Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/24/2018, 10:44 AM   #6226
Valantine
Registered Member

Snail?

I found this snail? in my DT yesterday before the lights came on. I don't know if it's a sick snail or some other creature - looks like a slug with a shell. I put in my QT tank because it didn't look like something that should I wanted in display. Its still moving around the QT tank pretty quickly and does climb up the glass, but it does have some slime strings. Is it just a sick snail that should be put out of its misery? I'm clueless.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2684.JPG (85.4 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2685.JPG (84.9 KB, 56 views)
Valantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2018, 03:46 PM   #6227
Pandagobyguy
Registered Member

Id?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Pandagobyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2018, 09:22 PM   #6228
taricha
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valantine View Post
I found this snail? in my DT yesterday before the lights came on. I don't know if it's a sick snail or some other creature - looks like a slug with a shell. I put in my QT tank because it didn't look like something that should I wanted in display. Its still moving around the QT tank pretty quickly and does climb up the glass, but it does have some slime strings. Is it just a sick snail that should be put out of its misery? I'm clueless.

Looks kinda like zebra moon snail. Definitely predatory.

taricha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2018, 01:11 PM   #6229
hfa3501
Registered Member

Hi All, I have a question (but no pictures)I am starting to find all kinds of little creatures in my tank that I didn't put there - most are cool little critters but I don't know much about them. I am starting to see asterina stars - very small, nit of any concern. But the other day I found a little tiny clam attached to the back wall of my tank - no bigger than a pinky fingernail, but h moved and now I can't find him. Anyone have any experience with these? What's the likelihood he will survive? He was pretty cool

hfa3501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2018, 01:16 PM   #6230
AlSimmons
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandagobyguy View Post
Id?

If your referring to the red things the link below might help.

http://www.saltcorner.com/AquariumLi...=2087&filter=0

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2018, 01:22 PM   #6231
AlSimmons
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfa3501 View Post
Hi All, I have a question (but no pictures)I am starting to find all kinds of little creatures in my tank that I didn't put there - most are cool little critters but I don't know much about them. I am starting to see asterina stars - very small, nit of any concern. But the other day I found a little tiny clam attached to the back wall of my tank - no bigger than a pinky fingernail, but h moved and now I can't find him. Anyone have any experience with these? What's the likelihood he will survive? He was pretty cool
I believe these are tiny Mussels that often hitchhike their way into our tanks via live rock, corals etc. I've got 3 of them in my tank that have been with me for months now without any problems. Being that they are filter feeders they don't really require any special care either. The link below might help. (Bivalve)

https://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhikers-guide/

Last edited by AlSimmons; 01/28/2018 at 01:28 PM.
Unread 01/28/2018, 01:37 PM   #6232
hfa3501
Registered Member

Thanks AlSimmons - the link is helpful! My little clam-guy was totally white - does that make any difference? Or is a bivalve of any sort a good thing?

Unread 01/28/2018, 02:17 PM   #6233
AlSimmons
Registered Member

Did the overall shape and appearance look the same as the ones pictured in the link above? If so then I don't think the color matters. They're just harmless filter feeders.

Unread 01/28/2018, 02:29 PM   #6234
hfa3501
Registered Member

Vermetids???

Now that I have had a chance to look at the hitchhiker thread, I think I have ID'd something else that has been popping up regularly for a few months now - I think these are Vermetids looking at that link....the question is, how do I get rid of them? The Hitchhiker page doesn't give any tips.

I also noticed these little tiny, white almost translucent little anemone looking thins in my sump. No idea what they are, where they came from, or if I should scrape them off. Only in the sump - not the tank itself.

Any help is appreciated - Thanks!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Is this a Vermetid.jpg (39.3 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg they are everywhere.jpg (63.4 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Anemone looking things in sump.jpg (30.2 KB, 60 views)
Unread 01/28/2018, 09:11 PM   #6235
Registered Member

The tube like thing tube worm, 3rd pic is of pineapple sponge both are desirable.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00ED using Tapatalk

101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2018, 09:58 AM   #6236
hfa3501
Registered Member

Thanks 101010! The tube worm thingy is worrying me because I have several of them on my stag coral and it is not doing well. All my other coral is thriving. When i feed, there is white stringy stuff that they secrete. I have other small tube worms that look like mini feather dusters but they don't put out the white stuff, and don't seem to affect any of the corals they are on.

For the pineapple sponge, if they are a good thing, is there any way I can move them into the DT? They are only in my sump right now for some reason.

PS. I appreciate all the input and the help from everyone!!

Unread 01/29/2018, 10:20 AM   #6237
cwyatt
Registered Member

What is this? Rock opened up and gave birth?

Sorry for the bad pictures, maybe a description of what happened will be enough to make an identification? This morning as I looked at my tank, what looked like a crack in my live rock opened up and spit out a bunch of little white blobs. The little white things have two antennas. Two of them managed to attach to the glass and are slowly moving around on the glass, the others got sucked into the filter. If I had not seen it happen, I would have guessed that the white things were flat worms. The thing that spit the things out has antenna, looks snail like and has a rock piece that covers it that it can open and close. My tank is new with only live rock in it at the time, it's been up almost three weeks. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg rockthing1.jpg (59.9 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg rockthing2.jpg (53.4 KB, 52 views)
cwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2018, 08:08 AM   #6238
ABopp
Registered Member

Hi! Not sure if this thread is still active but here is where I need help. I picked up my aquarium last Friday from someone looking to get out of the hobby. Set up when I got home using her existing live rock, water and substrate which we transported. Since then I have noticed these white worm looking things on the rock and I am assuming dead. They have not moved since last Friday. What are these and do I need to remove all the rocks and clean those off? Also when I took pictures last night, I noticed this red stuff on the rock (last pic)...not sure if that was there before or not, I've never noticed.

The last two set of pictures are the same but with the flash on and off.

Currently, I have nothing in the aquarium...wanting to start testing the values tonight for a few weeks until I have reliable consistency before adding anything.

Any help or ideas would be amazing! Thanks!

(Hope this works! I've never used Photobucket lol)

ABopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2018, 10:10 AM   #6239
cwyatt
Registered Member

Today

No ideas?

Today it has been mostly closed but occasionally it will open a tiny bit and I can see two white antennas.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg rockclosed.jpg (100.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg open.jpg (64.5 KB, 33 views)
Unread 01/30/2018, 11:09 AM   #6240
Pandagobyguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyatt View Post
No ideas?

Today it has been mostly closed but occasionally it will open a tiny bit and I can see two white antennas.
My guess is limpit but cant really see details. They usually hide in a crevice at day and scramble around later. Google to check?

Unread 01/30/2018, 11:10 AM   #6241
Pandagobyguy
Registered Member

Also any idea what this is? Sry for blurry photo. It is exactly what it looks like though. No mouths or discernable features, just lobes. Macro algae?

Unread 01/30/2018, 12:27 PM   #6242
hfa3501
Registered Member

the link that AlSimmons posted on the 28th shows them as Red Valonia - an undesirable algae form. http://www.saltcorner.com/AquariumLi...=2087&filter=0

Doesn't look good if that's what it is

Unread 01/30/2018, 12:30 PM   #6243
hfa3501
Registered Member

BTW, does anyone know how I would know the difference between a tube worm (feather duster) and a Vermetid? They look similar and I am worried that I have Vermetids on my stag coral. It's not doing well but everything else is flourishing

Unread 01/30/2018, 12:34 PM   #6244
cwyatt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandagobyguy View Post
My guess is limpit but cant really see details. They usually hide in a crevice at day and scramble around later. Google to check?

Thanks, it does seem limpet-like but it doesn't move around and I thought limpets lay eggs. This thing spit out live babies.

Unread 01/30/2018, 03:47 PM   #6245
juanmanuelsanch
Registered Member

Quote:
BTW, does anyone know how I would know the difference between a tube worm (feather duster) and a Vermetid? They look similar and I am worried that I have Vermetids on my stag coral. It's not doing well but everything else is flourishing
If you have the doubt kill it. One less it's not going to make a difference.

The feather duster actually have feathers coming out of the tubes, looks like a flower of some sort. The Vermaid not... It's just filaments coming out.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

juanmanuelsanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2018, 03:50 PM   #6246
hfa3501
Registered Member

I am going to kill them tonight - they do not look like the other feather-duster type tube worms I have and can recognize.

Thanks!!

Unread 01/31/2018, 03:44 PM   #6247
Pandagobyguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlSimmons View Post
If your referring to the red things the link below might help.

http://www.saltcorner.com/AquariumLi...=2087&filter=0
Thank you! sorry i somehow missed the update on tapatalk...

Unread 01/31/2018, 03:45 PM   #6248
Pandagobyguy
Registered Member

Quote:
the link that AlSimmons posted on the 28th shows them as Red Valonia - an undesirable algae form. http://www.saltcorner.com/AquariumLi...=2087&filter=0

Doesn't look good if that's what it is
Thank you!

Unread 01/31/2018, 06:24 PM   #6249
hfa3501
Registered Member

Little red things on live rock

Well, I'm back with more questions! I have really started studying my tank lately and it seems every time I look at it I notice some kind of new growth. So far, I think most of them have been good - but I am still discovering(asterina stars, pineapple sponges, bristleworms, etc.).

Now I have this new stuff all over a piece of rock and I don't know what they are either LOL. They look like little tiny red coral starts, but I don't know - any guesses from anyone out there?

They are all the little red things that look like very small red trees.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180131_190657.jpg (50.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20180131_190824.jpg (61.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20180131_190840.jpg (69.4 KB, 36 views)
Unread 01/31/2018, 06:25 PM   #6250
hfa3501
Registered Member

OH and I failed to mention they are all growing upright - some of the pics look sideways because I had to turn the camera to get the pic