keep it soft.

xabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2018, 10:12 AM   #471
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Jeremy made an awesome nori feeder yesterday that lifts out of the tank so I don’t have to climb the ladder and reach in every time the nori needs changed. The tangs are consuming around 5-6 sheets a day, I was ready for an easier way to change it!

I’ll grab some pics once the lights come on in a bit, it took the fish about 1/2 day to get comfortable with the new setup, but now they’re going to town on it!

There’s still aggression going on with the new tangs, really it’s down to just the powder brown picking on the Blue hippo. It’s definitely gotten better, but there’s aggression, causing everyone to be on edge/timid a bit.

With the AWC and CaRX running these past few months I cannot believe the colors that are coming out in the SPS. There’s 2 frags I was going to move because they looked so unhappy, browned out and very little growth. In the past month both drags are colored up amazingly (one is a bright purple, I had no idea) and growing rapidly. Amazing the difference of having the right chemistry/equipment running.

Skimmer flooded the fish room two times in the past month. We were trying to dial it in a bit more and apparently overdid it. None of the leak detectors from our Apex went off, thankfully discovered it with only about 2-3 gallons drained onto the floor.

Still have yet to catch the darn clown in the DT so the others can come up to the DT. His partner is waiting patiently with 2 bicolor BTA’s in our frag tank.

Unread 01/02/2018, 12:29 PM   #472
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Here’s pics of the nori clip Jeremy rigged up to eliminate having to climb the ladder and get my arm in the tank! I am in love. Some may not like the look of the pipe hanging down and holding the clip, but it’s functional for me. And to be honest it’s nice to have the clip off of the front pane so I don’t have to clean around it.

He made two of them, you’ll see one on each side of the return lines. You’ll notice the “clip” on the back of the tank that holds each on. It’s held on by sticky back, and made for brooms/mops. It helps keep it held into place. It’s pretty sturdy without the clip, but just extra precaution.

Top view, he put 2 90 degree in top to keep it from rocking back and forth.

Front view. Sorry for all of the Blue, lights just coming on. The pvc hanging down is grey to keep it more blended in versus white.

Unread 01/02/2018, 02:31 PM   #473
winterpeg
Registered Member

Can I get a better look at your light on how you hung them....

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

winterpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2018, 03:15 PM   #474
MrsReefK
Registered Member

In addition to the nori clip update, here’s one years progress. Sorry for the blues, but you get the idea. One years growth! Everything grown from 1-2” frags!

Unread 01/02/2018, 03:18 PM   #475
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterpeg View Post
Can I get a better look at your light on how you hung them....

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Sure thing! Jeremy made the mounts himself from bicycle brake lines. If you want more details, let me know and I’ll have him chime in. We made sure they were hooked up, but removable with the clips should we need to move the lights at all.