Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/09/2007, 08:28 AM   #576
vicmiller
Registered Member

Do they need any help where you work?

Current Tank Info: 120 Oceanic, Maristar-2x250HQI +2 T5s, Barebottom Display. 2 Tunze 6085, 2 Tunze 6025, 1 VorTech MP40W ES, Custom basement sump 3'x4'x18" 1/2 remote 6'deep sand bed, BubbleKing Mini 200, OzoTech Posiden 200 ozone generator
vicmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2007, 03:14 PM   #577
thriceanangel
Registered Member

Chillers are way more expensive than heaters!!

Florida's heat makes you all soft and weak! Up here in upstate NY we know the secret that makes you tough... Finding fun in cold that causes pain. Everyday here...

thriceanangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2007, 03:31 PM   #578
nyvp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thriceanangel
Chillers are way more expensive than heaters!!

Florida's heat makes you all soft and weak! Up here in upstate NY we know the secret that makes you tough... Finding fun in cold that causes pain. Everyday here...
I saw upstate Ny in the news today .....I feel for ya

vicmiller- I'm self employed as a commercial realtor

gobyone- thanks

nyvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2007, 03:35 PM   #579
nyvp
Registered Member

Got the Remote deep sand bed going today
made out if 1/4 of my 240 sump

Its close to 400lbs of sand in my sump
48x24x12

Its fed by a t-off my panworld 40

into 4 phosban reactor 2 with carbon and two with phosban media

Last edited by nyvp; 02/09/2007 at 03:43 PM.
Unread 02/09/2007, 03:46 PM   #580
jnarowe
Registered Member

I have about 400lbs. in mine too.

Current Tank Info: 70g fresh planted
jnarowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2007, 08:23 PM   #581
TandN
Registered Member.

Let me ask you something about the phosban reactors.

Now if your waters going into the first one at say .06 by the end it will be .00 but now if they were all seprate they would come out at .03 say. Now even though its coming out a lil higher wouldnt you take more out in the end since theres more units working by themselves ?

TandN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2007, 08:41 PM   #582
nyvp
Registered Member

yes and each week I will replace one so it will be on a four week schedule.

Unread 02/15/2007, 12:22 PM   #583
instrance
Registered Member

:-)

Nice tank dude! Finally got to to see it.

instrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2007, 12:13 AM   #584
LarryW
Premium Member

wow that is on amazing tank.....

LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2007, 07:37 AM   #585
spazz
Awaiting Email Confirmation

now that everything is up and running.... how well is the cystern doing to control the tempture of the tank? do you think it will be able to keep the tank under 84 deg during the hot summer days in florida? also is the cystern hooked up to the aquacontroller so it can shut down different systems incase the temps do go over 84 deg? in my mind this is an awesome way to cool a tank if you have the ability to install a system like this. i feel more people can benifit from this if it works in the southern states.

spazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2007, 01:03 PM   #586
OnlyCrimson
Registered Member

wow! really nice setup. I like the way it's maturing

OnlyCrimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2007, 01:25 PM   #587
NoCarrier
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spazz
now that everything is up and running.... how well is the cystern doing to control the tempture of the tank? do you think it will be able to keep the tank under 84 deg during the hot summer days in florida? also is the cystern hooked up to the aquacontroller so it can shut down different systems incase the temps do go over 84 deg? in my mind this is an awesome way to cool a tank if you have the ability to install a system like this. i feel more people can benifit from this if it works in the southern states.
What's the idea behind the cystern? Just a large body of additional water to make the system less susceptible to temperature change?

NoCarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2007, 06:02 PM   #588
nyvp
Registered Member

instrance- thanks gotta see up close

LarryW- ty for the kind words

OnlyCrimson- slowly but surly gonna let it chill out for one month then add a few more things

spazz , NoCarrier

the cistern isn't in yet. I'm waiting on my circular driveway install. I will do it when the big power tools are here and make my job easier. My temp averages between 76 and 77 so far and gets down to 75 if i let it so need to rush it.

The idea of the cistern is a extra 1000/g added to the system for cooling and stability. It will be plumbed in like a closed loop . I dont really want it offline because the water may go Bad. What I may to is have two pumps one that will turn it over say 1 times and hour and another thats on my controller that kicks in another 2000/gph pump when it gets warm in the tank. I think that would give me the best of both worlds.

BTW spazz when will my calc cover be done? its been a while.

Unread 02/16/2007, 09:12 PM   #589
lookout888
Registered Member

Question about the cistern

1. Will stuff settle in the bottom and over time be a bad thing?

2. Will this be buried under ground? If so if there is a single leak ever wont that wipe out the system and make you dig up your yard? (Fertilizer/dirt can not be good for the tank)

Tank looks awesome and a lot of good info in this tread.

Thank you
Mike

lookout888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2007, 06:48 AM   #590
nyvp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lookout888
Question about the cistern

1. Will stuff settle in the bottom and over time be a bad thing?

2. Will this be buried under ground? If so if there is a single leak ever wont that wipe out the system and make you dig up your yard? (Fertilizer/dirt can not be good for the tank)

Tank looks awesome and a lot of good info in this tread.

Thank you
Mike
Usually yes, but the cistern is after all the filtration so the sediment should be limited. Also the output will be on the bottom so it mostly will go back into the tank.

yes it will be underground because that's where the cold earth is. The tank is basically a septic tank so I'm not worrying about it splitting. They last for a very long time. They are made to be buried.Like anything else if I see a huge drop of water I will know where its coming from. I ofcoarse will keep the whole open for a while and check to see if there is any leaks before closing it.

Unread 02/17/2007, 07:31 AM   #591
TandN
Registered Member.

Im sorry but I think you are gonna regret it sometime in the future

Unread 02/17/2007, 09:28 AM   #592
nyvp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tanya72806
Im sorry but I think you are gonna regret it sometime in the future
please explain. Have you had a cistern that you have tried? I would love some input?

Unread 02/17/2007, 09:41 AM   #593
TandN
Registered Member.

I havent but I have a friend that used one and after 6 months he had problems with leaks because the ground settles and then he had to dig it up to fix which it was a simular set up whee it was after filteration and it still in the 6 months had alot of crap in the bottom of the system. Whihc if he didnt have to dig it up in the 6 monthtime he would of had alot of detruis. I feel if your gonna have one then it should be fully accessiable to clean out and repair anything that might come up in the future. but please this is onlt my OPINION

Unread 02/17/2007, 10:05 AM   #594
jnarowe
Registered Member

Detritus will be a problem I would think, but high flow on the bottom should keep it suspended. It does add some additional risk, but it is certainly worth a try.

I set up my system with extra outputs on my manifold in case I needed to chill my system. My plan, if needed, would be to use a ground loop and titanium heat exchanger. There are multiple tanks successfully using this method so that is still an option for this tank too. Large cisterns are actually fairly expensive to buy so the cost difference is really not a concern. There is still the possbility of the ground loop developing a leak, but there would be no detritus issue because it would not actually be part of the tank water.

This does not however add water volume for stability. I think that at 800g there is enough inherent stability in this system without the cistern, but I am really interested to see how it turns out, and how effective it is. I will be ripping out my 1,300 sq. ft. deck and building a tiered system much like the foundation and slab of a house. In it I will have a 1000g RO/DI waste water holding tank, as well as a 500+g RO/DI holding tank, and possibly a 200 - 500 SW mixing tank. There will also be a water feature and probably a spa. But the big decision is whether to bury a ground loop in or under it, or perhaps a cistern like the one planned here.

So get on with it man, I need to tear out my deck before it melts away!

Current Tank Info: 70g fresh planted
jnarowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2007, 02:03 PM   #595
Reefski's
Registered Member

what is the earth temp? it seems to me that you will get too much cooling effect if it is always running and part of the greater system.

i would love to hear from others who have had a ground loop cooling system. separate or as a continual part of the system.

Carl

Reefski's is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2007, 04:56 PM   #596
nyvp
Registered Member

there are many threads about geo cooling here on RC. The temp of the earth at 6 ft (water table)in south Florida is always at 74 degree all year round. There shouldn't be much flux back and forth. I was at a construction site and it was that temp in the middle of the summer.

Unread 02/17/2007, 05:07 PM   #597
Reefski's
Registered Member

that is really great. no too many of us can do it that way. i am going to use a ground lopp on my new system also. but only when i need cooling. not all the time.

Reefski's is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2007, 05:19 PM   #598
nyvp
Registered Member

the only thing is the possible that as you turn on the closed loop like that the rush of cold water and the possibility of the water going bad over time thats why I want to keep it going all the time.

Unread 02/17/2007, 11:56 PM   #599
OnlyCrimson
Registered Member

So this cystern will be buried and not accessible? That is the only thing i see wrong with it. I would want to be at least able to inspect it from the top. As, far as detritus goes, I think some sort of drain in the bottom would work. That may not be possible. Too bad you couldn't do a vortex filter on this. That would be great.

OnlyCrimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2007, 05:30 AM   #600
ruk
Registered Member

nyvp- awesome tank. you have almost inspired me to be successful in life\business just so I can afford the hobby. who needs something like potential when you have a totally sweet tank like this one to defy the laws of awesomeness? My bad for the overuse of awesome but theres no other way to describe it. My least favorite part of this thread was where you said something about you 'only having 12 fish in your system and how it barely impacted your bio load.' I hate you. Your lucky Im not that black dood who lives up the street otherwise Id straight jack you. fool. I mean foo'. Then I would syphon your water on to your lawn. Just because Im black. Jk Cute kiddo BTW. Makes me miss the days when I could fit in a sump :P
jnarowe- you are the sh*t. Ive been reading your posts for the last two days and they make me look forward to puttering around. I understand (I probally dont but think I do) your bluntility. I made that word up. But you get my point, I like your style. Stroke or no stroke your an inspiration with a mouth to back it. I never knew the coast of WA had blennies, but youve got me thinking if WA's got blennies, just think what FL has got. I dont trust these TX waters. If only I could find the origin of your original (nonsplit) thread that would be appreciated since it dosnt seem to exsist but other than that It's like were almost friends.
and spazz- **** son. your a genuoso. If nano's even needed a sump Id call your ***.

ruk is offline   Reply With Quote