Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/30/2008, 11:23 AM   #1
b.branscombe
Registered Member

Exclamation HELP NEEDED - Auto Top-Off Malfunction, SG 1.014

Hi folks, at some point my auto top-off unit decided to become simply a top-off unit. This happened at some point last night, and due to exams I was writing this morning, I didn't notice it until just now when I came home. The tank is a 220g reef.

I'll worry about the water damage later, right now my main concern is the tank itself. Everyone is looking fine at the moment, but the specific gravity has dropped to 1.014. I will be taking water from the tank, hypersalinating it, and returning it, but I don't want to change the salinity too quickly as this will do more damage than the prolonged exposure to low salinity levels.

At what rate should I increase salinity back to normal to avoid killing all the inhabitants from salt shock?

Thank you.

b.branscombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2008, 11:31 AM   #2
xtm
Registered Member

I would do 0.05 about every three hours until you get to 1.025.

1.014 isn't too low.

Current Tank Info: 120g SPS Tank (48x24x24)
xtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2008, 11:32 AM   #3
Savas
Registered Member

I read somewhere this summer that .07 is the recommended salinity increase per day, unless you have an emergency. I beleive the article also said too much is worse than too litttle, so you should be fine.

Current Tank Info: 24 gallon Aquapod Nanotuners 4.32 T-5 lighting upgrade; 24 gallon Aquapod with stock power compacts and actinic lighting; 12 gallon Aquapod with stock power compacts and actinic lighting.
Savas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2008, 02:47 PM   #4
b.branscombe
Registered Member

Thanks for the help guys. Everyone in the tank still looks fine, so I'm not as worried.

b.branscombe is offline   Reply With Quote