Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/17/2014, 09:39 AM   #1
Torx
Registered Member

Lightbulb Torx's DIY $10 Apex Break Out Box

I know that it is the cheapest addition to the Apex modules, but when opened up, it is understandably cheaper and still well over priced IMHO considering they would get bulk pricing on stock. But I digress.

$39.99USD + taxes + S/H etc etc

<$10CAD completed. This is all that the "Break Out Box" is if "Break It Open". I will probably put it into a project box down the road and make up my own label. Personally I have no idea why Apex uses a grey cable and blue label :S (although there are some out there with the orange/white label) when everything else is black and orange/white ... I was adamant about finding a black cable lol.

1 - Black MD8 Mini Din 8 Minidin (ebay)
1 - terminal block (thesource)
1 - multimeter to test which line is which as most Minidin cables have different colors/pin (have several sitting around)
5 - minutes work (while waiting for my next pot of coffee to brew)

DIY BoB cable pin outs. 8 is the ground, 7 is not used and 1-6 are respectable switches to their numbers

[img]http://i57.*******.com/1zf55vn.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i62.*******.com/20lff5.jpg[/img]

Torx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2014, 12:44 PM   #2
blackthunda77
Registered Member

Nice, i might actually try this. Your right, seeing it in the open like that it does look alot simpler. Just a cable split onto individual blocks. Hows it working for you? Im interested in doing this for a flood alarm and a couple other things.

How do you use the multimeter to test the cables? I know its probably easy but im a noob with that stuff.

*blackthunda stands for a black Mistubishi 3000GT with black rims I used to own. Don't get any funny ideas!

Current Tank Info: 200 Gal custom tank with dual corner overflows, 80 gal custom sump/refugium, Neptune Apex controller, Dual Lumenmax Elite reflectors with 250 Radiums, SWC 160 Cone Skimmer, 2x Jebao WP-25....and some other stuff.
blackthunda77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2014, 12:51 PM   #3
Torx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthunda77 View Post
Nice, i might actually try this. Your right, seeing it in the open like that it does look alot simpler. Just a cable split onto individual blocks. Hows it working for you? Im interested in doing this for a flood alarm and a couple other things.

How do you use the multimeter to test the cables? I know its probably easy but im a noob with that stuff.

Everything is working great. I have a switch on a skimmer overflow cup that shuts down my skimmer if it goes "crazy", but that is it so far. I also have magnetic blocks that I will hook up to the cabinet doors and hood that will turn on lights when doors are open. Also going to play with a few alarms with my floats for low and high water levels etc.

As for testing the wires, use the continuity option and touch a pin on the connector and then touch the stripped wires until you hear the beep, then you know that that pin goes to that wire.

Normally looks like this. Some make a tone, some just have numbers that change on the display, I prefer the multimeters that tone.

Unread 03/16/2014, 05:59 PM   #4
AcMonster
Registered Member

Thanks for the great write up. Just built 2 boxes in small project boxes. Total cost was $28 for both. Looks great!

AcMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2014, 04:20 AM   #5
paulywog0667
Registered Member

What is the purpose? Is it just extra digital outputs and inputs? Do not blame you for just popping them on a terminal. Maybe dab something on the terminals, so the salt does not corrode the block? If that is what it is, I might get one of those cables and a connector. So I have plug in for extra outputs/inputs. For the controller I am making.

paulywog0667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2014, 07:13 AM   #6
Torx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulywog0667 View Post
What is the purpose? Is it just extra digital outputs and inputs? Do not blame you for just popping them on a terminal. Maybe dab something on the terminals, so the salt does not corrode the block? If that is what it is, I might get one of those cables and a connector. So I have plug in for extra outputs/inputs. For the controller I am making.
Easily add float switches, door/window switches etc to the Apex. Mostly for float switches. I do have door switches that I will be adding when I get another EB8 so when I open a door in my cabinet or hood, a separate light comes on. I have some electrical grease, but the terminals are no where near when I would need to worry about corrosion. There are several DIY's out there like this, some use 1/4 audio jack inputs, I personally would like to come across some old speakers or stereo head unit and steal off the speaker outputs (red and black things that pinch the speaker wires) but I was going as simple as possible here to show that it really isn't anything fancy.

Unread 03/17/2014, 09:43 AM   #7
paulywog0667
Registered Member

Nice, I have an extra terminal block. I will have to make sure to remember and run some extra i/o pins to it. Thanks for the tip. I think Home Depot sells plates with the speaker terminals you mentioned. They might be for junction boxes though.

paulywog0667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2014, 05:13 PM   #8
byee
Registered Member

THANK YOU for help me save $45 to buy something else.

I'm hoping someone will post a DIY for the LSM (lunar simulation module).

byee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2014, 06:24 PM   #9
flyhigh123
funky member

how did u test the switch to see which color is what?

like how do you know switch #1 is what color? Do I test it through the apex?

flyhigh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2014, 06:46 PM   #10
Torx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyhigh123 View Post
how did u test the switch to see which color is what?

like how do you know switch #1 is what color? Do I test it through the apex?
I just wrote down a list of 1-8. Then used a multimeter and tested which pin on the cable connecter went to which color wire and wrote it down according to the img above as I checked each pin.

Tags
apex, bob, break out box, diy, torx