Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/19/2013, 11:45 AM   #1
mkoop
Registered Member

Ordering my first tank

Hi everyone,

I have spent the last few months researching and the last few days reading the stickies around the forums here.

I have come to the determination that my first tank will be a 180g 72x24x24 from AGA.

The lady and I have one thing each that we both really would love to have in this tank, she would like some clown fish, I would like an eel.

That being said, I dont plan to introduce a whole lot until several months from now, as I have read again and again I want to get the tank set up and running properly first.

Anyway, on to my question ( I apologize I'm a bit excited as we actually plan to order the tank today and start the building process) -

I think we have decided on a pre-drilled tank as opposed to having everything hang on the top. When looking at some of the pre drilled tanks it seems like we will have 2 locations on the tank -

Is there any difference between them being along the back vs in the corners etc? Or is it simply personal preference dependent on where the tank will reside in my home?

mkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2013, 12:09 PM   #2
fishgate
Registered Member

I just got a 125 with mega-flows. That is the two in the back. If I had to do it again I would have gone with corner-flows. Mostly because I would have a larger back wall to create my rock-wall structure. With the mega-flows they break up the structure.

120g in-wall, 40B Sump, PC 54wx4, Jabao DC-6000 (full siphon), future seahorse t

Current Tank Info: 125g, 120g, 2x40b sumps, ATI 4x80 T5HO
fishgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2013, 04:38 PM   #3
julie180
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgate View Post
i just got a 125 with mega-flows. That is the two in the back. If i had to do it again i would have gone with corner-flows. Mostly because i would have a larger back wall to create my rock-wall structure. With the mega-flows they break up the structure.
+1

julie180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2013, 04:44 PM   #4
A_Z
Registered Member

For an eel I would recommend a golden dwarf moray, that probably wouldn't eat the clownfish.

A_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2013, 06:52 PM   #5
Mark Bianco
In Memoriam

I have had both corner and center overflows. Since the tank is viewable from three sides I like to have the whole sides veiwable as much as possible. To me its much easier to aquascape and hide the center overflows. Now I have no proof and there would not be any reason why that I know of, but the tank with center overflows seems to stay cleaner. The other reason I like the center overflows is that I use Tunze powerheads on the back wall right at the corners.

FYI don't make the mistake I made when buying an eel No ell unless you have a tight fitting lid. ell's like to climb out,

Mark

Mark Bianco is offline   Reply With Quote