Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/04/2011, 09:23 AM   #1
waverz
Slave to the reef!

New apex user wanting to setup multiple tanks...

I have been using Aqua Controllers for several years now and was recently asked by a friend to help setup his fish room on a single Apex controller. One system is fish only so would mainly be using for the controller for heaters and lights. The other system consists of a few table top style grow out tanks that will need much more control. To start it will control, heat, lights, kalk stirrer, and CA reactor.

I am assuming in order to hook them both up to one Apex controller I could put the main unit on the grow out system and then perhaps use an "aquabus" cable to a PM1 to control the fish system. The 2 systems are about 75' feet away from each other so I was thinking about using CAT6 with usb adapters for the cable.

Being I don't actually own an Apex I am still a little lost on how the 2 systems will be separated via the web interface. At this point I just want to make sure I am using the right equipment to do it properly.

I have read through Alan's "unofficial" guide and it has helped me greatly but I just wanted to get a second opinion before I start ordering equipment.

Thanks!

Current Tank Info: 60 gallon Marineland Cube
waverz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2011, 09:51 AM   #2
RussM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waverz View Post
I was thinking about using CAT6 with usb adapters for the cable.
Nope won't work. Those are active devices... powered by the USB port (5VDC). AquaBus has 12VDC. AquaBus is not USB - it just uses the same physical connections.

Best bet is to order a custom length USB A male-male cable. www.usbfirewire.com is one source of custom cables... a 75' cable will cost $50. If you do go this route, just call them, tell them you want a custom cable for the Apex - they know exactly what you are talking about.

Another option is to use a couple of 15' USB2.0-A extender cables. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Cables must be just plain cables... if they have repeaters or are desctbes as "active", they won't work.

RussM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2011, 10:14 AM   #3
waverz
Slave to the reef!

These don't appear to be active and are super cheap. I could be wrong.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3V6BK4D0HKA8F

Besides the cable, do you think just using a PM1 and a few EB8's to control the other systems lights and heaters will be adequate ?

Unread 07/04/2011, 10:28 AM   #4
RussM
Registered Member

In the description, it discusses using a powered USB hub in conjunction with the adapters. They are active devices.

RussM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2011, 01:00 PM   #5
aquamanic
WHO DAT??

To answer your second question, absolutely yes, that's the right way to do it. A single system can support many, many modules. You just need to run the long-haul AB cable to the first remote module. From there, you can use short USB lengths to hit the other remote modules.

And heed Russ's advice - you will blow up your controller if you put powered USB on it.

Unread 07/04/2011, 02:24 PM   #6
waverz
Slave to the reef!

Now I am really glad I asked here before ordering this stuff and hooking it all up. I'm in a bit of a time crunch so I will probably go with the 15' cables from monoprice just because I can have them tomorrow.

I really appreciate all the help. I also GREATLY APPRECIATE your guide Alan! It amazes me that these things can do so much.

Thanks again!

Unread 07/04/2011, 05:14 PM   #7
bvoss
Registered Member

I am expanding my system as well, but remember, when you hit 56 outlets, you have to Call tech support to turn on more.

bvoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2011, 05:48 PM   #8
waverz
Slave to the reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvoss View Post
I am expanding my system as well, but remember, when you hit 56 outlets, you have to Call tech support to turn on more.
Didn't know that. Thanks for the tip. M y luck, I probably would have setup 57 and pulled my hair out trying to figure out why the last one wouldn't work.