Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/14/2008, 12:20 PM   #1
ssavader
Registered Member

UV sterilizer for reef tank

Are people using a uv sterilizer (uvs) on reef systems? If yes, is it "on" all the time or on a timer? Can the uvs kill amphipods and single cell agae that microfauna and corals might otherwise consume? Has anyone seen any improvements in their reef after discontinuing their uvs use?

Unread 10/14/2008, 12:25 PM   #2
Kieth71
Registered Member

I will start this bye saying i have never used one but i have read alot about them and know people that use them.What i can gather is that a uv will kill bad bacteria and good bacteria.It will also help with water clarity.I have heard people say that uv is like snake oil and others that say they would not run a tank without them.I bet if you asked 20 people you would get 10 opinions on if it should be used or not.With such a differing opinions it is tough to get a feel if useing one is good or not or at least good enough to make the power your useing for it worth it.

Kieth71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2008, 12:38 PM   #3
jlaurence32
Registered Member

After all your fish die from Ich a couple times you won't go without one, but it will definately hurt your pod population. Mine broke for a month once and I started seeing alot more pods in my filters when cleaning. But it won't cure Ich, it justs makes an outbreak not as bad and gives the fish more time to fight it off.

Current Tank Info: 125gal AGA reef ready, T5's, custom 46gal sump, Octo Extreme 200, fuge, 18w sterilizer, 44x turnover, mixed reef.
jlaurence32 is offline   Reply With Quote