Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/02/2020, 09:35 AM   #1
lbannie
Registered Member

Temporary lighting question

Hey Guys! My 90 gallon is finally cycled and I have one little talbot damsel in there. I’m trying to figure out how to hang my LEDs in the canopy.
For now I have a “reef” led light on the top.....I don’t know what it’s rated for...it has the tiny little square LEDs across it.
I have a few corals and 1 fish in my temp tank which is a fluval evo 13.5 with stock light
Im wondering if the l could move the corals into the big tank with the current light.
I have a torch, mushrooms, palys, goniopora, toadstool, and Xenia.
attached is a pic of temp light
What do you think??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lbannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2020, 12:32 PM   #2
cvrle1
Registered Member

0.5W LEDs that dont produce enough PAR for most corals. They may be ok for shallow tank and really low light corals, but your tank isnt shallow. Those corals may survive but wont thrive and live.

If these lights are only temporary, I would just figure out how to mount your other LEDs inside the canopy and then transfer corals in there. Keep in mind that you need to properly acclimate corals to new lights, so going from your temp tank to this one with proper LEDs will cut out one extra acclimation period.

What LEDs are you trying to figure out how to mount?

cvrle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2020, 01:17 PM   #3
lbannie
Registered Member

They are aquatic life expert series xs uv LEDs. They came with the tank. I probably should have made my canopy a bit taller. I need to shorten the hanging cables. The ones on it are uneven and too long. I ordered new cables, that aren’t right. Really I just need to cut the cables and put new ends on them(that holds them into the screw things in light) but I’m afraid I won’t do it right and light will fall into tank!

Unread 04/02/2020, 01:50 PM   #4
cvrle1
Registered Member

Cant help you with that, as I never mounted lights using cables before. Good luck either way

cvrle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2020, 02:19 PM   #5
lbannie
Registered Member

Lol!! That’s ok thanks!!