Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/01/2017, 10:22 AM   #1
Alvaro_avalos
Registered Member

Dying/dead coral

My softies aren't doing so well but when I test my water I get perfect results and within the range I should be I think it could be my alkalinity but I'm not sure I've been having problems for months now in the past id say 9 months I've gone through cyano bacteria and green hair algea I scrubbed off the gha until it didn't come back and I had a 3" thick sand bed so I just buried the cyano which was a terrible choice so then I had algea on the sand bed so I took it out until it was only 1" and it looks to have stopped the algea on the sand but my coral is either dead or something it never bounced back I don't have a fancy coral light but it does the job for softies and how do I know If a xiniea is doing bad I have a small one and it doesn't look awful like the other coral it's a 10 gallon tank top so my salt levels are **** sometimes

Alvaro_avalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2017, 11:40 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Well..
In the future please try to actually use sentences so its not just one long paragraph of blah blah to read.. A capitol letter here and there and some punctuation really helps.

Please post the results of your tests.
Please list the type of lighting you are using.
Having salinity levels *** isn't a good thing either..
Stability is key to corals..
Small tanks can be very difficult as minor changes have a more drastic effect thus making "stability" even harder to achieve.

Posting some photos may also help along with the types of corals,etc..
The more information you provide the better chance we have of helping you.

All we know now is that your tank is a mess with algae/cyano problems and you don't have a fancy coral light.. whatever that means.
If your tank is a mess and going through the "nasty/ugly" stages then I'm not sure how you would expect corals to be happy in that environment either.

Unread 03/01/2017, 05:15 PM   #3
bertoni
RC Mod

I agree that keeping the salinity level more stable might help a lot. What are the other basic parameters?

Tags
alkalinity, coral, dead coral