Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Chico Reef Club
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/05/2007, 02:30 PM   #1
Twisted
Premium Member

Frags I am taking to the frag swap tomorrow

Well, I am going to post the pictures of the frags I am taking to the frag swap tomorrow, then hopefully Sunday or Monday I will be able to post pictures of the stuff I came home with.
This was actually suggested to me by someone to hopefully convince some people to go to the next frag swap that is passing on this one. I know we all have "Life" going on and sometimes giving up a saturday is a pain in the Arse, but the past frag swaps I have been to, have been more then worth it.
So hopefully this works out in a good way, if I have to post a bunch of ugly stuff when I get back, that isn't going to be very convincing is it?
I only need to take 3 frags for myself, and three frags for my wife, but in the spirit of the frag swap I am taking a few extras, for a total of 13 frags.

Some of these I will be taking more then one piece of and I will indicate that with a X# next to a name.

Orange pimpled yuma X2

orangish/pinkish zoanthid X3

Common green center zoanthid

greenish/yellow zoanthids X2

Eagle eye zoanthids

Blowpop zoanthids

Teal colored zoanthids X3

Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2007, 04:30 PM   #2
missyshrout
Registered Member

Those look great Brian. I don't have anything to frag quite yet but I am going to go and put in my money and see what I get. I am really more excited about learning about all the corals out there.

All your frags look great. I would be happy with any of them.

Can you roughly explain to me how this thing works? Or if you want we can wait until tomorrow on our way there.

Current Tank Info: 72 bowfront mixed reef, 135 all saltwater fish, 14 nano
missyshrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2007, 05:24 PM   #3
Underwaterparadise
Registered Member

I have been to a few swaps at Pam's and all I can say is you won't be sorry you went. I came home with close to 20 frags one time!! Her husband whips up a mean burger too not to mention all the Geeky reef talk hahahha

Current Tank Info: Taking a Vacation
Underwaterparadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2007, 10:34 AM   #4
missyshrout
Registered Member

I had a so much fun at the frag swap and want to say thanks to Brian, Matt and Teresa for taking me with them. What a great way to learn new things and meet more geeky reef people like me.

Thanks to Matt again for providing me some frags to take. We all did very well coming home with about 40 frags all together. I know Matt ravaged the tables at the free for all and ended up with about 20 frags or so on his own!!!!!!!!

Plus we all won raffle items, I won a green brain coral and a great Tyree chalice frag. I will let Brian and Teresa tell you what they won.

So I counted and came home with 8 frags from the swap and 2 raffle items. I did give back a gift certificate for a store that was in Milpitas. I should have thought than one through but still happy with everything.

Then we stopped in Marysville at Underwater Paradise. What a great store Rob!! Had a chat with Rob and Bought more coral!!!!!!!!! I am an addict!!!!!!!

So looking forward to getting everything out of QT and into the Tanks. Will take pics after everything is settled. Looking forward to our meeting on Friday. I will definitely take another trip to a frag swap. Well worth the drive, I mean ride.

Unread 10/07/2007, 11:44 AM   #5
Twisted
Premium Member

You are more then welcome Mellisa, the more people that go, the more fun it can be, then we can cycle some of the nice stuff those southern people have had for awhile up into our little towns.
I am pretty sure Matt ended up with 2 frags, Mellisa says she has 10, and between me and my wife we came home with 20, so anyone going would have average about 10 frags.

Here is a rough list of what I brought home and hopefully I can add some pictures a bit later today when it all opens up all the way

I got:
Sunrise Monti, probablly the most beautiful piece of monti I have ever seen, if I can keep it alive I will be happy as hell.

Superman Monti another really nice piece.

Bubble gum chalice

Green monti with orange polyps

Flower petal monti

unknown purple/tan acro

Cherry bomb zoas

Bam-Bam orange zoas

Fire inside zoas

mixed zoas with radioactive dragon eyes on one end, and unknown on the other end.

Bright green mushrooms

Blue spot mushrooms

rhodactise mushrooms

Silver gorgonian

Red mushrooms

Pink& green and yellow toadstool

Bumpy brown shrooms

and I am missing a couple but I can't remember what.....

Oh My wife also one a nice rock of what was labeled blue Xenia in the raffle. And we one one of the $25 gift certificate in the raffle, so guess I am going to have to plan a trip to milpitas soon.

Hopefully I will be able to post some pictures later today.

Unread 10/07/2007, 12:28 PM   #6
mikekman
Registered Member

GOOD STUFF at the frag swap.

mikekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2007, 02:37 PM   #7
Twisted
Premium Member

Here are a few okay shots I got so far. I still can't seem to get true color, the pictures are all a slight duller then the corals appear in real life.

Here are my new Cherry bomb Zoas. Very nice red on them.

Here are the Bam Bam zoas, nice orange!

Nice size frag of the Sunrise Monti this thing is awesome! Flame red polyps on it.

And a small but very nice frag of the superman monti

Unread 10/07/2007, 03:53 PM   #8
kyletech
Registered Member

I got 19 frags total twisted is going to take pictures to night for me. not bad, keep in mind I brought 25 frags so I don't feel bad going hard at the end in free for all.

Current Tank Info: 54g reef tank & 72g fowlr tank
kyletech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2007, 04:07 PM   #9
mikekman
Registered Member

what kind of corals did you get kyletech???

Mike

Unread 10/07/2007, 04:28 PM   #10
Twisted
Premium Member

Here is a couple more from the frag swap

the blue xenia my wife won in the raffle

and the bubble gum chalice

Unread 10/07/2007, 04:31 PM   #11
Twisted
Premium Member

I know Kyletech also got the cherry bomb zoos, he is the one that actually found them in the pile of stuff on the table and handed me one.

He also got a Tyree Purple Unknown Acro, a Cali Tort, a Steve Eliase acro, a couple other SPS, some Dragon eye zoas, and radioactive dragon eye zoas, that's all I can remember on the top of my head.
He did buy some nice purpleish colored zoas from Rob when we went to underwater paradise.

Unread 10/07/2007, 04:40 PM   #12
mikekman
Registered Member

Good stuff, the bluish xenia looks like anthelia.

seems like zoos were the big thing at the swap! Lots and lots of zoos!

Mike

Unread 10/07/2007, 04:53 PM   #13
boviac
Loves Tank Builds

Congrats everyone! Thanks for posting here what you all shared/swapped and won! I believe at the next meeting Brian will have a presentation describing the frag swap event for those interested on how it worked and how effective/productive it was.

Thanks again everyone!

Current Tank Info: No tank anymore - Hobby shift to Light Sport Aircraft
boviac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2007, 07:39 PM   #14
jo kerpaly
Registered Member

Twisted,

I brought the Bubblegum Chalice I hope that you enjoy it, it is one of my favorites. Also just to let you know, it likes low light and medium flow.

jo kerpaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2007, 08:27 PM   #15
Twisted
Premium Member

Thanks a lot for the info Jo Kerplay I will move it then, I have it at the top like an SPS. Do you happen to have a picture you could post of the main colony? It looks purple with pink eyes?
It was actually one of my first picks, I love all the chalices I have seen but have yet to buy one, so this gave me a great chance.

Unread 10/07/2007, 09:35 PM   #16
shelbiesdaddy
Registered Member

Thanks Brian and Matt for helping Melissa out at the frag swap. You guys are first in line for frags from anything that she got.

The Tyree chalice she won sits proudly in my tank.

shelbiesdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2007, 09:46 PM   #17
Twisted
Premium Member

She said you would rob her of that one!.

I did do some reading on chalices since I brought home a bubble gum chalice, and like Jo Kerplay mentioned, they are typically low light medium flow, so you guys should do great with the PC lights on that tank.
I would like a piece of that some day. Maybe when my bubble gum chalice grows up we will be able to swap a frag of them.

As far as helping Mellisa, she was pretty much on her own picking, we talked about a few diffrent pieces before selections started, but she had an idea of what she was getting before we started. Hopefully it is all opening up and looking good.
Hopefully next time you will be able to go too.

Unread 10/07/2007, 09:54 PM   #18
shelbiesdaddy
Registered Member

She has already told me that I don't have much of a choice about going next time. I just don't like really big crowds but it didn't sound too bad from what she said.

Unread 10/07/2007, 10:11 PM   #19
Twisted
Premium Member

Well, lets see,there are some photos on the mars forums these were taken by Reef N Madness I think

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...5&pagenumber=1

Might look like a crowd, but that is just a bunch of people watching, that was the only crowding in the whole giant place.

Unread 10/07/2007, 10:22 PM   #20
shelbiesdaddy
Registered Member

Nah, that doesn't look too bad.

Unread 10/07/2007, 10:25 PM   #21
Twisted
Premium Member

Trust me I generally hate crowds too. But I'm not as bad as I used to be about it. But there was no discomfort there at all for me, it was kinda cool to put faces to a few of the RC names I chat with all the time.

Unread 10/07/2007, 10:32 PM   #22
shelbiesdaddy
Registered Member

Yeah, a face to go with a name is kind of nice.

Unread 10/07/2007, 11:26 PM   #23
missyshrout
Registered Member

I was really surprised at how much fun it was and how nice most people were when you asked questions. Sometimes when you are new at something people get frustrated with people asking questions when all they are worried about is what they are going to get. I don't remember who the person was that brought all the zoas frags with the cherry bombs and fire inside, but he was nice and even took the time to show me all of them under a light. So thanks to whoever it was.

I believe it was airinhere who provided alot of the great zoas including the cherry bombs, which are the bomb from your pics. And he helped me look at all of them with the lighting he had.

So it was definitely nice to have all the help I had and to realize that maybe I did know a little more than I thought I did.

The only problem that I still have is with the briain coral in my 55 tank that is pulling away from its skeleton the bottom but is otherwise puffing up and extending tentacles to eat. We checked the magnesium levels and they were between 1150 and 1200 which is what we were told was the best place to be. So now I need to do some more research to find out what to do next.

We did put the new mottled green brain coral in my tank and the other brain coral in Dan's tank to see what happened.

So if anyone has any suggestions on the next step for the brain I am open to any ideas. At least the ones that I can afford!!!

Oh and when that blue xenia grows out I would like to swap with you guys for something.

I also would like to share some of my pink flower pot gonipora but I am still a little skittish about fragging it, so if anyone can give me some info on doing it that would be great. It is a great bright pink color and it looks great and adds lots of color.

The Zoas that Matt helped me find are opening up and are turing out to be a great big frag with alot of different color zoas. Still waiting for everything to open up. Now the colt coral is turning out to be a little difficult to keep still. I read some stuff about a reefer putting a toothpick in the middle of it to attach it to some live rock. That just seems like alot more strain on it for right no. So if anyone has any more ideas about anchoring I would love to hear it..

Twisted, thanks for the info on the Tyree chalice, I am kind of excited because it seems to be a rare and doesn't seem to hard to keep alive even with our pc's. And of course you and Matt are first on the list for a frag of that one.

I will be posting pictures of everything that I can tomorrow hopefully so that everyone can see what just a newbie who has never done this before can come away with from a frag swap as far as frags and also able to put faces to names on reefcentral.

Looking forward to the next one!!!

Unread 10/08/2007, 09:45 AM   #24
Twisted
Premium Member

Ok, I have not fraged a flower pot as of yet, so I will read up before I comment there.

As for the colt coral, the best way I have found is to take like three pieces of rubble or so, about 2 inches for the size of that coral. put the colt on the sand bed, and place the rocks against the bottom of it, so that the actually lean against it. As long as the flow doesn't pull it out, it should grab onto a rock to try and pull itself free, at that point he is now mounted to a nice rock.
In effect you are actually trapping it with the rocks.

Unread 10/08/2007, 12:30 PM   #25
jo kerpaly
Registered Member

Twisted,

the main colony is purple purple with pink eyes. We don't have the best camera but I will try and get a picture for you tonight. I am glad that you like the piece and hope it does well in your tank.

jo kerpaly is offline   Reply With Quote