Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/08/2020, 03:03 AM   #1
anupam
Registered Member

Help me plan out a Wrasse-only setup.

Greetings to all.
I want a display tank of 6'(length)*2.5'(width)*2'(height) dimensions set up with an appropriately sized sump+refugium(suggestions?)

Filtration - cotton pads and chaeto.

Aquascape- DIY rocks (from sea shells, sand, cement), dry sand (or should I go bare bottom?)

Flow- wavemakers, return pump.

Lights- normal led lamps with some reds, cyans, whites (may be some cheap DIY or household stuff).

I think I am going to cover the top with several glass sheets (3mm?)

Stocking- I want to go with an all-wrassse community. So I am requesting you all to please provide me with all your valuable advice, inputs, experiences, thoughts, knowledge and research.

Help me with stocking the tank with all the right wrasses and every thing else that you think you should talk to me about (like the filtration, rocks, sand/no sand, lighting needs, flow, DT, sump, refugium, anything special).

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

anupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2020, 03:31 AM   #2
tkiry1
Registered Member

Definitely a sand bottom because wrasses like to burrow.. How many gallons will it be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tkiry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2020, 03:43 AM   #3
anupam
Registered Member

6' long x 2.5' wide x 2' high
224 us gallon may be

Unread 04/08/2020, 04:29 AM   #4
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkiry1 View Post
Definitely a sand bottom because wrasses like to burrow..
Not true for flasher and fairy wrasses and some others.

OP. What wrasses are you thinking about... any favorites?

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2020, 06:11 AM   #5
anupam
Registered Member

I think I want a community of wrasses. Without peace a community can't exist. There will be no corals or invertebrates in the tank. Small sized so that I can cram in as many wrasses as possible without being cruel or something. One male to two or three females. Only colourful ones meaning the reds, blues, yellows, greens, purples, pinks, et al. Just a side note, I am too greedy for colours and wrasses.

Unread 04/11/2020, 08:25 PM   #6
Fiish
Registered Member

The aspect of the aquascape is not very clear to me. If you want to keep wrasses, you better get rock live rock, for a good colony of bacteria when you go to add your fish. Otherwise you can cycle the tank with dry rock and be patient until your cycling parameters tell you that it's time to start populating your tank. 224 gallons is a great size for what you plan to do, some wrasses are difficult to maintain, and you definitely need sand, personally I have always used deep sand beds, but it's a problem if you want to remove it to another tank

Fiish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2020, 04:50 PM   #7
anupam
Registered Member

Thank you all for the suggestions so far and I appreciate your valuable inputs.
To aquascape my tank I plan to use self made rocks (DIY rocks). Have them cured. Put them in the tank, cycle it, keep the parameters in check, introduce some nitrates and a little Chaeto, put in some phytoplankton and zooplankton. Have them populate the whole tank. I also plan to go with a big sump-refugium that will have filter-socks, macro algae, a lot of (DIY) rocks, chiller and thermostat, return.

Unread 04/12/2020, 06:47 PM   #8
anupam
Registered Member

And for the tank bed, keeping in mind the in-sand sleepers, I decided for now to go with atleast 3 inch thick sand bed so that when they dive into their cozy beds they don't hurt their noses.

Unread 04/12/2020, 06:51 PM   #9
anupam
Registered Member

I am not quite sure what wrasses to choose and mix to ensure peaceful coexistence. This is the reason why I am approaching you all to please provide me with your inputs and insights and help with the stocking process. Thank you again.

Unread 05/07/2020, 11:07 PM   #10
anupam
Registered Member

I still can not decide what wrasses to mix.

Unread 05/10/2020, 07:15 AM   #11
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

This sounds like a cool idea! I'm no wrasse expert but I would think the flashers and fairies would be the best ones for a peaceful community. If I were in your position I'd start picking out ones that interest you, then research them to see if they are good candidates.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2020, 11:24 PM   #12
Achilles Torben
Registered Member

You will get problems with algea without docs or rabbits. Also you will get problems with majano or glass roses without angel fish or butterfly fish. The size of 240 gallon is not easy to handle without support of fish.

Greetings Torben

Achilles Torben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2020, 05:30 PM   #13
dYno
Registered Member

Anupam Kese ho Ji? I hope you’ll post some pictures once the tank is set up!

dYno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2020, 09:40 PM   #14
anupam
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dYno View Post
Anupam Kese ho Ji? I hope you’ll post some pictures once the tank is set up!
Thank you dYno Ji. Ji safe hu. Abhi to kuch ho nahi sakta. Bas ghar ke andar chup chap..ha ha ha.
Definately. Personally, I love tank builds and without pictures its boring. I hope to post pics right from the onset. But, with the present situation in hand its going to get delayed I think.

Unread 05/28/2020, 09:58 PM   #15
anupam
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles Torben View Post
You will get problems with algea without docs or rabbits. Also you will get problems with majano or glass roses without angel fish or butterfly fish. The size of 240 gallon is not easy to handle without support of fish.

Greetings Torben
Right. You have brought that issue up which we most often tend to miss out from the frame of our planning. We are more focussed on the Big things. Yes. I plan on stretching my refugium to making it very long (near about the DT length) and narrow it down to about a foot with a partition parallel to the length diving the width into two halves of 6 inches each. Water enters into filtersocks, runs down one flank of the partition through a Chaeto-jungle, 'U'-turn, down the other flank of Chaeto-jungle to where the return pump sits.
And the cycling will be followed by Chaeto addition. Feed the Chaeto at an increasing ratio for a month or two raising it to the amount I would feed the fish while the fishes undergo quarantine.
What do you all think?

Unread 05/28/2020, 10:57 PM   #16
anupam
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
This sounds like a cool idea! I'm no wrasse expert but I would think the flashers and fairies would be the best ones for a peaceful community. If I were in your position I'd start picking out ones that interest you, then research them to see if they are good candidates.
Thank you Michael.
So far I have made a little research and found the fairies to be fit for the list. Flashers they say are a bit shy which I think could push them back, I am not sure.
I have also read about the issue of every fish in the (Fairy)harem turning into a male leading to killing spree until the ONE is the sole survivor of a group.
This leads me into thinking about a second aquarium placed right next to the first with both sharing the same stocking list but not more than one from each kind. This could eliminate colour loss that happens from isolation as well as horror stories of bloody encounters.
Just my thought.

Unread 05/29/2020, 12:49 AM   #17
anupam
Registered Member

Thank you all for the suggestions I have gathered so far. I appreciate your valuable input and your precious time you have given me.

Unread 05/29/2020, 01:22 AM   #18
anupam
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles Torben View Post

Greetings Torben
Also, about the algae issue as mentioned by Achilles Torben I am inclined towards thinking about the CUC but also am worried as I have read about wrasses considering they to be a tasty treat. So, can you guys name the wrasses that are known to be a treat to inverts?

Unread 05/29/2020, 01:24 AM   #19
anupam
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupam View Post
Also, about the algae issue as mentioned by Achilles Torben I am inclined towards thinking about the CUC but also am worried as I have read about wrasses considering they to be a tasty treat. So, can you guys name the wrasses that are known to be a treat to inverts?

I am sorry, I meant to say 'threat to inverts' in my question in that last line.