Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/29/2015, 11:26 AM   #1
Bent
I got nothin'

I think I found an aptasia...

I think I see just one on the back of a large piece of rock next to my two btas....

How do I get rid of it?

If you zoom in and look to the right of the BTAs, you can see its evil little tentacles...

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2015, 11:29 AM   #2
Deinonych
Registered Member

Aiptasia-X is your ticket.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007TUZH7U

Hope is not a strategy.
Display Tank: DSA 105 w/36gal sump/fuge · 2x MP40wES PHs · 2x Radion Gen2 · Apex w/PM2 · Fish · Corals · Rock · Sand · Water
Deinonych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2015, 11:32 AM   #3
Bent
I got nothin'

I've heard that if you screw it up you can end up spreading them.

I would really like to get those BTAs off that rock and just pitch the whole rock in the trash can.

The BTAs are anchored really far down in the crevice. When they are fully extended their Columns are like 3" long.

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Unread 08/29/2015, 11:49 AM   #4
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

Um this is the rock from TBS right? It is probably an aiptasia but probably not one you need to worry about spreading if it came in on the rock. Not sure I would toss that rock personally.

My 80g: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2677031
joshky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2015, 11:59 AM   #5
CStrickland
Registered Member

I like smothering them with kalk paste on the rare occasion one pops up on a new frag. There's a million threads on how to get rid of aiptasia. You can either buy something to eat it, give it a chemical / boiling water burn, or shoot it with a laser. None are guaranteed, all can get spendy. If that's not the tbs rock there's probably more you can't see, like they came in on the new rock and got lacerated and spread. I'd be ready for the long haul.

Current Tank Info: 3/2016 upgrade to 120g. Chalk bass, melanurus, firefish, starry blenny, canary blenny, lyretail anthias, engineer gobys, kole tang. Softies / LPS / NPS. <3 noob4life <3
CStrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2015, 12:33 PM   #6
Bent
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshky View Post
Um this is the rock from TBS right? It is probably an aiptasia but probably not one you need to worry about spreading if it came in on the rock. Not sure I would toss that rock personally.
No. The big rock is from the LFS. I wanted a bubble tip but I didn't want to stress it pulling it off the rock, so I just bought the entire rock.

Unread 08/29/2015, 12:34 PM   #7
Bent
I got nothin'

Ok so I want to get the rock out of there. Any way you guys can think of of shattering that rock and getting the BTAs off without killing them?

Unread 08/29/2015, 12:44 PM   #8
KingTriton1
Moved On

If you have liverock then you can pretty much be assured that aiptasia will become present eventually. All my rock from TBS came with it in time. This species of shrimp will remove it and keep it under control.

http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/pro...701&pcatid=701

KingTriton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2015, 12:47 PM   #9
KingTriton1
Moved On

Quote:
Aiptasia from everywhere will spread if not controlled, TBS included. I think majanos arent common on TBS rock tho.

Unread 08/29/2015, 12:54 PM   #10
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

I got a syringe full of vinegar and sprayed the one I found in my tank with it and haven't seen it since. Might give that a try

Unread 08/29/2015, 01:18 PM   #11
whosurcaddie
Registered Member

Don't remove the rock. Watch this.

whosurcaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2015, 01:22 PM   #12
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTriton1 View Post
Aiptasia from everywhere will spread if not controlled, TBS included. I think majanos arent common on TBS rock tho.
Ok well going by what Richard says, the aiptasia that come in on his rock do not spread quickly. My older brother had some http://floridaliverock.com/, very similar to TBS, a few years ago and had a few of these aiptasia and they didn't spread at all, they just got bigger.

Unread 08/29/2015, 01:38 PM   #13
Bent
I got nothin'

Well here's what I did.

I pulled the rock out and took a hammer and chisel to it in an attempt to pull the BTAs off....

I think I killed them. Sigh. The foot on both of them sheared off accidentally. We will see what happens.

But on a positive note, the inside of that rock contained a swarm of aptasia, 3 huge gorilla crabs, some other crab of unknown origin with meat eater claws, some kind of sketchy looking shrimp, and what I think was a fireworm.

So if both the BTAs die, I think it was worth it to get that rock out.

Unread 08/29/2015, 01:42 PM   #14
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

Given proper water parameters and stability I would not be surprised to hear your BTAs heal with no sign of injury.

Unread 08/29/2015, 02:01 PM   #15
Bent
I got nothin'

Quote:
Given proper water parameters and stability I would not be surprised to hear your BTAs heal with no sign of injury.
That's exciting news. I thought once the foot was damaged they were boned.

Unread 08/29/2015, 02:04 PM   #16
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent View Post
That's exciting news. I thought once the foot was damaged they were boned.
BTAs are very resilient, time will tell.

Unread 08/29/2015, 05:29 PM   #17
KingTriton1
Moved On

Quote:
Ok well going by what Richard says, the aiptasia that come in on his rock do not spread quickly. My older brother had some http://floridaliverock.com/, very similar to TBS, a few years ago and had a few of these aiptasia and they didn't spread at all, they just got bigger.
The TBs rock I got started with 1 aiptasia then turned into about 10. Only TBS rock was in the tank no others. I guess I'm just one of the unlucky ones

Unread 08/29/2015, 05:55 PM   #18
Bent
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTriton1 View Post
The TBs rock I got started with 1 aiptasia then turned into about 10. Only TBS rock was in the tank no others. I guess I'm just one of the unlucky ones
That sucks. This bunch was not on TBS rock.

Thank god I got that out of there.

One of the BTAs has reinflated...the other one looks rough.

Even two BTAs is not worth an aptasia outbreak. So im happy I got rid of it.

Unread 08/29/2015, 06:28 PM   #19
Bent
I got nothin'

Aptasia

Almost as bad as glancing down in the shower and seeing something that resembles a wart.

Unread 08/29/2015, 11:01 PM   #20
gblaszczuk
Registered Member

I would keep a watch for any new ones showing up. Good luck!

gblaszczuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2015, 11:29 PM   #21
Bent
I got nothin'

Will do.

Btw the btas both seem to be doing well. They are both inflated and currently ambling around for some new real estate. I'm tempted to turn the power heads off tonight while they are moving.

Bad idea?

Unread 08/29/2015, 11:31 PM   #22
CStrickland
Registered Member

Maybe just put some pantyhose over them so you don't mess up your gas exchange?

Current Tank Info: 3/2016 upgrade to 120g. Chalk bass, melanurus, firefish, starry blenny, canary blenny, lyretail anthias, engineer gobys, kole tang. Softies / LPS / NPS. <3 noob4life <3
CStrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2015, 01:58 PM   #23
just_tim79
Registered Member

I know I'm late here but when I find a stray aptasia on a frag or some other new addition I hit it with superglue gel. Seems to work and I haven't had to repetedly treat the same area....yet.

just_tim79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2015, 08:16 PM   #24
Bent
I got nothin'

That's probably a good idea, rather than my hammer smashing, anemone prying, chisel pounding freak out.

I had a bad outbreak years ago that made me rip a whole system down. Those things are devils spawn.

Unread 08/31/2015, 08:48 PM   #25
BrettDS
Registered Member

I think I found an aptasia...

It's a bit late now, but I recently added a red BTA and put him and his rock in a great spot in the front of the tank. He seemed quite happy there for about two weeks, but then one of my gorgonians started to brush against the anemone. I suspect it was happening for a day or two before I noticed. When I did I simply fragged that branch of the gorgonian, but it was too late and the anemone had had enough. He packed up and moved to the back of the tank overnight.

He was there for about a week and as I was trying to figure out how to encourage him to move back to the front of the tank I decided to do a three day blackout to help combat a cyano breakout that was beginning. Apparently the BTA didn't like the blackout because during that time he moved almost completely across the tank and down from the top to the bottom. He definitely didn't pick the spot I would prefer him to be in, but at least he's visible now, so I think I'll leave him. He's been there for close to two weeks now.

The moral of this story, for anyone who comes along after us, is that my BTA moved on its own when it was being bothered by another coral and also when the lights were off, so those might he options to try to encourage an anemone to move.

BrettDS is offline   Reply With Quote