Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/06/2006, 12:31 PM   #1
pszemol
Registered Member

Saltwater backyard fish pond?

Here is an idea to think about:
build a fish pond but to fill it with salt water instead of freshwater

What animals/plants would fit nicely such a saltwater body in southern Wisconsin and Chicago area ?

Subfreezing temperatures in winter, hot summers, etc...

Any fish/inverts could you suggest ?

pszemol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2006, 02:30 PM   #2
DougSupreme
Registered Member

two problems I could foresee in advance.

One: how would you keep the salinity stable? Rain and evap would wreak havok on your salinity from day to day.

Two: How would you maintain an adequate temperature during our wonderful winter season? Could be expensive to maintain an 80 temp when the air temp is 0 or less

But if you come up with solutions to these situations, please post your results.

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef
DougSupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2006, 03:22 PM   #3
pszemol
Registered Member

Well, I am not talking about the tropical reef pond, obviously.
I was thinking about real-life, unheated pond. Probably one exception would have to be considered: freezing time in winter. I know saltwater will not likely freeze solid, but anything alive in the pond would not like temperatures below freezing point.

Evaporation/rain - that is an issue, I agree. But, similar situation is in the ocean shore in the tide pools: salinity varies a lot in these areas!

My biggest thing would be twofold:
- the cost of salt
- variety of animals which can survive in such environment

Can you think of any fish/invert suitable for such pond ?

pszemol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2006, 03:41 PM   #4
MDKyleZ
Premium Member

I think it was about 2 years ago now a man approched the company that I was working for about turning his 40 foot half indoor half outdoor lap pool in to a reef tank, here in Florida.

There is are several threads here on RC about it.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=364989

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=364991

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=364990

Kyle

MDKyleZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2006, 03:46 PM   #5
MDKyleZ
Premium Member

None come to mind that are very common.

World wide there are several places with this kind of temp. swing. Look for the critters that live in those places.

Kyle

Unread 05/07/2006, 02:30 PM   #6
reefnewbie54321
Moved On

Its been done ive seen pictures on other boards maybe a year or so ago.

Sainity would be #1 problem

Temperature would be your second, you could use a propane pond heater. Along wit a propane pond chiller in summer.

If you dont use a chiller and heater your temperature will go through ridiculas swings ... no invert/fish could survive those kinds of swings

reefnewbie54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2006, 08:23 PM   #7
spoon671
Registered Member

Get a seal, maybe a penguin? Salinity and temperature wouldn't matter TOO much to them.

Current Tank Info: IM Nuvo 16 Mixed Reef
spoon671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2006, 09:28 PM   #8
sjfishguy
Registered Member

Bluefish, sea robins, american flounder, american eel, black sea bass, sand sharks, striped bass. all these fish from the mid-atlantic can withstand temps from 50-80 and huge salinty swings. These are your best bet IMO. However, there may be some fish and game issues and I dont know how you would get these fish out where you live. Easy to get around here though

Current Tank Info: 65 mixed reef
sjfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2006, 11:45 PM   #9
TOYMAN357
Registered Member

I live in Ma and the only thing around here in the winter is shell fish, lobsters, and maybe a a Tatog(sea bass). I am thinking of turning my swimming pool into salt water for the summer and fall. I will need to release late fall I think no way to heat 7000 gal pool over winter.

TOYMAN357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2006, 11:52 AM   #10
Mclendonmdw1
Registered Member

There is a great example of a salt water pond at the Whitney Lab in St. Augustine Florida. The pond is probably 100 feet by 40 feet. Its purpose is not to be a “pond” so much as a post treatment pond for their lab, but it is stocked with red fish, snook, flounder, sheep head, sting rays, and a few other species. The reds are the size of my leg! Any way this is the only working salt water pond I have ever seen. I wish I had pics. Basically the system that serves the pond works like this:
The water is pumped from an off shore well point that is 20m deep in the ocean floor about .25 miles off shore. The water is pumped into a huge cistern that sits about 20 feet in the are. I would guess the cistern is about 20,000gallons. (This is also where I get my salt water from. Then from the cistern it flows into the lab tanks where the study olfactory nerves in lobsters and phosphoresces in inverts. Then from there it flows into a denitrifying pool (BIG FAT WET DRY W/ bio balls) then into the pond where it has a resonance time to remove any thing else it is then discharged into the intercostal water way. The system is a flow through so the water is turned over constantly. I think this is one of the few ways to have a salt water pond.

Mclendonmdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2006, 11:02 PM   #11
starfish66
Registered Member

What you are describing or wanting is not natural, and no noticeable creature could survive the temp and salinity swings, as well as general uncleanliness.

starfish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2006, 03:43 PM   #12
rustybucket145
Registered Member

If you have an auto-topoff system the salinity issue would be null. On to the sand issue. Why not rent a dumptruck and make a trip to the keys? You will have to invest heavily in heaters and chillers and maybee even an alarm system to alert you if the temp swings too far (equip failure). Many animals can withstand these 'wider' temp swings. In the marsh the water gets extemely hot during low tide and cools back off when the tide comes in.

Current Tank Info: 2 175w MH, 2 VH0 Actinics, Lots of Live Rock, tons of copepods, a Fat Mandarin Goby, Niger Trigger, Yellow Tang, Falco Hawkfish, Bi-Color Pseudo, numerous soft, SPS and LPS Corals
rustybucket145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2006, 09:47 PM   #13
tkeracer619
Registered Member

The money you spend on this would be better spent on a huge tank in your living room. That way you can see it all the time and it wouldnt be a small pond in the backyard you forget about.

The swing would be there with auto top off, it wouldnt get more concentrated just less if it rained. Mixes with mud, fertilizer, cat poop. You name it its in the back yard.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2006, 06:06 PM   #14
Ursus
Registered Member

Yeah I think a huge tank would be more cost efficient in the long run, but it would be cool to have a saltwater pond.

Ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2006, 06:33 PM   #15
JmLee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MDKyleZ
None come to mind that are very common.

World wide there are several places with this kind of temp. swing. Look for the critters that live in those places.

Kyle
so mdkylez, what ever happened to that whole 7000gallon pool deal?.

JmLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2006, 03:04 PM   #16
castorpollux
Registered Member

if it gets below freezing the top will freeze and raise the salinity sky high, if you top it off with ro then when it melts you will have it drop to the floor. i thought about trying a project similar to this along time ago, i was going to build a surge barrel for it and everything... its just impossible unless you just put it inside of a greenhouse.

Current Tank Info: Currently none... but previously a 23g SPS Nano- 400w XM 20k, 2-32 w Sunpaq Dual Actinics, 2 maxijet 1200 (mod'd), magdrive 5 return, cpr backpak skimmer, refugium. 4g office pico 70w 14k hqi
castorpollux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2006, 03:25 PM   #17
Sk8r
RC Mod

what you're likely to have is a salt marsh, estuary conditions. Scats might tolerate it, dragon goby, etc. It would, however, wreak havoc on your lawn.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2006, 12:55 PM   #18
ezcompany
Registered Member

if u have some sort of a canopy on top of it that would help tons.
would keep out dirty rain water, snow, leaves, bird poop...could help control the temperature if u could cover the sides a bit.
i can't imagine what you need for current and flow. did maxijets come out with their 10000s series?
i say build a underground tunnel right next to it and start ur own mini aquarium.

ezcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2006, 11:42 AM   #19
uhohraggy
Registered Member

A very long time ago, there was a company that built reef pools. They also did freshwater. I think I saw it in the early 80's.

These were heated swimming pools though.

uhohraggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2006, 03:37 PM   #20
MDKyleZ
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JmLee
so mdkylez, what ever happened to that whole 7000gallon pool deal?.

The man is still rebuilding from huricaine damage. And I no longer work for the same company. Still friends with them though.

Kyle