Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/02/2012, 03:46 PM   #76
Spectre2006
Reef Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt48 View Post
The scratchings could have been caused during the crating and shipment.
The trapped gas dot at the surface was not seen.

I'm debating doing 96 x 24 x 24 or 96 x 30 x 24 rimless, starphire 3 sides. External overflow full length with 8 holes drilled.

Spectre2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2012, 03:55 PM   #77
andyvalk
Moved On

I hope this all works out for you. Any idea where the got the felt pad and what rubbing compound it was?

andyvalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2012, 04:05 PM   #78
jt48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre2006 View Post
I'm debating doing 96 x 24 x 24 or 96 x 30 x 24 rimless, starphire 3 sides. External overflow full length with 8 holes drilled.
My 96x36 rimless was limited to a max height of 23. Not sure if the 96x30 will be same.

jt48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2012, 04:09 PM   #79
jt48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyvalk View Post
I hope this all works out for you. Any idea where the got the felt pad and what rubbing compound it was?
Thanks. Me too. I am one of the very few that has had a problem with Miracles.
No sorry but I have the felt drill attachment and a Baggie of the orange polishing compound to use if needed.

Last edited by jt48; 05/02/2012 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Typo
Unread 05/02/2012, 06:18 PM   #80
Lam Ly
Registered Member

Trapped Gas Dot.

I've seen trapped gas dot before and sometime it's jidt bother me with the light on it will shine through your eyes if you happen to look at the right angle.
I had three Tech Tank from Oceanic the have the gas dot on the starphire glass.

Lam Ly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2012, 07:10 PM   #81
Spectre2006
Reef Addict

I might end up going with the marineland DD 300 gallon. My concern is the moving process into the home and the location inside. Marineland has the white glove service. I really like rimless but seeing the headaches your going through.

I noticed in the pics the movers didnt use any glass suction devices, if the tank is braced against a leg or jeans with abrasive material, it could also lead to a scratch. I think your mentioned one of the scratches was inside the tank, that one is hard to explain. Have you water tested it yet?

Spectre2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2012, 07:31 PM   #82
ganjero
saiperchémibatteilcorazon

That's a massive tank, I'm guessing the bottom panel was scratched during the build. Maybe they are not as careful with that panel since it wont be a viewing side; maybe they use glass that is scratched for bottom panels. Either way it sucks so does the trapped gas.

It seems like the movers "rolled" in the tank, did miracles see those pics? I'm amazed with their customer service, to come over and help polish out some of the scratches. Are they still trying to decide something about your tank?

ganjero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2012, 08:39 PM   #83
jt48
Registered Member

At first I believed the scratches could have been caused by the movers. AND thumbs up for miracles, they did not ever question that possibility and hence relieve themselves of responsibility. But, then I found multiple scratches, (not just that V shaped one pictured) on the interior bottom pane. This was not even touched by the movers. So I'm thinking the scratching is on miracles. Who knows maybe it was a combination. Either way the scratching is a dead issue. Miracles had a install in Newark NJ and when they were fininished came to my house in Pa and took care of the scratches on front pane.
The only issue I have now is one trapped gas dot at the exterior surface of the front pane and the subsequent heat deformity. It is too early to comment on this resolution. Other than that I love the tank.
Maybe this should be a poll? Should I stop complaining and live with a imperfect $4000 tank or should Miracles ensure 100% satisfaction ?

Unread 05/02/2012, 09:04 PM   #84
andyvalk
Moved On

For $4k it should be flawless

Unread 05/03/2012, 12:47 PM   #85
maik1
Registered Member

Flawless?

I'm sorry but NOTHING is ever perfect. I'm happy with my 300 gallon Miracles tank and especially the service. I personally would go with Miracles again, no question.

Maik1

maik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2012, 12:53 PM   #86
andyvalk
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by maik1 View Post
I'm sorry but NOTHING is ever perfect. I'm happy with my 300 gallon Miracles tank and especially the service. I personally would go with Miracles again, no question.

Maik1
I hate to tell you, but you are 100% wrong. Look at the tanks that come out of Reef Savvy.

My father owns a custom woodworking company, where kitchen remodels can be upwards of $130k. Do you think he just tells his customers that pay an obscene premium over the garbage at Home Depot "sorry, nothing is ever perfect?" Nothing leaves that shop that isn't perfect, which is why his work is in some of the most expensive and famous pieces of real estate in the country.

It would be ridiculous for him to tell his customers nothing is perfect, just as it is to pay a 400% premium for a custom tank that has defects. You and everyone else should expect more.

Unread 05/03/2012, 12:54 PM   #87
andyvalk
Moved On

And one other thing...I currently run a 6 year old Oceanic Tech tank that was, and still is flawless. And it's not even custom!

Unread 05/03/2012, 12:56 PM   #88
maik1
Registered Member

Quote:
I hate to tell you, but you are 100% wrong. Look at the tanks that come out of Reef Savvy.

My father owns a custom woodworking company, where kitchen remodels can be upwards of $130k. Do you think he just tells his customers that pay an obscene premium over the garbage at Home Depot "sorry, nothing is ever perfect?" Nothing leaves that shop that isn't perfect, which is why his work is in some of the most expensive and famous pieces of real estate in the country.

It would be ridiculous for him to tell his customers nothing is perfect, just as it is to pay a 400% premium for a custom tank that has defects. You and everyone else should expect more.
Sorry, I guess I'm wrong.

Maik1

maik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2012, 12:57 PM   #89
Allmost
Moved On

I got my 200 G from them too ...

they are good ppl, but mine too had scratches, and silicone job has air trapped in the seems ....

they offered to buff the scratch ... and did .... then I got bored of waiting and just installed the tank and am living with it. stuff inside the tank distract me and others from seeing the imperfections on the glass ... so not a HUGE deal no more.

but with that said, I would still go back to miracle for all my tanks, cause after comparing to others, I See they are still better, I had a small frag tank, redone by another company, 5 times now ! and they still cant get it correctly ! I ended up selling that tank at half price, just to get rid of the headache ...

so I guess nothing can be 100% perfect ...

but, miracles used to be ALOT better back in the days, 5-6 years ago, their tanks were flawless, I got a couple for my parents basement back then.

sorry about the rant ... just thought it might help

your project looks amazing, and I am sure once it sees water, u wont remember the scratches anymore

Allmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2012, 03:32 PM   #90
Lam Ly
Registered Member

Personally I don't think the scratches on the finish panel from Miracles, I more lean on the movers. but who knows.
the bottom glass I can understand that no body cares about the bottom Miracles might saw the scratches on the bottom glass and just left it because again no one cares and it will get scratches anyways.

I had miracles tank before and I just recently bought another one it's still in the crate. i am affraid to open now.

But for the $4G and custom made I would expect to be perfect or at least near perfect.
I also, hate to see bubble trapped in the seams and trapped dot in the front panel.

So far I still think Miracles made good tank and price is fair compare to others.
especially C to C cost an arm and a leg and their tanks has alot of bubble in the seams.

GL with the situation.

Lam Ly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2012, 03:40 PM   #91
geaux xman
Registered Member

Quote:
Please point to me ONE 200g+ tank from RS that is flawless. I see a bunch of <120g, but very few bigger.

Quote:
400% premium?? I think you are way way off there buddy. Please go price how much 3/4" starphire glass go for.

It is much easier to build and transport a 4ft tank vs an 8ft tank. Look at all the guys twisting and turning to get the tank into the house. Theres no telling what could've happen from the time the crate was opened to the time it came on the stand. I'm very doubtful that Miracles would've sent the tank with all those obvious scratches. It would've been much easier for them to buff it out before sending it.

to the OP, if its just that one pen tip size flaw in the front, i would probably just fill it up and live with it. once the tank has livestock, i bet you will be the only person that will ever even know that its there. i dont think theres anymore that can be done about it now.

btw, my tank was delivered without a single scratch. it was handled by me and 4 other family members using 3 sets of suction cups.

Last edited by geaux xman; 05/03/2012 at 04:02 PM.
geaux xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2012, 07:22 AM   #92
bikeboss11
Registered Member

This build is shaping up to be a beaut lol keep the updates coming

bikeboss11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2012, 05:32 PM   #93
muskiewade
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt48 View Post
At first I believed the scratches could have been caused by the movers. AND thumbs up for miracles, they did not ever question that possibility and hence relieve themselves of responsibility. But, then I found multiple scratches, (not just that V shaped one pictured) on the interior bottom pane. This was not even touched by the movers. So I'm thinking the scratching is on miracles. Who knows maybe it was a combination. Either way the scratching is a dead issue. Miracles had a install in Newark NJ and when they were fininished came to my house in Pa and took care of the scratches on front pane.
The only issue I have now is one trapped gas dot at the exterior surface of the front pane and the subsequent heat deformity. It is too early to comment on this resolution. Other than that I love the tank.
Maybe this should be a poll? Should I stop complaining and live with a imperfect $4000 tank or should Miracles ensure 100% satisfaction ?

For $4,000, you should be 100% satisfied. Any mention from them of getting some money back on this?

muskiewade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2012, 06:10 PM   #94
badharley99
Registered Member

watching your thread wish you luck

badharley99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2012, 06:12 PM   #95
jt48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskiewade View Post
For $4,000, you should be 100% satisfied. Any mention from them of getting some money back on this?
Still too early to comment on resolution but it is being worked on.
Thank you to all for your input on this matter.

Unread 05/05/2012, 05:54 AM   #96
andyvalk
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by geaux xman View Post
Please point to me ONE 200g+ tank from RS that is flawless. I see a bunch of <120g, but very few bigger.

400% premium?? I think you are way way off there buddy. Please go price how much 3/4" starphire glass go for.

It is much easier to build and transport a 4ft tank vs an 8ft tank. Look at all the guys twisting and turning to get the tank into the house. Theres no telling what could've happen from the time the crate was opened to the time it came on the stand. I'm very doubtful that Miracles would've sent the tank with all those obvious scratches. It would've been much easier for them to buff it out before sending it.

to the OP, if its just that one pen tip size flaw in the front, i would probably just fill it up and live with it. once the tank has livestock, i bet you will be the only person that will ever even know that its there. i dont think theres anymore that can be done about it now.

btw, my tank was delivered without a single scratch. it was handled by me and 4 other family members using 3 sets of suction cups.
I know how much Starphire costs dude...I just priced some out a few months ago. And by the way, I have a Coast to Coast that is FLAWLESS.

Your second paragraph essentially accuses the OP of lying and exonerating Miracles. I am not sure how you arrive at your prejudiced conclusion. I hope you never sit on a jury. You just made an assumption out of thin air.

My local club has had more than a few issues with Miracles, so trust me, they send stuff out that shouldn't be. Stuff that could not have happened during shipping.

Then you finish by saying your tank arrived perfect, which proves my original point that tanks can, and should be flawless. Especially at this price.

So after everything you said, you essentially said I was right. Thanks!

Unread 05/05/2012, 07:04 AM   #97
geaux xman
Registered Member

Like I say, please link me to a 200g+ reef savy tank that is supposedly flawless.

400% premium, what a joke.. Or perhaps everyone at Miracles is working for free, nor do they to pay rent, insurance, electricity, etc etc. Miracles should also find another glass supplier, b/c I can guarantee they're making nothing close to 400%.

I'm glad to see that you're privy of a flawless tank from C2C. Please send me us a link.

If you like to discuss this further or how you arrived at your 400% premium figure, please send me a PM.

Unread 05/05/2012, 07:33 AM   #98
andyvalk
Moved On

Quote:
Like I say, please link me to a 200g+ reef savy tank that is supposedly flawless.

400% premium, what a joke.. Or perhaps everyone at Miracles is working for free, nor do they to pay rent, insurance, electricity, etc etc. Miracles should also find another glass supplier, b/c I can guarantee they're making nothing close to 400%.

I'm glad to see that you're privy of a flawless tank from C2C. Please send me us a link.

If you like to discuss this further or how you arrived at your 400% premium figure, please send me a PM.
Dude, you have something wrong with you. You can get the same tank from glass cages with starphire for ~$2500. I am sure they aren't working for free are they? No, but they make garbage which is why people pay more for Miracles or someone else. Please explain to me why you can get a sub-200 gallon that's without scratches but not over that? Maybe that makes sense to you, but not anyone else. 400% was hyperbole. Look it up.

Unread 05/05/2012, 08:03 AM   #99
geaux xman
Registered Member

When I was getting quotes for my tank, GlassCages quoted me $313 less than Miracles. This is with my tank being 60x30x23" while GC 60x24x22".

Even with GC, you wont be able to get a 96x36x24" 3-sided starphire delivered for anywhere near 2500.

This is the GC quote:
60 x 24 x 22 Rimless Tank is $ 1052.00.00
Overflow and 2 holes $ 115.00
Starphire front & ends $ 500.00
Acrylic cover $ 40.00
Bulkheads 2 sch 80 $ 30.00
Pick up Baton Rouge $ 150.00

Total = $ 1887.00

Unread 05/05/2012, 08:25 AM   #100
andyvalk
Moved On

Quote:
When I was getting quotes for my tank, GlassCages quoted me $313 less than Miracles. This is with my tank being 60x30x23" while GC 60x24x22".

Even with GC, you wont be able to get a 96x36x24" 3-sided starphire delivered for anywhere near 2500.

This is the GC quote:
60 x 24 x 22 Rimless Tank is $ 1052.00.00
Overflow and 2 holes $ 115.00
Starphire front & ends $ 500.00
Acrylic cover $ 40.00
Bulkheads 2 sch 80 $ 30.00
Pick up Baton Rouge $ 150.00

Total = $ 1887.00
Not sure what your tank has to do with this. But you can go right to glass cages website and this tank is ~$2900 local pickup, reef ready, starphire. Goodbye.