Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/16/2017, 07:07 PM   #26
SPotter
Registered Member

what did you decide for the stand???

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2017, 08:24 PM   #27
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunzy View Post
Great looking room! It looks like you are coming along fast here!
Brunzy - Welcome aboard or good luck on the post minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
what did you decide for the stand???
SPotter - Steve speaking of stand I was working on a design today. I was going to share .

03/16/2017
Stand Design v1.0
I worked on my stand design a bit today! I sent it over to my builder to see if they have any concerns. This may change but I will share version 1.0. The stand as designed has a top rail made from 2" x 4" steel. The rest of the stand is made from 2" x 2" steel. Corner gussets are 4" x 4" triangles. Top and bottom gussets are 1.5" x 1.5" squares. All have 1/4" holes that I will use to attach the front and top. The stand will have a 3/4" sheet of plywood on the top and the face of the stand. The foam pad will be 5/8" from what the builder said. Overall dimensions of the stand is 84" L x 42" W x 39" H. The stand will have removable self leveling feet. Another feature it will have is a walk-rail. This will be great since I will have no front access to the tank. With the walk-rail I will be able to access the front of the tank with out any issues.

2x4Stand-with walk rail by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

2x4Stand-with walk rail-top by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

2x4Stand-with walk rail-side by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Unread 03/19/2017, 09:05 AM   #28
Dragon1979
Registered Member

Following

Dragon1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2017, 07:00 AM   #29
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

So did you get any work done this past weekend??

Cant slow down on this you have to keep moving forward.

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2017, 08:02 AM   #30
Tom39
Registered Member

I agree with worm5406, what progress if any were you able to make this weekend?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 150g Marineland Cube
Tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2017, 08:15 AM   #31
McPuff
Registered Member

Those are nice dimensions for the tank. Looking forward to seeing this progress. Don't be surprised how much time you spend looking in through the sides of your tank in the fish room. :0)

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2017, 08:58 PM   #32
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon1979 View Post
Following
Dragon1979 - Welcome aboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm5406 View Post
So did you get any work done this past weekend??

Cant slow down on this you have to keep moving forward.
worm5406 - Larry stop being funny. We (including you) were out framing a workout room this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom39 View Post
I agree with worm5406, what progress if any were you able to make this weekend?

Tom39 - Tom welcome aboard...that goes for you too...lol. We (including you) were out framing a workout room this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Those are nice dimensions for the tank. Looking forward to seeing this progress. Don't be surprised how much time you spend looking in through the sides of your tank in the fish room. :0)
McPuff - Welcome aboard. Part of the reason I ended up getting Starphire on the end and the back was because I knew how much time I would spend looking through the tank. I like taking pictures as well so I am expecting to get some great shots through the clear glass. On my old tank that was in the wall like this one I spent a lot of time looking at the corals from the end of the tank also.

03/17/2017
I found out I don't have to change my stand design. Derek at Miracles signed off on the design which is great. I sent the stand design off to a local company the same day to see if they could do the project.

I also realized I had not posted the schematics for the tank. The main display area is roughly 73.75" x 40" x 26". The other area if my overflow section. I plan on using a Herbie Overflow setup. Bulkheads will be provided by Miracles as well.

03/18/2017
No progress was made in the fish room. Saturday I spent the day with some buddies (worm5406 - (Larry), Tom39 - (Tom), and RJT - (Richard) framing out a workout room and running electric for Richard. I did however do a 30 gal water change on my temp set up to try to fight some nitrate issues.

03/20/2017
Today I spoke to Chuck over at Capitol Heights Iron Works and they will be making my tank stand to my specifications. It's something exciting about designing something and then having it built. As they make progress I will post some pictures. Hopefully the end product turns out like I envision it in my mind. I am I am debating if I should get it power coated or not. If I don't powder coat it I have seen a few things people use to protect the metal. I did my down payment today so once the material arrives he said it will be about 3 weeks to complete. Things are slowly coming together .

Unread 03/20/2017, 09:07 PM   #33
worm5406

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightOwl View Post
worm5406 - Larry stop being funny. We (including you) were out framing a workout room this weekend.

03/18/2017
No progress was made in the fish room. Saturday I spent the day with some buddies (worm5406 - (Larry), Tom39 - (Tom), and RJT - (Richard) framing out a workout room and running electric for Richard. I did however do a 30 gal water change on my temp set up to try to fight some nitrate issues.
Yes and we did have fun! Even if we did not have a dust pan.

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
Unread 03/21/2017, 07:50 PM   #34
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Yes and we did have fun! Even if we did not have a dust pan.
worm5406 - Larry I am still chuckling about us not having a dust pan and the look on Richard's face when we asked why we could not use the one from upstairs in the kitchen.

Unread 03/24/2017, 12:07 PM   #35
ddanis60
Registered Member

Following and looking forward to build updates! great clean work.

ddanis60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2017, 09:31 PM   #36
worm5406

Any progress?

Unread 03/30/2017, 09:57 AM   #37
brownmarc
Registered Member

Following along and paying close attention as I am looking for a house in MD with Fish Room Space lol. Great work by the way!!!

brownmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2017, 08:54 PM   #38
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddanis60 View Post
Following and looking forward to build updates! great clean work.
ddanis60 - Welcome aboard.

Quote:
Any progress?
worm5406 - Larry work has gotten pretty crazy so I really have not made much progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownmarc View Post
Following along and paying close attention as I am looking for a house in MD with Fish Room Space lol. Great work by the way!!!
brownmarc - Welcome aboard. Look for a place with a morning room and an unfinished basement area. I knew I was set as soon as I saw the morning room with the unfinished part in the basement.

03/23/2017
During my ultra excitement about my stand I forgot to take into account the width of my fish room doorway. I am working with my stand builder now to revamp my stand design. This is what I sent over to him:
2x4Stand-two parts- 3 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

2x4Stand-two parts- 2 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

2x4Stand-two parts- 2 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr
I also worked on my back wall table. I need to take pictures of the work I did. During the process I found out how uneven my floors really are. I built a temp stand for my sink as well but after doing a water change in my temp tank the sink is a bit high. I am going to redo the height. With the amount of space left over I am going to go with two 65 Gallon Norwesco Vertical Tanks.

03/24/2017
I put project on Thumbtack to get a quote for how much it would cost to have the floor leveled. I am going to get an estimate to see how much it will run. based on the number of shims I will have to use I have to come up with a better plan.

Unread 03/30/2017, 09:00 PM   #39
iced98lx
Registered Member

Subscribed.

Consider DIY floor leveling? Mix N Pour leveler is easy to use.

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2017, 05:59 AM   #40
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iced98lx View Post
Subscribed.

Consider DIY floor leveling? Mix N Pour leveler is easy to use.
iced98lx - Welcome aboard. That is the plan. The area has so many spots that are uneven it's it had to mix enough in one shot to fix the issue. If their estimates are two high I will need to rent one of those cement mixers so I can mix several bags at one time to do bigger pours.

Unread 03/31/2017, 09:00 AM   #41
iced98lx
Registered Member

if you can wrangle some friends, you can mix 5 gallons at a time and pour while they are mixing the next one etc etc.

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2017, 12:02 PM   #42
SPotter
Registered Member

I would only worry about leveling the area where the tank stand will be. had this issue with my tank back in NJ. that tank was 72x36 so we built a form with 1x2's that was slightly larger than the tank footprint. poured the mix into the area and leveled it out. I don't see a need to do the entire area of the room.

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2017, 12:55 PM   #43
halmus
Registered Member

Quote:
I would only worry about leveling the area where the tank stand will be. had this issue with my tank back in NJ. that tank was 72x36 so we built a form with 1x2's that was slightly larger than the tank footprint. poured the mix into the area and leveled it out. I don't see a need to do the entire area of the room.

I feel better about what I did with my tank after reading this. That was almost my exact same process recently. I propped up the critical points with metal shims to level and then filled everything in to the forms with self leveling.

I used some heavy duty double sided tape to secure the forms to the floor (cement) and contain the leveling cement as much as possible.

I also ran a layer of duct tape on the inside of the forms prior to pouring to help them release easier from the cement.

Capped everything off with the trimwork to hide the ugly.

halmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2017, 03:01 PM   #44
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iced98lx View Post
if you can wrangle some friends, you can mix 5 gallons at a time and pour while they are mixing the next one etc etc.
iced98lx - This may be an option if the estimate comes back too high. Great option if renting a mixer is more expensive than I want as well.

Quote:
SPotter - I have thought this as well. The problem is the back wall were I plan to have the frag tank has some issues as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halmus View Post
I feel better about what I did with my tank after reading this. That was almost my exact same process recently. I propped up the critical points with metal shims to level and then filled everything in to the forms with self leveling.

I used some heavy duty double sided tape to secure the forms to the floor (cement) and contain the leveling cement as much as possible.

I also ran a layer of duct tape on the inside of the forms prior to pouring to help them release easier from the cement.

Capped everything off with the trimwork to hide the ugly.
halmus - Welcome aboard. This is why sharing really helps. It's funny how most of the issues we encounter as reefers someone else has already experienced.

03/23/2017 - Continued

The uneven floor issue I have is I would have to make both sides have some type of raised area. So instead I just want to make it even. Also If I make any changes with the back wall layout I would have to make another raised area. In the picture below you can see the skeleton of the back table and the sink platform. The back wall I was thinking I would do in three parts but since I need to lower the sink I will make it in two parts. The area to the right of the sink is where the third part was going to go. Instead I will have a single platform where the sink and the two water containers will rest on.

20170323_181044 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Unread 03/31/2017, 04:21 PM   #45
Tom39
Registered Member

Henry, if you cover material costs, I will fab and weld you some adjustable legs for the frag tanks and make you a sink support that hangs from the wall which will eliminate the need for legs on the sink.

Unread 04/01/2017, 04:40 PM   #46
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom39 View Post
Henry, if you cover material costs, I will fab and weld you some adjustable legs for the frag tanks and make you a sink support that hangs from the wall which will eliminate the need for legs on the sink.

Tom39 - Tom I will text you for more details on the legs. The sink will be OK because it has the utility pump under it.

04/01/2017
Not much progress today. Things are kinda on hold until I have the guy comes out next week to look at the floor. I have moved the back wall stand out of the fish room so space is kinda tight. I did mange to make the top and bottom parts for stand for the water storage and sink today. I cut the legs as well but did not attach until I follow up with Tom about his adjustable legs idea.

I spoke to Chuck over at Capitol Heights Iron Works about my stand modifications. The price did not go up too much so if you are in Maryland and need some custom work done so far the experience has been great. They are very reasonable price wise. Hopefully next week he will be able to start and I will go by the shop and take some pictures of any progress he has made and post back here.

Unread 05/17/2017, 08:30 PM   #47
nightOwl
Premium Member

So I have been a little behind on updating this thread. Work has been really busy but I hope to get back on track.

General Updates

04/04/2017 - Frag Tank Ordered

I decided that since I was already getting my main display from Miracles I would add a cool frag tank as well. So I measured how wide my back table was and had them build me custom frag tank.

Frag Tank
36x24 w internal 3 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr
04/13/2017 - Uneven Floor and Back Table
So after talking to a few contractors I came to the conclusion that it was not worth the money to have the floor leveled. I can use that money on something else like a cool sump. So the back table that I had nailed and glued together will be taken apart and I will try to reuse the wood where possible. I talked to Tom (Tom39) and we decided I will just measure each leg independently and make the cuts as needed.

I am also going to redesign the area to the left of the sink. I plan on using two vertical 65 gallon tanks. I picked them up this past weekend and they are in the garage so I will try to get some pictures before the weekend but wan to see if they fit.

04/13/2017 - Stand Construction Underway

My good buddy Chuck over at Capitol Heights Iron Works called me to stop by and I went by their shop to see some of their progress. So far this has been a great experience. If any questions come up or he is unclear on something he does not hesitate to call and ask me to stop by. The pictures below are the initial progress. The first two parts of the top are well underway and things are looking good.

Stand Bottom
IMG_0457 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Stand Top
IMG_0454 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Stand Top
IMG_0455 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

04/23/2017 - More Primmer and Paint
For my final coat of drywall primmer I choose some BEHR All in One Primmer Sealer. I used this stuff before and I liked the way it sealed some wood I was painting for my last stand. My good buddy Steve (SPotter) recommended Sherman Williams Water Based Epoxy for the fish room. I decided to use it on the walls matching the existing walls in the house. Eventually It will all flow together and hopefully look like it was part of the house originally.

Primmer
IMG_8740 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Paint
IMG_8752 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

04/29/2017 - Walls Finally Painted
I finally got the walls painted and most of the face plates back on the outlets and the fan grill installed. Minus a few imperfections overall I think things turned out pretty good. I stood back and patted myself on the back and felt pretty proud of the work I have done so far.
Walls finally painted
IMG_8759 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_8760 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Unread 05/17/2017, 08:51 PM   #48
Tom39
Registered Member

Looks great! At this pace, I think that you will finish your build before I finish mine.

Unread 05/17/2017, 09:07 PM   #49
nightOwl
Premium Member

General Updates Continued
04/29/2017 - Floor Etching
While trying to decide on what I wanted to do with the floor I decided to try some concrete stain by BEHR. The stain is a two part mix with a one gallon base and then two smaller quarts to use. Before using the floor has to be etched and cleaned. I tried a dry form of an etching chemical but ended up using straight muriatic acid to really get the job done. I recommend a really good respirator mask (don't try the cheap ones...I almost passed out), open all windows possible, have a fan bringing in fresh air, have a another sprayer filled with a baking soda mixture, and do not have any metal tools around or near the room where you are using the acid. On contact with the concrete the acid creates a yellow cloud and starts fizzing and any metal that the cloud touches will appear to be rusted and it does not come off. I prepped the walls with plastic and went to work and filled my new sprayer with the acid. To stop the acid you need to apply the backing soda mixture to neutralize the acid. Make sure to clean the flow well.

Concrete Stain Base
IMG_8772 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Accent Stain
IMG_8773 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Sacrificial Sprayer
IMG_8761 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Drylok Etch (not really strong)
IMG_8766 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Floors Prepped and Walls Taped
IMG_8777 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_8780 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

04/30/2017 - Updates on Tank

I talked to Derek and asked if there were any updates on the tank and the pictures below are what he sent over. He also mentioned that they were starting on my frag tank so things should start moving along pretty fast.

Tank - 82" x 40" x 26" this baby is gonna be huge
IMG_5497 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_2630 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Unread 05/17/2017, 09:21 PM   #50
nightOwl
Premium Member

General Updates Continued
05/08/2017 - Stand Updates
Chuck gave me a call about the stand and asked me to stop by. He had a question on how I wanted the walk rail attached and if the idea they had about making bracket to hold the walk rail. The pictures below are the current progress and hopefully should not be much longer before they are done. The stand will still need to be primed and I think I will have them use some Rust-Oleum Black Hammer paint. I am not sure if I will need to add a protective layer over top of it but I liked the look on a sample piece of metal they showed me. The stand will be screwed together once everything is in place. They still have to make the leveling feet, drill holes in the gussets, and finish the walk rail but things are coming along pretty good.

Top of Stand with Walk Rail Sleeve
IMG_8784 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Walk Rail Sleeve
IMG_8785 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Bottom of Stand
IMG_8786 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

I will try to make some more updates tomorrow. I need to charge the camera battery and get some pictures of the floor in its current state.