Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/22/2007, 05:00 PM   #26
Fliger
Registered Member

OK, well setting up Elos number two was even easier than number one. However, TAKING DOWN a tank is a #%$! no matter what. Here are some pix of progress.

Last pic of the 120XL

Tank Down

Stand gone

New stand in

When life hands you lemons, add vodka!

Current Tank Info: Current: 210G Elos System, 2x400W + 6x54W Photon w/Aquaconnects, H&S skimmer, Deltec FR509/ROWAphos+Elos Carbon, 6101's and 6201's, Ocean GEOtronic 900 Chiller/Heater, Biotopus II Controller w/SMS. Elos System 70.
Fliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2007, 05:05 PM   #27
Fliger
Registered Member

What a mess. You never realize how many corals you have until you have to remove every single one and put them into 12 different Rubbermaid bins

If you've ever seen A Christmas Story, when the father gets the "leg lamp" the crate says "Fragile" and he says "Fraj-eeelee, it must be made in Italy. I guess in this case he would have been right.

This is how my wife helps me when I tell her I'm going to be working on the tank this weekend

Here is picture of all the plumbing. Thats gotta be the least amount of plumbing for a 210G tank. Its sitting on top of the overflow

Current Tank Info: Current: 210G Elos System, 2x400W + 6x54W Photon w/Aquaconnects, H&S skimmer, Deltec FR509/ROWAphos+Elos Carbon, 6101's and 6201's, Ocean GEOtronic 900 Chiller/Heater, Biotopus II Controller w/SMS. Elos System 70.
Unread 04/22/2007, 05:13 PM   #28
invincible569
Registered Member

NICE PICS!!! Keep them coming!

Too bad Im not in Arizona.. I would come ... and party with your wifes friends! jk

invincible569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2007, 09:06 PM   #29
steve the plumb
Moved On

yes well tell a woman that there is work to be done on the fish tank and thats what you get.You should have told here you were having a candle party or that you were going shopping for shoes, you just needed a little help first.Its not a lie its just a fib

steve the plumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2007, 09:15 PM   #30
CalvinC4S
Registered Member

I know how you feel man. Not even a two hour shower can fix that funk. Tank looks awesome!

CalvinC4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2007, 08:53 AM   #31
bolis03
Registered Member

These are by far extremely well design tank systems I was very fortunate to see one up close and personal in Houston last year. I do have a question regarding the design and build of the stand. The 3 vertical panels are these made of 1” mdf or of a similar material? Also is the stand complete, I mean no horizontal top panel?

bolis03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2007, 09:51 PM   #32
Jar*Head
Premium Member

Congrats on your new tank David. No wonder you never have time to answer the phone . Good luck with the set up..... Looking great.

Current Tank Info: 480g peninsula
Jar*Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2007, 01:15 PM   #33
erics3000
Registered Member

I cant wait to see this up and going. I am just getting ready to order an in wall tank and now i want o get a littler version of one of these for my living room. Naka and Invicible tanks look great. I can wait to see yours. Keep the PICS coming..

(Red House for my 300 display 600 system)

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon system with 300 display
erics3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2007, 02:25 PM   #34
gsumner2
Registered Member

Who distributes the Elos tanks in the US? Any close to Chicago or Louisville,KY?
Beautiful Tanks!

Current Tank Info: 180g w/100g sump 20g refugium
gsumner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2007, 08:39 PM   #35
loweryster
Registered Member

I hate you Fliger

Current Tank Info: Marineland 93G Cube, 2 x Vortech MP40W, Bubble King Double Cone 180 / Mini RD3 DC Speedy Pump, Red Dragon 3 Mini Speedy 50w DC Return Pump, ATI 24 x 8 PM Hybrid , Apex, GHL 3 head doser, Zeovit system, Arctica 1/10 HP
loweryster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2007, 10:41 AM   #36
Fliger
Registered Member

Sorry all, I am totally jammed for time. The tank is up & running and doing great. I lost a couple frags but nothing that can't be replaced. Some stress signs but whatcha gonna do? I didn't get any shots after I got the sump going but have these progression shots. I'll try to get more later.

Here is my chiller/heater from the last tank. Its an Ocean Geotronic Peltier. Very small, extremely silent, low power. Super cool. Its very undersized for this tank, but I'm going to see if the chiller along with a fan will be OK for now. I'm going with a couple Prolifux fans from Aquarium Specialty

Here is a picture of the sump. They didn't have my sump ready so sent this as a temp. Hope to have the new one here soon though, my reefer buddy CalvinC4S informed me last night this sump will not catch the overflow from a power outtage. I'm out of town the next couple weeks, praying for no power outtages! The sump is really cool, it has a 9G water TO rez built in, and three fluidized chambers.

The underground

Last edited by Fliger; 04/26/2007 at 10:50 AM.
Unread 04/26/2007, 10:43 AM   #37
loweryster
Registered Member

lookin good
lighting???

Current Tank Info: Marineland 93G Cube, 2 x Vortech MP40W, Bubble King Double Cone 180 / Mini RD3 DC Speedy Pump, Red Dragon 3 Mini Speedy 50w DC Return Pump, ATI 24 x 8 PM Hybrid , Apex, GHL 3 head doser, Zeovit system, Arctica 1/10 HP
Unread 04/26/2007, 10:46 AM   #38
Fliger
Registered Member

Here is the overflow plumbing.

The overflow with the drain bulkhead put on

And with the return. The return can be moved side to side and up and down - virtually any direction. There is a small siphon break you can probably see.

And here is a very bad shot of the tank half full. I didn't fill in for a day or two after this was taken. Since I'm leaving in 48 hours, I am going to aquascape in a way to just keep things safe. Hope to finish aquascaping as soon as I return! (barring any disasters)

Unread 04/26/2007, 10:54 AM   #39
Fliger
Registered Member

Thanks Lowery! Lighting is still TBD. For now I'll get away with my curent fixture, slightly underpowered. Come to think of it I probably can't final aquascape until I get some 250W up. I love your Giesemann and what you did with it - its on my list. I like having all US components on a sleeker Euro design so we'll see.

Unread 04/26/2007, 10:59 AM   #40
loweryster
Registered Member

too bad Gman doesn't make a 5' Spectra, maybe there 4'???, that be my first choice, unless Jesse's got something up his sleeve.

Unread 04/26/2007, 12:38 PM   #41
hawaiianwargod
Registered Member

Fliger,

That is superliscious setup!!! Whats the deal on your 120XL? It was nice already. Was the size of 120XL made you decide to go on different route? Elos products are awesome, I have seen one at Jesse's warehouse and the tank (120XL) looks amazing!
What color did you get btw (cabinet doors)? looks like the darker one, if I'm not mistaken.
Again, very impressive and I apologize for creating a new word
"superliscious " because it is..lol!

[E] levated
[L] evel
[O] f
[S] weetness

Current Tank Info: 210+ - "G" Elos 160XL [~]
hawaiianwargod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2007, 02:24 PM   #42
invincible569
Registered Member

Great last picture. Reminds me of a japanese tank.

Love that sump too. I like how he used black silicone for the seams. It makes the design of the sump stand out.

invincible569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2007, 07:41 PM   #43
cali_reef
Registered Member

Nice tank David!!

cali_reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2007, 09:49 AM   #44
ReefingBuddha
Registered Member

great tank setup. I'm eagerly waiting for some more pictures. What is the name of that square bulkhead you have on your overflow?

Current Tank Info: Starting a new 300g In-wall, 600g system
ReefingBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2007, 10:21 AM   #45
Fliger
Registered Member

Thanks guys, I'm lovin' the new tank. Just frustrating that with my trip I can't spend more time finishing it off.

Lowery - the more I think about it the more my head hurts (lighting). Giesemann has a 5' Infinity would would be nice. I'm waiting to see what Elos is coming out with. All the other options are 4' - or I could get two 24" fixtures.

Hawaiian - the 120XL went to a very good reefer. I can't wait to see what he does with it. I did go with the "wenge" as a lot of things in my house are that color. The doors were hard to get on this time, but I got it finally. Just need to adjust. LOL "superliscous" sounds like an Ali (Project Reef) term. Or Fergie.

Thanks Invince & Cali ... fellow equipment junkies!

thirschmann, I'll try to get a pic before I leave in the morning. That is called a SBIHOTO. That stands for "square bulkhead I have on the overflow. I believe made of PVC, its very heavy & durable. Pretty sure its made by Elos - just about everything on their tanks are made by them for specific applications. Its very silent and works extremely well.

I'll try to get a FTS but its not very purty. Most of my SPS have lost mucho color and I've lost a few things with the long move process. Right now everything is just on the bottom, either on rocks or eggcrate.

Later!

df

Unread 04/27/2007, 03:48 PM   #46
naka
Registered Member

Congratulations on your new setup David! I love everything about your tank. Now all you need is Oranji to light it up

naka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2007, 06:54 PM   #47
ReefingBuddha
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback. I'm interested in this type of bulkhead because if I see your overflow right it isn't a traditional overflow at all, just the square bulkhead with the flex tubing. If that is right then its the kinda of thing I have been looking for. Thank you and once again... great tank.

Unread 04/28/2007, 01:09 AM   #48
Fliger
Registered Member

LOL naka, I love that Oranji - if you're talking about that purty coral of yours!

thirschmann - yup the bulkhead is really just a big hunk of PVC that you could DIY with a regular BH and a 90 - the trick really is creating a grate to keep livestock from going down. Its a great system, very silent and you don't have to worry about toilet bowl flushes, etc. The bottom of the blue tube is another BH that attaches to a pre-drilled hold in the top of the sump (lid not in pix). The bottom of that PVC is submerged & there is an air relief hole. I have realized that the Eheim 1260 is perfect - I was going to replace it with a RD 4.5 but this is just fine.

Actually I just realized that on top of the square BH on top there is an air tap.

Anway - I'm leaving in a few hours for a much needed vacation. My tank is in trusted hands (good reefer buddies) but I always get nervous when I leave. I'll get updated pix when I get back.

Unread 04/28/2007, 03:58 PM   #49
B.friend
B.Friend

That looks awesome

And I did Bo Bo Here

And I really Underestimated the creepyness"

Current Tank Info: RIP 200 Gallon , New Tank 124 Gallon Rimless Cube , Glass,
B.friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2007, 12:55 PM   #50
ReefingBuddha
Registered Member

When you get back I would really appreciate some pictures of the overflow so that I can try to make it myself. Thanks