Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/31/2017, 11:47 PM   #1
BowedFloor
Registered Member

Maxspect Gyre XF280 review

So I have a 8ft long tank, and originally flow was provided by 2 of the original gyres (XF130?), 4 MP40's and my returns.

I swapped out the two original gyres for the XF280's. I don't think I have any need for the mp40's anymore.

The XF280's seem to support several modes, from working in tandem, to steady flow, to random flow. They also support configuring ramping up/down times and duration. There is also a mode called 'Ocean Current Gyre?) which I guess mimics something the engineers figure happens in select areas of the ocean.

There is a SD card slot on the controller, allowing you to do stuff?

The controller initially required me to read the manual to figure out how to switch between modes, and how to configure/save things. However the learning curve on this unit is very low and once I figured it out (Short press to configure, long press to switch modes, click wheel to toggle stuff, spin wheel to change values) its really easy to go back in and play with settings.

The quality of the unit was typical cheap china crap. The blades seem to spin freely, and they operate properly. One of my power connectors was obviously damaged (squished, and pins were bent) however with a little bit of finessing I was able to connect the second pump to the controller.

I like how the controller has locking/waterproof connectors for the pump lines, but dislike how the power adapters connect to the controller. I found them to be questionable at best, and they easily fall out if tugged on. However if you were to properly mount the unit, and zip tie up your wires, it wouldn't be an issue.

I am *VERY* impressed with the amount of water these units move. I briefly ran mine at 100% about 6" below the waters surface, and it was splashing nicely. I am currently running the gyres in tandem, at 70%, and am happy with things. Initially when I first ran the unit my tank pretty much fogged out from all the detritus and other crap that got knocked loose. I can see my fish playing in the current now, and my puffer seems to absolutely love the extra flow.

https://youtu.be/Hp83kyJmdxo This is it running at 100% for fun, you can see the amount of garbage being stirred up. Apologies for the potato cam.

I think 2x xf280's might be slightly overkill, and two 230's might be perfect. One xf280 wasn't giving me the desired results and the second one worked out just right.

I would recommend this product to others, And would recommend using the expensive controller maxspect makes. It's stupid easy to swap between modes and change things. I can only imagine the headache programming it in a apex would be.

Finally, one thing that I REALLY dislike, is that these pumps CANNOT be used without a controller. you *MUST* purchase either the maxspect one, or one for the apex if it exists for the 200 series gyres. There is no way to connect the pump directly to the power supply for it to run. I think for a $400 pump, it should be able to function on its own, and not require you to buy the $700 pump/controller combo first.

BowedFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2017, 07:55 AM   #2
AZRippster
Diver & Reef Aquarium Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowedFloor View Post

There is a SD card slot on the controller, allowing you to do stuff?

I like how the controller has locking/waterproof connectors for the pump lines, but dislike how the power adapters connect to the controller. I found them to be questionable at best, and they easily fall out if tugged on. However if you were to properly mount the unit, and zip tie up your wires, it wouldn't be an issue.
I purchased my set of XF280's pretty much right after release date so I've dealt with some of the initial problems.

#1 - The SD Card slot allows for firmware updates/upgrades. I've had to update mine 3 times since purchase to correct software "bugs". CoralVue has been very helpful in providing the updated firmware.

#2 - Sounds like you haven't seen or heard of the hairdryer trick. Yes, the power cords fall out easily. It's because they are ridiculously tight to the point of a person being afraid of pushing them in any harder. You need to warm them up good with a hairdryer to soften the rubberized/plastic housing material and then push them together. They will then go and you'll feel a "pop" or "click" letting you know they have actually seated. After that the material will cool and remain in a functional state. CoralVue release a video on this, you might wanna take a look for better detail.

I run my two on an 8' tank at 60% and have been very happy. Cleaning them is a bit of a PITA, but you get better at it. I'm hoping CoralVue does a servicing video on the XF280 as they are different from the other pumps, primarily explaining the motor disassembly/assembly.

AZRippster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2017, 08:34 AM   #3
mickey204
Registered Member

I just picked up 2 - XF 250's with a controller and reinforcement magnets, cant really test them yet, but they look pretty good.

Totally get where you're coming from with the build quality. Even my brand new controller had scuff marks on the glossy section.

My 420 gallon reaches 6.5' long so I'm hoping 2 of these beside each other will have enough juice to reach the other side.

They said the magnets are capable of being submerged and they'll be going in my overflow, so hopefully even with extra magnets (reinforcement) they won't rust. Which unfortunately I was reading a bit about the other day.

mickey204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2017, 10:08 AM   #4
RegalAngel
Registered Member

I have an 8' long peninsula tank and have a 250 mounted at the far end.
Not running yet, but sounds interesting in that it will compliment my three closed loop returns at the bottom of the tank.

Now to figure out the controller.... lol

RegalAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2017, 12:53 PM   #5
ReapWhatYouSow
Registered Member

I have a 6ft tank with 1 150xf currently.
I want to get a 250 with the controller and use the alternating mode.
What do you think of the controller modes?

ReapWhatYouSow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2017, 10:12 PM   #6
Lost1130
Registered Member

I have 2 250xf in my 150 on ltc mode set at 100% max have a mix reef all my corals love it LPS ,sps and softies

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Lost1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2017, 03:00 PM   #7
DasCamel
Registered Member

I'm running two on an 8 ft peninsula. Works great from just one end with two xf 280.

Having issues with one of them, not working and trying to clean/ fix it. Anyone know how to take the internal/middle apart?

Current Tank Info: 375g Build thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2608197
DasCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2017, 09:16 PM   #8
AZRippster
Diver & Reef Aquarium Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasCamel View Post
I'm running two on an 8 ft peninsula. Works great from just one end with two xf 280.

Having issues with one of them, not working and trying to clean/ fix it. Anyone know how to take the internal/middle apart?
I haven't seen a video on the XF280 disassembly as I have the other gyres by Maxspect. I would like to know as well. I've cleaned mine several times, but never the motor area completely as I'm a bit nervous. Hopefully Coralvue does something on it soon like they have other gyres.

AZRippster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2017, 12:26 AM   #9
bif24701
Registered Member

Maxspect Gyre XF280 review

I am seriously considering getting one or two of these to replace my MP60. The MP60 has great flow but it doesn't reach the other side of my 6' tank.

Anyone had an MP60/40 before getting one of these? Would like to hear about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2017, 09:34 AM   #10
huseMN
Registered Member

I have one xf280 on my 300 and the flow is great but boy are they loud! Any suggestions on quieting them down? Also, does anyone know what other gyre pumps I can attach to this controller? Could I add a xf 230 or 250 or does it have to be another 280.

huseMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2017, 10:56 AM   #11
RegalAngel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalAngel View Post
I have an 8' long peninsula tank and have a 250 mounted at the far end.
Not running yet, but sounds interesting in that it will compliment my three closed loop returns at the bottom of the tank.

Now to figure out the controller.... lol

Been running it since Feb and no issues....works great. Setup on Random....love it!

RegalAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2017, 04:55 PM   #12
Mishri
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huseMN View Post
I have one xf280 on my 300 and the flow is great but boy are they loud! Any suggestions on quieting them down? Also, does anyone know what other gyre pumps I can attach to this controller? Could I add a xf 230 or 250 or does it have to be another 280.
don't run it at max speed?

I'm not sure if you can mix or match.. i thought I read you could somewhere but having trouble finding that info now.

2 pumps is ideal, I ran 1 on 2 of my aquariums, then shut one down to run 2 on one and I like the flow and everything better, these were xf130s on smaller tanks.. looking forward to playing with my xf250s on the 300 gallon.

-also my advice to everyone is don't take apart the gyre for cleaning. use small brushes, run under hot water, don't worry about getting every little bit out of it. less cleaning = longer life on the bits and pieces and less rattling/noise. I've been running my xf130s for 2 years now. One of them I haven't cleaned in a year.

Unread 11/05/2017, 02:47 PM   #13
DasCamel
Registered Member

Yeah, can't take apart the motor on xf280. After a year they work fine. Good to know about the hair dryer trick on the connectors. I taped mine out of frustration.

Cleaning both of mine right now, one of them for the first time. Anyway, great flow, just keep them clean.

Current Tank Info: 375g Build thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2608197
DasCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 12:58 AM   #14
zachrabbit15
Registered Member

Question for everyone that has two on 8ft tanks. Are you running both on one end of the tank or one on each end?
My tank is 96x30x30 and I was thinking of running 4 250s. Two on each end and alternating them every 6 hours(right two on/left two off and than reverse). I would prefer to run just the Gure plus my return for flow.

zachrabbit15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 02:54 PM   #15
Jeramirez85
Registered Member

Bought one 250 for my 120. Really happy with the water movement currently have it at 30%. Once I get sps in there I’ll bump it up

Jeramirez85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 08:29 AM   #16
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Have the XF250 for a 150 5' sps tank. Will run it at 60-70%. If I could do it again, would go with the XF180 at lower % and wider flow. Great pump though. My only complaint is the controller is not that great IMO,and the Icecap Apex module only handles one pump which isnt enough for the money