Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/04/2015, 07:09 AM   #26
kizanne
Registered Member

sefannie that is an awesome picture.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
kizanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2015, 04:38 PM   #27
Betta132
Registered Member

It is! Always awesome when they burrow up next to the glass.
Chaeto is probably a good addition to any rearing tank you set up. It'll grow pods, provide hiding spots, and eat nitrates. Caulerpa prolifera might also be an option, but it's not as good for pods. Just good for nitrate sucking.

Unread 02/09/2015, 05:16 PM   #28
Luis A M
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsreef View Post
When the female gets buried in, it's generally because she's tending eggs. So it's a good bet they've spawned
Sorry to disagree here,but it is always the male,not the female,the tending member of the pair in most marine fish,at least in all the tropical marine ornamentals that I know.

I had worked with this species in the past and posted it elsewhere.

Current Tank Info: I keep about 40 tanks,for breeding and larval raising.Most are 10 gallons.
Luis A M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2015, 11:17 PM   #29
gogo7
pico reefer

i feel that it's the male that stays buried in the tunnels for days on end.
i used to think it was the female out of my breeding pair of stonogobiops nematodes that stayed in the tunnels... until i got some good photos of the pair together...the fatter of a breeding pair is almost always the female.

gogo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2015, 06:40 AM   #30
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis A M View Post
Sorry to disagree here,but it is always the male,not the female,the tending member of the pair in most marine fish,at least in all the tropical marine ornamentals that I know.

I had worked with this species in the past and posted it elsewhere.
I'd have double my check my notes on the pair I had breeding some years back. Unfortunately those notes are living in an attic back on LI. Pretty sure I recall it was the female of my pair that stayed behind in the burrow...based on body condition pre and post spawning. They had dug the burrow right down to the glass, and the tank stand was the sort that allowed me to look up from the bottom and spy on the nest and care.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2015, 09:56 AM   #31
Luis A M
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsreef View Post
I'd have double my check my notes on the pair I had breeding some years back. Unfortunately those notes are living in an attic back on LI. Pretty sure I recall it was the female of my pair that stayed behind in the burrow...based on body condition pre and post spawning. They had dug the burrow right down to the glass, and the tank stand was the sort that allowed me to look up from the bottom and spy on the nest and care.
When some brooding care is provided to the spawn;be it nest care,pouch brooding,mouth brooding or egg ball care,it is the male the one who takes the chore.
This is particularly true with gobies,where even if there are about 2,000 species with many different ways of life,it is always the father who cares for the nest.Quoting from "The Biology of Gobies"(CRC Press,2011):

"a basic reproductive pattern shared by all gobies consisting of the laying of demersal eggs cared for by the male until hatching"

Current Tank Info: I keep about 40 tanks,for breeding and larval raising.Most are 10 gallons.
Luis A M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2015, 01:07 AM   #32
stefannie
Registered Member

How long before they hatch and start to notice lil babies?

stefannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2017, 10:27 AM   #33
zelna
Registered Member

hi there
i have sandsifting gobys that had some eggs how long does it take to hatch its been in the hole for a month that they keep it hiddin inside the hole

zelna is offline   Reply With Quote