Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/10/2007, 01:35 PM   #251
Fliger
Registered Member

You guys are right, this place is awesome. I've played golf every day, and its kind of embarrassing on a "reef" website - but I haven't even dove. It was too much of a pain and I know I'll be back soon. Just a lot of golf and a lot of partying.

Plantation was tough! Played Ka'anapali Kai (just ok) and Royal (pretty nice). Today is my last day and we're trying to figure out where to play as I type.

On a reef related note - I don't know if I mentioned here but I was having problems with my Vortechs. The motor kept stalling. My wife has been checking and said there hasn't been a stall since I left. I can't wait to get back to finish this thing up!

Mahalo!

When life hands you lemons, add vodka!

Current Tank Info: Current: 210G Elos System, 2x400W + 6x54W Photon w/Aquaconnects, H&S skimmer, Deltec FR509/ROWAphos+Elos Carbon, 6101's and 6201's, Ocean GEOtronic 900 Chiller/Heater, Biotopus II Controller w/SMS. Elos System 70.
Fliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2007, 03:00 PM   #252
bogg
Registered Member

Dave you got to take some reef pics!!.

Current Tank Info: Elos 120xl, 2 planet 2's, KZs, wavy sea/Tunze
bogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2007, 02:40 PM   #253
Fliger
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bogg
Dave you got to take some reef pics!!.
All that time there and only a little snorkeling. Just a lot of golf, and a lot of fun!

Over the next month or so, I have the following coming in ....

- New chiller (Ocean Geotronic 900)
- New skimmer (H&S A200 2x1260)
- New sump (Elos newer size for larger tank)
- New light (I have to pull an Invincible on this. Its a very cool surprise )
- New controller stand and add-ons (Just ordered the B2 stand and the "Aqua Rescue" for the B2 which hooks up to a boat battery for backup. Has some other cool features that I don't quite understand yet)
- New controllers for my vortechs (three total, held up by FCC due to the wireless frequency)

Due to my OCD nature, I have way too many colors of way too many varieties of corals. So I have to choose. I really like Naka's mix - and I'll do something similar. Narrow down to 6 or so Acans, a few micros, 6-10 zoo/palys, a few larger LPS - and SPS. Others of course - I like the blue xenia, a few clams, etc - I want a CLEAN, nice selection of corals that are well balanced.

I really hope to have all the stuff within a month, several (all?) are coming from overseas so timing is a challenge and a real PITA. I'll post pix as they come in and I get them.

Current Tank Info: Current: 210G Elos System, 2x400W + 6x54W Photon w/Aquaconnects, H&S skimmer, Deltec FR509/ROWAphos+Elos Carbon, 6101's and 6201's, Ocean GEOtronic 900 Chiller/Heater, Biotopus II Controller w/SMS. Elos System 70.
Unread 09/14/2007, 02:49 PM   #254
20 20
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fliger
(I have to pull an Invincible on this. Its a very cool surprise
Spotlights!

20 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2007, 02:50 PM   #255
loweryster
Registered Member

Spectra with dimmable ballast??

Current Tank Info: Marineland 93G Cube, 2 x Vortech MP40W, Bubble King Double Cone 180 / Mini RD3 DC Speedy Pump, Red Dragon 3 Mini Speedy 50w DC Return Pump, ATI 24 x 8 PM Hybrid , Apex, GHL 3 head doser, Zeovit system, Arctica 1/10 HP
loweryster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2007, 02:56 PM   #256
Fliger
Registered Member

No and no. And just an update on the Sfiligoi - since I got the dual fuse ballasts, I haven't had a single fuse blow. I think I still have six of the ten fuses Alessandro sent me from Italy. Its been a nice fixture with a VERY wide spread. After all that, I really have no idea why I'm replacing it. Its that OCD thing. One thing I found out, with these magnetic ballasts - you can actually switch down to 250W by moving a couple wires. You bypass the step up ballast and viola ... 250W fixture. Kind of a cool option.

Oh and even if someone guesses correctly - I'll probably still say no. I can't jinx myself until its in da howse! But it will have dimmable T5's ....

Unread 09/14/2007, 02:59 PM   #257
loweryster
Registered Member

Cool, keep us up to date

Current Tank Info: Marineland 93G Cube, 2 x Vortech MP40W, Bubble King Double Cone 180 / Mini RD3 DC Speedy Pump, Red Dragon 3 Mini Speedy 50w DC Return Pump, ATI 24 x 8 PM Hybrid , Apex, GHL 3 head doser, Zeovit system, Arctica 1/10 HP
loweryster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2007, 03:01 PM   #258
geno658
Registered Member

Wow

Amazing tank, love the thermoelectic chiller! Def. some cool toys to drool over! Keep up the great work

geno658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2007, 03:37 PM   #259
Fliger
Registered Member

LOL. I just remembered that late last night (working after midnight) - I posted in the Zeo thread, and you all go there so ......

I got the Grotech Photon, its a 2x400W + 6x54W pendant. The MH ballasts are IC400's - and I'll be running Aquaconnect bulbs. I have a TON of extra T5 bulbs so I'm not sure what combo I'll run. I'm not sure how the T5 ballasts work that come stock - if its a 4x54W + 2x54W, I'll probably dim 4x54W and have two come on later. The pendant is coming with KZ Fiji, KZ Coral Light and Aquascience 22K. I have some ATI Blue+ bulbs and a few Aquablue Specials. I've read in Europe, running a single red spectrum T5 tube is popular - so I'm looking forward to doing that, and still having five more bulbs to play with.

The AC bulb with the IC ballast puts out CRAZY par according to Sanjay's test. I only plan on running the MH for 4-5 hours/day.

I really, really want to try the Elos light - as it works well with the B2. However - I'm really diggin the spread of mogul sockets - and I'm liking 400W bulbs for the 64" length and 32" width - I can keep the pendant 10" above the tank, get great spread and still have good PAR, without putting all that heat directly in there. The six T5's will be great, as I want some lower light areas.

Gotta go make some money now.

Unread 09/14/2007, 03:39 PM   #260
Nuuze
Registered Member

Pics?!

Nuuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2007, 05:01 PM   #261
Zoom
Premium Member

Cut all that bragging David you make me sick
Here is a good deal for you, you can save some $$.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...eadid=1199215:

Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2007, 05:24 PM   #262
Fliger
Registered Member

Haha Steve. I can only afford one skimmer at a time, not like you with both your fancy Deltecs. Hope you're doing well - I remember reading you were having some issues - me too. Finally I think my tank is stable and most corals have their color back. But I lost a lot of nice SPS.

Pix, I promise. Next week though, I just got an emergency call and I have to head up to Prescott for the a few days. Arggh.

Unread 09/14/2007, 10:17 PM   #263
Zoom
Premium Member

Quote:
Haha Steve. I can only afford one skimmer at a time, not like you with both your fancy Deltecs. Hope you're doing well - I remember reading you were having some issues - me too. Finally I think my tank is stable and most corals have their color back. But I lost a lot of nice SPS.

Pix, I promise. Next week though, I just got an emergency call and I have to head up to Prescott for the a few days. Arggh.
Not my Reef tank i still have some problems .
I take my FOWLR tank down.
To much for me .... i don't have the time any more, I have to take care my folks they getting old and need to much of my time .
The large reef tank is full of dinos it is 14 years old now with the same fish and LR so i think almost fad it .
I got all the high tech gadgets of my reef tank i'm going back to just basics so i don't rely on any thing. I only have two SPS coral left but about 30 heads of deferent LPS.
My next move is unpredictable so you never know i may just throw in the towel some day.

Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2007, 03:46 AM   #264
invincible569
Registered Member

David, you always make me laugh with your posts. Im happy to see you getting all of that great stuff in! What color fixture did you order? Red? I cant wait to see all your new goodies! We need to have a nation wide tank tour! Who's in??

invincible569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2007, 07:59 AM   #265
Lunchbucket
Premium Member

Nationwide tank tour would ROCK!! You'd see some sweet tanks in a hurry

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-

Current Tank Info: 58gal Oceanic RR, 2x400w MH (20k XM and 10k XM), Deltec PF601 Ca Rx, Deltec AP701 skimmer, mag950 return, iwaki 55rlt w/ an Oceansmotions 4-way unit, Tunze 7300 and 6000 each w/ controller, fluidized po4 rx
Lunchbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2007, 08:35 AM   #266
Ginzo
Registered Member

Quote:

Gotta go make some money now.
Hehe..too much money to blow !

Btw, the chiller has been performing great Except it does makes more noise then I would have wished..the fans are a little loud

Ginzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2007, 11:22 AM   #267
boozeman
Registered Member

oooohhhh photon...nice

Unread 09/17/2007, 02:05 PM   #268
Fliger
Registered Member

I picked up a new Limited Edition frag up in Northern Arizona this weekend. I always love those LE names so I decided on Kai In The Sky. Or just Kai Fliger for short. Hopefully he won't be fragged for another 25 years or so. The transportation back went smoothly and he has acclimated very well and even made it home to catch the USC game. He's a little Hapa, just like Papa.

Grandma's proud

Aaaawwww

Unread 09/17/2007, 03:11 PM   #269
boozeman
Registered Member

those limited edition frags are very expensive to maintain
Congratulations bro !

boozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2007, 03:29 PM   #270
i2ik
Registered Member

Congrats on the new frag...growth will be quite fast on this one!

Current Tank Info: 600G system in the remaking, back to square one, learning in process!
i2ik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2007, 03:50 PM   #271
Dudester
Registered Member

If the larger colony beside it in photos 4 and 5 are any indication, I'd say this one should get better every year. But despite your written intentions, I wouldn't recommend fragging it. Congratulations!!

Current Tank Info: building a new home tank l 450g office tank with Deltec everything
Dudester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2007, 04:20 PM   #272
hawaiianwargod
Registered Member

Congrats David! She looks so adorable! Great looking family as well!
The name kai means "wave" or "sea" in Hawaiian...pretty cool name....

[E] levated
[L] evel
[O] f
[S] weetness

Current Tank Info: 210+ - "G" Elos 160XL [~]
hawaiianwargod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2007, 04:48 PM   #273
erics3000
Registered Member

Congrats!!!!I am expecting my first. She is sooo cute.....

(Red House for my 300 display 600 system)

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon system with 300 display
erics3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2007, 05:02 PM   #274
Dudester
Registered Member

Uh, guys, I'm pretty sure it's a "he." The baseball socks are a dead giveaway.

Current Tank Info: building a new home tank l 450g office tank with Deltec everything
Dudester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2007, 05:09 PM   #275
crab0000
Registered Member

Maybe everything in blue should be a clue too. Congratulations! I know your family is very happy.

crab0000 is offline   Reply With Quote