Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/08/2018, 10:41 AM   #9951
tlc
Registered Member

i dont know if this has been discussed yet so i apologize in advance. i have only skimmed through this thread. i am considering a uv sterilizer for my system. about 2 weeks ago i added a very poorly made cheap ats to my system. to my surprise its starting to seed and fill out. does anyone run a uv sterilizer with an ats ? i am concerned the sterilizer might kill the algae growing

tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 12:00 PM   #9952
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

UV will not affect algae growth. UV will only kill anything in the water column that passes through it, and only will do so fully in a single pass if the water is running slow enough to allow proper contact time.

Nutrients are not affected by UV.

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 03:23 PM   #9953
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Ironically a UV can increase nutrients, by killing phyto and pods in the water column. Not much though, because most people don't have much in the water because of mechanical filters.

Unread 02/11/2018, 07:26 PM   #9954
biecacka
Registered Member

glad to hear it is the L3. incase i want to ever feed more.

corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 05:48 PM   #9955
ali1
Registered Member

Anyone got any ideas on how to better hang these light fixtures? That long pvc makes maintenance difficult

Attached Images
File Type: jpg C0A46B17-1C1D-4C19-9151-1B130712D7D5.jpg (57.3 KB, 94 views)

"I'm totally frustrated by this disease. My display has been fallow for 2 months now. If ich happened to mysteriously appear again, I'm giving up and going back to African Cichilds."
ali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 11:03 PM   #9956
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Why a pain... looks like you just slide them out of the way.

Unread 02/18/2018, 09:17 AM   #9957
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali1 View Post
Anyone got any ideas on how to better hang these light fixtures? That long pvc makes maintenance difficult
If anything, the first thing I would do would be to add a T to each end of both legs, then a street 90 and another small section of pipe into each end of each tee. That will keep it from falling into your sump when you breath on it lol....because that's what it looks like right now!!

Other than that, I agree with Bryan, looks like you can just slide it out of the way.

An afterthought, you might use some larger diameter pipe to give it rigidity. Or make a frame out of 2x4s

Unread 03/05/2018, 06:46 PM   #9958
tlc
Registered Member

i dont know if this has been discussed yet. pardon me if it has. i just built a water fall type scrubber that will be placed in my sump. is salt spray a huge concern ? its a open style waterfall for now.

tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2018, 07:29 PM   #9959
biecacka
Registered Member

Yes salt can be an issue. I'm not sure how to prevent it but I've heard ppl use plastic wrap, but I don't know more than that!

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2018, 10:37 PM   #9960
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Depends what you mean by spray. New waterfalls sometimes spray/push water to the end of the slot until they fill in with growth.

Unread 04/14/2018, 03:16 PM   #9961
hkgar
Registered Member

What's happened?

I have been growing Algae wit an ATS for a couple years or more and just a couple weeks ago was getting 260+ grams per week. Now virtually nothing. Here is a picture of the screen and the lights.

The screen is 9.5x8 inches and the lighting is 21 3 watt deep red per side and water flow is about 350 gph. The lighting period was 18 hrs. I reduced it to 12 today.

I was lighting with 2 all red strips (14 led's) and one strip with 2 blue 1 white and 4 red per side. The red's were doing great and the mixed not so much so I ordered the all reds. And even before I changed them out the red side start to diminish in growth.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2018, 11:46 PM   #9962
homer1475
Registered Member

While I'm certainly no expert, and my ATS has only been running a few months. I would say from reading back that looks to be photo saturation to me

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2018, 04:34 PM   #9963
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Gary, did anything in your system change? Feeding, livestock, nutrient levels, anything at all?

Offhand I would agree with homer that it looks like photosaturation but that doesn't make sense given that it's not a new screen/system. So that's why I asked the question.

my guess is that some nutrient bottomed out or is limiting things and that caused growth to stifle. You might check potassium. You can always add that no matter what, because most scrubbers suck them down. You can try adding iron also. These would just be troubleshooting steps to see if one thing kicks it back in gear.

You could also try to decrease intensity, maybe wire a couple of those arrays in parallel to put them to 50% (or even 3-way parallel for 33%) and then go back to the longer hours. Or a diffuser. If you have a limiting situation, keeping intensity the same and lowering duration may not help because it's an instantaneous thing - the light is too intense so no matter what the duration, the photosaturation (or whatever is happening) is happening instantly, not due to duration. If that makes sense.

Either way, clear off the slime. It's possible that got a foothold because of some other condition in the tank, and pushed the GHA out of the way. To get it back in there, you would need to think like you are starting over, and then intensity is definitely a factor.

So with all that said, I would find a way to lower intensity, I think you have to do that no matter what the root cause of the problem is.

Unread 04/16/2018, 12:49 PM   #9964
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Looks like growth got so heavy the roots died and detached. Common for waterfalls.

Unread 04/16/2018, 01:58 PM   #9965
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
Gary, did anything in your system change? Feeding, livestock, nutrient levels, anything at all?

Offhand I would agree with homer that it looks like photosaturation but that doesn't make sense given that it's not a new screen/system. So that's why I asked the question.

my guess is that some nutrient bottomed out or is limiting things and that caused growth to stifle. You might check potassium. You can always add that no matter what, because most scrubbers suck them down. You can try adding iron also. These would just be troubleshooting steps to see if one thing kicks it back in gear.

You could also try to decrease intensity, maybe wire a couple of those arrays in parallel to put them to 50% (or even 3-way parallel for 33%) and then go back to the longer hours. Or a diffuser. If you have a limiting situation, keeping intensity the same and lowering duration may not help because it's an instantaneous thing - the light is too intense so no matter what the duration, the photosaturation (or whatever is happening) is happening instantly, not due to duration. If that makes sense.

Either way, clear off the slime. It's possible that got a foothold because of some other condition in the tank, and pushed the GHA out of the way. To get it back in there, you would need to think like you are starting over, and then intensity is definitely a factor.

So with all that said, I would find a way to lower intensity, I think you have to do that no matter what the root cause of the problem is.
There have been no significant changes in anything about the tank in the lst few weeks. NO3 runs between s and 10 but was 2 yesterday. PO4 runs about .05.

I checked Potassium and it is 400-410.

I am not sure what you mean by wiring the lights in parallel. I am using the 3 drivers that came with the lights from Steve's LED's and each driver powers 14 of the led's. Link to drivers. I believe they are wired in Parallel, but not sure. Red wire goes to positive on light 1 then from negative on light 1 to positive on light 2 and black wire is to negative on light 2. Maybe that is in series? Should the re be split to go to both positives and the black split to go to both negatives?

Not sure how to difuse the light. Someone said a piece of Scotch tape over each LED would lower the intensity?

I actually started using 6700K cfl and still have them. Maybe going back to them until it begins to regenerates?

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels

Last edited by hkgar; 04/16/2018 at 02:06 PM.
Unread 04/16/2018, 02:04 PM   #9966
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

No tape over the LEDs - don't touch the domes over the chips at all, that can damage them

You are wired in series.

Parallel would be Driver (+) connected to the LED board (+) of both boards via a splitter (or a wire nut connecting the driver wire to the two board wires) and then the same back to the driver from the (-) terminals. This in effect would split the current between the two boards evenly.

You will want to double-check with Steve's to make sure that will work with that driver/board combo. If the driver works with just 1 board and doesn't require 2 boards to work right, then it will work because running 2 boards in parallel is the same as just running 1 board by itself.

Unread 04/18/2018, 05:34 PM   #9967
LeJeune981
Registered Member

My scrubber has been working great.. but my air tubing keeps getting clogged.. the the seems to grab onto the hole and grow..theb clogs it...any way to prevent this?

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

LeJeune981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2018, 06:51 PM   #9968
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Soak in vinegar.

Unread 04/20/2018, 12:02 AM   #9969
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
Looks like growth got so heavy the roots died and detached. Common for waterfalls.
whats happened to hkgar's screen is not common at all in my opinion.
I've never had a screen, or seen another screen go off like that.

It looks like it was cleaned and put back into the scrubber under full lights without waterflow. Its exactly how screens look when their no longer used & left in the sun for days. The remaining algae dies & turns to yellow gunk.

hgar's screen has two large areas that look like photo-inhibition has occured, while the top & the bottom are healthy.

Scrubber_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2018, 12:50 PM   #9970
hkgar
Registered Member

[QUOTE=Twinfallz;25419521]
It looks like it was cleaned and put back into the scrubber under full lights without waterflow. Its exactly how screens look when their no longer used & left in the sun for days. The remaining algae dies & turns to yellow gunk.

The lights and the pump are controlled by Apex and if the pump is off the lights are programmed to be off. I us a virtual outlet to control the on off time for the lights:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 22:00 to 10:00 Then ON
If Output ATSPump = OFF Then OFF

Unread 04/20/2018, 01:07 PM   #9971
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Wait...you shut off your pump?

Unread 04/20/2018, 01:47 PM   #9972
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
Wait...you shut off your pump?
Only when taking out the screen for cleaning. Oops, 1 exception: also all pumps shut off if a leak is detected.

Unread 04/21/2018, 06:48 AM   #9973
sensei
Registered Member

would this reflect be good for growing algae??
Feit Electric PAR38/R/10KLED PAR38 Non-Dimmable LED Light Bulb, Red
feit.jpg

Thanks a lot

Unread 04/21/2018, 09:16 AM   #9974
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

So finally have moved in the new house and am putting the system together. Here are some pics of the acrylic algae scrubber I made. Read lots here for guidance. Feel free to criticize and give input to hopefully help me make it better.

Screen, splash shield, base, all comes appart for maintenance/cleaning

Screen is 12” wide X 8” tall.. At 35 gal per inch, this pump should work

Scrubber leds from Expressions LTD.

Added two more led bars to the box. Three led bars per side. The bars are 12”, same width of the screen

Last edited by ReefCowboy; 04/21/2018 at 09:43 AM.
ReefCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 04:47 AM   #9975
Crusinjimbo
Registered Member

Sweet! I have had 4 Expression LED bars in use for 4+ years, good choice. Following

13.5G EVO
Crusinjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote