Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/23/2017, 06:41 PM   #26
dabob79
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Darilek View Post
How is the skimmer working for you?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It's taking some time to dial it in correctly, but it's starting to make some good foam. There's no bioload in the tank yet so no much to skim at the moment. I'll keep you updated on my progress with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Marineland 93 gallon rimless cube, Radion LED/T5 Combo, Eshopps sump, Nyos skimmer, Apex controller
dabob79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2017, 08:28 PM   #27
dabob79
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabob79 View Post
It's taking some time to dial it in correctly, but it's starting to make some good foam. There's no bioload in the tank yet so no much to skim at the moment. I'll keep you updated on my progress with it

Success! Making nice foam and starting to pull stuff out.

Also, looking for some constructive criticism on my aquascaping. The goal was to build it higher in the back, and leave a good open area in the sand up front. There's openings for smaller fish to swim through, and not too crowded. What do y'all think?

Current Tank Info: Marineland 93 gallon rimless cube, Radion LED/T5 Combo, Eshopps sump, Nyos skimmer, Apex controller
Unread 01/12/2018, 03:32 PM   #28
Heavysledz
Registered Member

Quote:
Success! Making nice foam and starting to pull stuff out.

What are the squares of double sided tape (I think) on top of the skimmer cup for? Is it to prevent the cup from coming of or vibrations from touching the lid?

Heavysledz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2018, 07:20 PM   #29
dabob79
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavysledz View Post
What are the squares of double sided tape (I think) on top of the skimmer cup for? Is it to prevent the cup from coming of or vibrations from touching the lid?

I added those to add just enough height so the inside of the lid touches the skimmer and pushes it down, it tends to want to lean forward a bit using the mounting clip.

Unread 01/12/2018, 10:08 PM   #30
rockhead51
Registered Member

Quote:
I added those to add just enough height so the inside of the lid touches the skimmer and pushes it down, it tends to want to lean forward a bit using the mounting clip.

Dabob79, you are running that extended neck on your skimmer, right?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

rockhead51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2018, 10:18 PM   #31
dabob79
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhead51 View Post
Dabob79, you are running that extended neck on your skimmer, right?

I am. I could have made it about a 1/4 inch longer so I wouldn’t have to put all that two-sided tape on top of it, I may do that someday. For now it works great so I’m not messing with it lol

Unread 01/13/2018, 10:15 AM   #32
rockhead51
Registered Member

Quote:
I am. I could have made it about a 1/4 inch longer so I wouldn’t have to put all that two-sided tape on top of it, I may do that someday. For now it works great so I’m not messing with it lol

I went with a longer tube for the main body, and then fashioned an extension for the clip that holds it to the divider. I get about the same amount of height, but obviously I block more flow over the weir. On the plus side, my skimmate cup still sits flat on top of the black plastic top piece.
I get different amounts and consistencies depending on:
1. What I feed that day.
2. How much I stir up the sand/blow off the rocks.
3. How old my airstone is (I usually put a new one in monthly. I dry out the old ones and then take a rasp to them to clean them up. The "reconditioned ones seem to work as good or better than the new ones).
4. And obviously how I adjust the bubbles.

I've even had so much foam in the cup that it has pushed the top off. And I empty once a day concurrent to feeding and water change (I do a half gallon every day- keeps things very stable and fish and coral seem to like it that way).

rockhead51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2018, 03:43 PM   #33
ant123mon
Registered Member

32 biocube

very interesting post I also have the same tank. stevesleds are awesome. I was mad that I payed for fast shipping and he didn't mail them till 4 days after. kind of defeating the purpose of expedited shipping. The light end up costing me $400 or so with the hurricane controller. The lights are amazing and the controller is great. Light makes the tank worth the investment. Thanks to everyone for the skimmer advise good knowledge here.
Anthony

ant123mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2018, 08:38 PM   #34
dabob79
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant123mon View Post
very interesting post I also have the same tank. stevesleds are awesome. I was mad that I payed for fast shipping and he didn't mail them till 4 days after. kind of defeating the purpose of expedited shipping. The light end up costing me $400 or so with the hurricane controller. The lights are amazing and the controller is great. Light makes the tank worth the investment. Thanks to everyone for the skimmer advise good knowledge here.

Anthony

I’m using the factory LEDs along with a ReefBar Pro 50/50 and ReefBar actinic from 21LEDSUSA. Paired the new LEDs with a Sunsetter controller and the whole setup looks great!

Here’s the skimmed still doing its thing, the small mod I made works perfect!

Unread 01/29/2018, 08:04 PM   #35
Saltwatersource
Registered Member

I have a biocube 29 but kind of wish I would have waited around to find a red sea. Just love the rimless design.

Saltwatersource is offline   Reply With Quote