Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/01/2016, 09:50 PM   #26
DamonG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Member No. 1 View Post
Pretty simple. Effluent goes in the bottom, out the top.

Interesting idea and device.. I have the extra reactor, the only thing with my geo is that it runs soft line, so I am wondering if I should just insert some 1/4 pex(ro line) into that fitting(like your secondary chamber, or, I should try to find some barbs and only run the soft line. I'm not that familiar with the line that is required.

I know with my kalk reactor, it was fine running the "pex to soft" little adapter.. What do you guys think? That would save me some change and running around, as I have those connections on hand right now..

Also, if I do use the AVAST mr5, do I need to fill it completely? It's 4" in diameter and about 18" tall...

Last edited by DamonG; 02/01/2016 at 09:59 PM.
DamonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2016, 09:51 PM   #27
DamonG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
That is pretty much correct. You are really only setting an off point for the controller meaning you set the minimum pH level which we will say is 6.6. The controller will keep the solenoid powered on for anything above 6.6 and when it hits 6.59, it will shut the solenoid off. In my case, I have mine set to 6.6 but that's as a fail safe. My target is 6.65 and it never really drops below that and it doesn't drift higher than than 6.75.

I judge my reactors effectiveness based on the parameters in my tank. If my Ca or Alk were low, I would simply increase the effluent rate/flow through the reactor and adjust my Co2 rate to maintain the same pH. If it were high, I would slow the effluent rate down and slow my Co2 rate to maintain the same pH. That's the beauty of the masterflex. Push a button and increase the flow in very very small increments which give you incredible control over your Ca and Alk. It also bodes well for the Co2 tank because the consistency in flow coupled with the Co2 consistency means you aren't even wasting Co2 and the tanks last a long long time. I've coming on on 12 months since I filled my 20 pound Co2 tank and it's still reading about half full.
Oh, and I forgot to mention, your setup looks awesomely technical!

Unread 02/01/2016, 10:50 PM   #28
DamonG
Registered Member

This is what I came up with from the AVAST reactor I have. Will this work?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1454388562998.jpg (39.8 KB, 65 views)
Unread 02/01/2016, 11:20 PM   #29
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonG View Post
This is what I came up with from the AVAST reactor I have. Will this work?
I would have the calcium reactor feed the secondary reactor through the bottom so the effluent exits out the top of the 2nd reactor before heading to the tank. Like you, my calcium reactor uses the 1/4" tubing/ I added the John Guest fittings to the 2nd reactor so all the lines were the same. In fact, I even converted my calcium reactor over to the 1/4" RODI type tuning when I set it up by switching the original fittings to John Guest style fittings. One bit of advice.. Use Teflon paste and not Teflon tape on all the threaded fitting on both reactors so you don't have to chase down any leaks or sources for air being drawn into the reactors which is a common problem.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2016, 11:27 PM   #30
DamonG
Registered Member

Quote:
I would have the calcium reactor feed the secondary reactor through the bottom so the effluent exits out the top of the 2nd reactor before heading to the tank.
Yep, the shorter of the two on the top is the inlet, and a tube goes to the bottom(it's an upflow design). And then, the vertical outlet ( like the calcium reactor) is short and the opening is at the top.

But everything else look good?

And ahhh.. Teflon paste.. I will have to pick up some in the morning before I put the second chamber into action.. Thanks for that tip!

Last edited by DamonG; 02/01/2016 at 11:39 PM.
Unread 02/02/2016, 12:00 AM   #31
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonG View Post
Yep, the shorter of the two on the top is the inlet, and a tube goes to the bottom(it's an upflow design). And then, the vertical outlet ( like the calcium reactor) is short and the opening is at the top.

But everything else look good?

And ahhh.. Teflon paste.. I will have to pick up some in the morning before I put the second chamber into action.. Thanks for that tip!
I'm not sure I would have it enter the top even if that line goes to the bottom via the pipe. The excess Co2 will get trapped in the high part of that PVC input. I would use the fitting on the bottom of that reactor if at all possible so the water enters through the bottom of the reactor like in this image below.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2016, 02:59 AM   #32
DamonG
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm not sure I would have it enter the top even if that line goes to the bottom via the pipe. The excess Co2 will get trapped in the high part of that PVC input. I would use the fitting on the bottom of that reactor if at all possible so the water enters through the bottom of the reactor like in this image below.

Hmmnnn.. Ok.. It seems straight forward enough to plumb something in place. And then, just close the fitting off that is on the top. I will look into a uniseal to make sure it's nice and snug..

Unread 02/07/2016, 03:18 PM   #33
DamonG
Registered Member

Everything is going good after all of the advice.. I actually haven't touched the settings in the apex, and have just let it run it's own course. I think what I am going to do, is set the values from my apex fusion, as the low and high range +- 0.01? The calcium reactor system is maintaining itself at those ranges, so I see no need to interfere much in that process.. I need to take some test readings today, but have not done so as of yet. I had an issue with an annoying hermit crab in my skimmer..

But here is my fusion graph for basically what the bubble count and trickle rate has been doing on it's own.. I also was able to add the secondary chamber full of reborn, and it seems to be doing it's job with no problems(so far and knock on wood)..

Thanks for all the advice and help slief and others, as this has done a ton of knowledge good for me..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1454879900555.jpg (30.2 KB, 37 views)
Unread 02/11/2016, 08:26 PM   #34
aquavista99
Registered Member

Reborn from two little fishes for me too. Great stuff. I purchase it in thev5 Gallon buckets

aquavista99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2016, 08:27 PM   #35
aquavista99
Registered Member

Reborn from two little fishes for me too. Great stuff. I purchase it in the 5 Gallon buckets

aquavista99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2016, 08:39 PM   #36
DamonG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquavista99 View Post
Reborn from two little fishes for me too. Great stuff. I purchase it in the 5 Gallon buckets
I probably will begin doing the same when I have to top off.. Which, I think was somewhere in this thread, but how often do you guys top off?

And slief, or anyone else, I have a 10lb Co2 tank.. How often and how do you guys tell when you need to change out your tanks? I just want to be proactive..

Lastly, just curious, I see now, that the reactor is easier once stabilized, but did you see increased growth or any other changes to your sticks(SPS), after going to Carx?

Just getting mire and as much input as possible..

And oh.. I have the reef fanatic regulator. I looked a while ago at the green leaf aquarium regulators.. Any input on those? I will try and find the "build your own regulator" thread, but just curious..

Thanks again all, and awesome input!

Unread 02/20/2016, 05:51 PM   #37
Chicago
Registered Member

Looks like a get holds a lot of media ...nice

Current Tank Info: 500 gal starphire, reef sps dominated, 40 plus fish, 300 gallon sump in basement below, reeftek calcium reactor, reeftek kalkwasser reactor, lifeguard fluidized filter for rowaphose, 4 400MH 10k xm, 2 160 vho super attinic, DYI 50 gallon denitrator
Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2016, 04:56 AM   #38
DamonG
Registered Member

I decreased my Co2 a small amount, and am hoping to get my alk down to about 7.5 or so(at least close). I have been hovering around 8.0 steady, but just have been reading a lot of the totm sps pages.. So I will try this and see..

Unread 12/12/2017, 04:11 PM   #39
codydemmel4
Registered Member

this thread has a lot of good information for me to read as I just bought a CaRx. I know it is old but still helpful. I also am looking at adding a second chamber and hopefully cost effective too.

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote