Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/28/2019, 05:20 PM   #1
PRDubois
Registered Member

Neptune DOS

Anyone using one?
1. Are they worth having.
2. Do the heads need replacing like other dosing pumps.
3. What size are the tubes 1/4"?

Current Tank Info: 225 gal Reef, 60 gal reef & 40b frag tank
PRDubois is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2019, 08:35 PM   #2
OzIA
Registered Member

I've had one for a few years. I got it when they first came out. They had to send me a replacement roller within the first month but it think it was a manufacturing issue. I haven't had any issues since. Pretty slick. You can run them at different speeds, forward and reverse. It seems to be pretty robust but I'm sure you will eventually have to replace the tubing or maybe the rollers or head depending on use. I don't use it for water changes. That might put more wear on them. The supplied tubing is bigger (thicker) than 1/4 but I'm not sure of the exact size. You can make 1/4 work. I believe the ID is the same as 1/4.

OzIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2019, 08:54 AM   #3
Yogre
Cheesehead Reefer

I have a DOS I use for automatic feeding, the fact that it can be programmed to run in reverse makes it ideal for this purpose. I’m going to get another one soon for chemical dosing. They are definitely more expensive than a basic dosing pump, but for my application it’s worth it.

The heads do need replacing periodically. I think you can get them from Bulk Reef Supply for $30ish.

The tubing Neptune supplies is 4mm ID, 6mm OD. I find it to be very stiff, so for the run from the pump to the tank I’ve substituted 1/4” tubing, which I find more flexible. Heat the tubing end up in hot water, it goes on the DOS just fine.

Current Tank Info: 215 gal TBS Reef
Yogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2019, 06:07 AM   #4
fishyguy7
Registered Member

The heads don’t really need replacing but the tubbing in the head does. I think 2 new heads cost like 50 bucks but I bought enough tubbing to change mine for a lifetime for 50

fishyguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2019, 09:12 PM   #5
Fishbulb2
Registered Member

I have two. One is loud, the other is silent. The key is that they are super easy to program and have a much smarter calibration process than the competitors.

Calibration: with the DOS you tell it to start the calibration process and it dispenses for a set amount of time. Then you tell it how much it dispensed. Easy. Done.

I also have a liter meter, which I love.

Calibration for liter meter: You have your wife in the basement watch the graduated cylinder and scream when it hits 50 ml and then you press done on the pump. If you didn't hear her, it's because the kids were screaming. She comes up the stairs and you send her back down into the basement. She complains and then you ask her if she'd rather be under the stand smelling the skimmer cup. Bad all around.

FB

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon tank. SPS, LPS, few softies
Fishbulb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2019, 01:41 PM   #6
Bary
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbulb2 View Post
I have two. One is loud, the other is silent. The key is that they are super easy to program and have a much smarter calibration process than the competitors.

Calibration: with the DOS you tell it to start the calibration process and it dispenses for a set amount of time. Then you tell it how much it dispensed. Easy. Done.

I also have a liter meter, which I love.

Calibration for liter meter: You have your wife in the basement watch the graduated cylinder and scream when it hits 50 ml and then you press done on the pump. If you didn't hear her, it's because the kids were screaming. She comes up the stairs and you send her back down into the basement. She complains and then you ask her if she'd rather be under the stand smelling the skimmer cup. Bad all around.

FB
Holy crap! Your wife must be related to mine! The simplest of tasks escalates to WW3! Men are from Mars, Women are from.... Heck, I have no clue.

Bary is offline   Reply With Quote