Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/28/2017, 09:15 AM   #1226
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
FYI Mr. Wilson I was able to download your entire main bucket just now. If you want I can upload it to my server and give you a download link to the zip file it's only 152M lol
Great work!

Yes, please send me a link to the zip file. Storage was an issue 10 years ago when I started using PB, but now disk space is never an issue.

Now we just need a RC admin to go through the whole thread and make new links for each image

mr.wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2017, 09:42 AM   #1227
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Right! Probably not likely to happen, but it would be nice...there was a vB mod for converting hotlinked images to server-hosted attachments, but not for 3.8 unfortunately. It could probably be custom-modified to make it work, but not sure on that even. I know other platforms have that capability, but with Big Boards it takes a lot of time to perform that operation. But, for posterity, I think it would be worth it.

File is uploaded, I'll PM you the link

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2018, 09:48 AM   #1228
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Well, I have a happy ending to the sad story of Peter's tank blowout. Peter is taking a break from the hobby to surface for some air. The epic tank build consumed the first five years of his retirement, which was a very healthy transition for the accomplished businessman and over-achiever. Peter & Judy & Molly have had a great break together, but he does miss you all.

Peter has graciously donated the tank and support equipment to my new retail store where it will have a second life. We were able to cut the tank down from a 24' long L, to a manageable 13' long rectangular tank. We hope to do Peter's legacy justice in its new home as our reef show tank.

So out of the ashes, the Phoenix rises. The new name for the tank is "Phoenix", as it is reborn. While the tank isn't ready to retire and move to Arizona yet, it will be well cared for in Niagara's wine region, here in Canada. Peter has promised to stop and visit Phoenix while on his routine wine route through our scenic countryside. He will get a chance to see his baby without having to roll up his sleeves. Of course we get him to feed the fish ceremoniously before he drives home with a Bentley full of Niagara's finest wines.

Here are some pics of me cutting the tank down. The sawsall cut through the 1.5" acrylic much easier than I had intended. We had one leak during the process, the city-provided main shut off for his water is located under the tank of all places. The valve was old and corroded, so it refused to give up its duty and allowed a trickle to pass thorough. A very nice city worker came out and shut the water down from the road to fix it. Hopefully Peter will post a pic of his new premium valve. We fit the tank in our 24' long trailer. We used a scissor jack cart to lower the tank and 1" PVC pipes to roll it onto the cart. Huge thanks to Jamie Grimm and his crew for the hard work and bright ideas. We bought some pneumatic flat dollies to move the tank up Peter's hill at the side of the house, then with a combination of manpower and an electric winch, we pushed and pulled the tank into the trailer. We never found out the weight of the tank, but it's got to be 1000lbs for the remaining 13' rectangle. Six people were able to move it through leverage though. There has to be a lesson in there somewhere

Before
11043226_1566738423608039_4770557896510081309_o.jpg

Unread 02/04/2018, 09:50 AM   #1229
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

After
IMG_0464.jpg

Unread 02/04/2018, 09:54 AM   #1230
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

During
IMG_0451.jpg

Unread 02/04/2018, 09:55 AM   #1231
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

IMG_0449.jpg

Unread 02/04/2018, 10:06 AM   #1232
reefwiser
Registered Member

Great to hear that the tank will be reborn. It was such a wonderful tank. Good luck on the re start and keep us updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

September 23rd,2017 11 am till 3pm
Saint Thomas Fellowship hall,9616 Westport Road,Louisvi
reefwiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2018, 10:20 AM   #1233
nineball
Registered Member

Thanks Mr. Wilson.......for an incredible journey and for the classy epilogue! I miss the tank and the community that went with it but life moves on. I seriously considered continuing on with another tank but I realized that I didn't want to spend the next 5 years of my life getting back to where I was so I planned something even more elaborate. I could see how quickly that was going to escalate into something waaaay beyond a retirement project so I decided to pack it in.

Its been almost two years to the day now and the challenge I have is trying to figure out what to do with the space vacated by the tank. Tomorrow I have the original architect who suggested the aquarium in the first place coming by to help figure out what to do next. I have finally accepted that there really isn't any equivalent function or impact that will match Peter's Fish Tank.......or the community that surrounded it here on the forum. I'll just have to see what comes in the near future.....

I would like to recognize the incredible success you had with the managing of the tank removal. I never thought your immeasurable knowledge and skills with aquarium builds would be matched with the removal but I should know by now that this is truly your world without any peers to challenge that! Thanks Mr. Wilson I'm looking forward to your next chapter........

By the way I did manage to scrape a fully intact copy of the thread with all the photos and dialogue in place so I have a diary of the 5 years well spent and the incredible memories to boot.

Peter

Current Tank Info: SW mixed reef 1350 gal in progress
nineball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2018, 10:39 AM   #1234
dallasg
Reefing from South Africa

A great ending and journey, glad I could follow from Africa! Truel an inspirational tank!
Mr Wilson link to your website and hopefully there will be a webcam

Reefing in Southern Africa!
dallasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2018, 11:08 AM   #1235
notclear
Registered Member

Thanks for the updates!

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Unread 02/04/2018, 12:54 PM   #1236
Elliott
Registered Member

very nice! glad to hear about the tank's rebirth, and in good hands!

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2018, 03:40 PM   #1237
joshbrookkate
Registered Member

Nice to see this update

joshbrookkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2018, 05:04 PM   #1238
chamjack
Registered Member

I loved this tank! Really glad to hear that it’s going to be redone. Hope to follow a new ‘Phoenix’ build soon.

Current Tank Info: 125 mixed reef
chamjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2018, 05:07 PM   #1239
dabob79
Registered Member

Wow, so glad to see this equipment move on into another amazing project! Thanks for the update!

Current Tank Info: Marineland 93 gallon rimless cube, Radion LED/T5 Combo, Eshopps sump, Nyos skimmer, Apex controller
dabob79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2018, 05:09 PM   #1240
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

@mr.wilson make sure to link us to the new build thread when you have one up!!

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2018, 12:41 AM   #1241
Taipan
Registered Member

Thumbs up Cheers.....

Finally.....Mr. Wilson has mentioned his Niagara initiative! I don't have to play "dumb" anymore (I can just look the part).

Thanks to both Peter & Mr. Wilson for a great adventure.

Looking forward to a new chapter!

Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2018, 01:14 AM   #1242
dave.m
Registered Member

Bye!

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2018, 01:31 AM   #1243
Ginu
Registered Member

Good to hear the tank is not retiring, great news, although I'm not going to lie, I would have loved a peter tank 2 journey.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2018, 04:23 PM   #1244
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Wow! So sad to see this tank died. I have been following since 2011 and have been blown away by scale and detail in this tank. So sorry for your loss and I hope to see back at it with another reef tank. Very happy to see that the tank is being reborn again and have a new life. The ATM issue makes me sick. They have that silly TV show and claim to be the best but wont stand by their product in the event of a total failure. Its not just the cost cost of the failed tank, it the lives of all the living animals inside, it the lives of the people that own the tank, its all the damage dont by the water, its your life being thrown into total disarray.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 06:51 AM   #1245
tripdad
Frustrated Stick Gardener

To Peter and Mr. Wilson, Thank you for the ride! It was a wonderful tank and your sharing of the experience was top notch. I learned a lot from both of you that I can apply to my meager 65 gal. effort. Peter, all the best in your next chapter. Mr Wilson, I can't wait for the new thread!

Current tank: 65 gal DSA rimless, mixed reef, 20 gal sump, T5 6bulb, big skimmer, 40B Fowler, 20 gal sump, 4 bulb T5
tripdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 08:11 PM   #1246
SaraB
Coral Killer

Very glad to see the Phoenix will live on!

I think of you Peter every time I see ice wine or a Bentley! It was awesome following your journey and being able to see it in person!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 03/17/2018, 11:42 AM   #1247
vikinglord13
Registered Member

Good news! That's one of the first mega tanks I came across on youtube and couldn't wait to get into the hobby. I'm glad it will live on in spirit of the juvenile, and in a copy of the old thread, with pictures!

vikinglord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2020, 06:47 PM   #1248
Ncfishguy
Registered Member

Any more updates on this tank from the new owner

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ncfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2020, 09:09 AM   #1249
ReefingFriend
Registered Member

Updates?

ReefingFriend is offline   Reply With Quote