Reef Central Online Community
Tunze USA

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 03/17/2019, 07:53 AM   #1
PCguy21
Registered Member

Need to your immediate input on a stand for my 135g tank

I have a 40 year old 135g tank i bought from an older gentleman in his 70s 3 years ago. The tank is in great shape for its age and i completetly resealed it. Now the (problem) is the angle iron stand it came with. He had it custom built and its a pretty stand and way overbuilt which is good.. it uses 3 1.6th c channle framed metal for the tank base and legs. And it has a bottom built in with a metal mesh and frame to put a sump and filter or whatever on it.

The issue is this. The stand itself is uneven. Im not sure how but on a flat surface it wobbles teo oposite legs meaning front left and rear right legs. So i believe it might be twisted. Its been fine for 3 years what i did was just shim the legs to keep it even. I had to weld 3.16th flat plates to the legs as they are L shaped kegs.. perfect stilleto pointed legs not good for 1600lbs of weight on subfloor. I also on top of the like 4 metal shims under 2 legs have 2x10 pressure treated wood under all 4 legs to spread weight out even more.

Its got 4 legs for such a heavy tank too... which is meh that means 1600 lbs st least is spread on 4 legs... so im sure my joists dont like that.

Its on the 3rd level in my bedroom and its sitting parrallel to 2 joists length wise but each joist rests on a load bearing beam on both sides and the left and right side of the tank are only 1 1.2 feet from the load bearing beams.. so it should be fine.

I have thr oportunity to purchase a really really nice looking wooden stand for the tank for 40$.. not wobbly or cracked or stain missing its in nice shape.. its a 72x18 stand so built for 125 135 and 150g tanks.

This means all the tank weight will be evenly spread along the entire 6 foot of the stand.. or entire 6 foot of the 2 joists.. and subfloor its on. INSTEAD of being on 4 legs putting 1600 lbs on maybe 1 foot of space..

Am i making sense ? As i said its been fine where its at nothing has suken in.. the tank is still level which means the floor hasnt sagged from the 4 legs.

Should i save my money ? Or would you guys get the wooden stand for better weight distribution.

PCguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/17/2019, 07:58 AM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

If you think it's worth the effort & $40 to get peace of mind - Go For IT.

Old 03/17/2019, 08:13 AM   #3
PCguy21
Registered Member

Yea 40$ is cheap fir a manufacture built stand. Looks like its built by perfecto its one of their pine.oak stands. I could put it in storage and or resell it too.. or i could get a 150g tank on facebook market i always see 135 or 150g tanks with no stands for like 100$

PCguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote