Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/09/2012, 08:24 PM   #51
Merfin70
Registered Member

Mine is just a little baby and an impulse purchase (cheap) from the local fish store. It has baby blue tips. I have noticed recently that it is getting brown blotches lower down on the tentacles. Any of the more experienced owners have an opinion to offer on why ? So far the tentacles are keeping the baby blue tips. I was worried about my clown given how big he is compared to the nem but so far, the nem seems to be doing OK with her.

5 Weeks Ago

3 Weeks Ago - Moved Up the Rock a Bit

Today. See the Brown Splotches in the Tentacles

Current Tank: Jan 2010, Custom Cadlights 65g Starfire Shallow Rimless (36"x24"x17") with 24g Sump, ATI Sunpower 6x39w, Aquamaxx ConeS CO 1, Vortech MP40 + MP10, Return Eheim 1260
Merfin70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2012, 08:35 PM   #52
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merfin70 View Post
Mine is just a little baby and an impulse purchase (cheap) from the local fish store. It has baby blue tips. I have noticed recently that it is getting brown blotches lower down on the tentacles. Any of the more experienced owners have an opinion to offer on why ? ....
George,
What you see there is the zooxanthellae population start to come back. Your anemone was bleached and lost much of it's zooxanthellae. It is healthier now and should continue to recover. It will be browner but hopefully the brown will not mask the beautiful blue color of the tentacle tips. You can see the color change of my anemone. Expect similar coloration changes with your's.
Feed him and he will grow fast for you until the size that you want to keep him. Stop feeding him regularly at that time and his grow will slow down for you.
You are very lucky to find a beautiful healthy Gigantea for "cheap". Good luck with him.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2012, 09:14 PM   #53
Merfin70
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
George,
What you see there is the zooxanthellae population start to come back. Your anemone was bleached and lost much of it's zooxanthellae. It is healthier now and should continue to recover. It will be browner but hopefully the brown will not mask the beautiful blue color of the tentacle tips. You can see the color change of my anemone. Expect similar coloration changes with your's.
Feed him and he will grow fast for you until the size that you want to keep him. Stop feeding him regularly at that time and his grow will slow down for you.
You are very lucky to find a beautiful healthy Gigantea for "cheap". Good luck with him.
Thanks Minh. I thought that was what was happening. I've been keeping him well fed on Shrimp and saved some Red Snapper from tonight's dinner for him. Good thing for me the LFS didn't actually know what their "misc Carpet" actually should be worth. Seems like yours has kept the purple tips quite nicely so I have hope that mine will do the same with the blue. I know at only 6 week in my tank, I have a long way to go but I have nothing but time.

Current Tank: Jan 2010, Custom Cadlights 65g Starfire Shallow Rimless (36"x24"x17") with 24g Sump, ATI Sunpower 6x39w, Aquamaxx ConeS CO 1, Vortech MP40 + MP10, Return Eheim 1260
Merfin70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2012, 07:46 PM   #54
Woogiekids
Registered Member

Here's mine with his new phantom buddies.

When I first got it, rather yellow (and hosting Spotcinctus clowns) Darkening up to pure brown as the months go on.

Now:

Woogiekids is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2012, 10:47 AM   #55
schprock
Premium Member

Blue gigantea still kicking around. Have not deflated so far. Eating rods food mixed with mysis soaked in extracted garlic and amino acid. The anemone initially did not like the taste of garlic and spits out the frozen food - now it eats more garlic than a pregnant female.

Week 2

Week 3 - tentacles are elongating compared to first week

schprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2012, 11:21 AM   #56
OrionN
Moved on

Very nice. Do you see any color coming back yet? If you know other people who keep Gigantea, you may want to do a Zooxanthellae. Feed it food with a tentacle or two of a healthy Gigantea. If he is completely bleached, this may help him recover.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 09/22/2012, 11:23 AM   #57
OrionN
Moved on

My new yellow Gigantea, in my tank for a few days.

And my Purple Gigantea pictured today

Unread 09/22/2012, 12:01 PM   #58
schprock
Premium Member

The base may seem a bit browner or this could just be my imagination. I have a small brown anemone on the other side of the rock as well. I could cut a brown tentacle off and feed the blue but then I may end up with two brown anemones.

The brown anemone was actually on a different rock across the sand 4-5" away. I was gone for 24 hours and when I came back the little one had managed to dig his foot into the same rock as the blue gigantea and touching each other. I am not sure what this means in terms of gigantea interaction. From what I have read on this forum, many people have had bad experience adding giganteas, but these two seems to want company. Or at least the small one seems to like company - the bigger one have not moved away yet. They are both touching each other.

Unread 09/22/2012, 12:10 PM   #59
OrionN
Moved on

Zooxanthellae coloration is different from the color of the anemone. I would use a stick (bamboo skewer) or some thing like that and let the healthy anemone grab a hold of it. Pull back quickly and some of the Gigantea tentacles will be sticking on the stick. Slit a small piece of fish or shrimp and jam this tentacles into it and feed it to the bleached anemone. That is how I would do a Zooxanthellae transplant.

Picture of your other anemone please,

Unread 09/22/2012, 12:18 PM   #60
schprock
Premium Member

Thanks for the tip Minh. I will give it a try then. The other anemone is on the other side. Will put up pics in the morning.

Unread 09/28/2012, 09:30 PM   #61
OrionN
Moved on

schproch,
How about those pictures? Did you do the Zooxanthellae transplant yet?
Here is a close up of my yellow Gigantea. The area where it still bleached, but really recovering well.

Unread 09/30/2012, 04:43 AM   #62
zzlonewolf
Registered Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349001673.410023.jpg

Updating condtion

zzlonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2012, 10:06 AM   #63
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

Quote:
If he died now it is all my fault not due to stress and injury from before I got him
Don't you mean "she"? I'm pretty sure I see eggs... Take a close look and tell me if you can see them as individual spheres.

Unread 09/30/2012, 04:01 PM   #64
OrionN
Moved on

Yes, this anemone have a lot of what you and Gary called eggs. I am still not sure if they are indeed eggs. I hope they are but when I first got her there was none but there are a lot of these shadow clusters on the column now.

Unread 09/30/2012, 04:30 PM   #65
Wifi
Registered Member

Very nice second Gig Minh.

Wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2012, 04:48 PM   #66
Wifi
Registered Member

Mine is now under a 15k Bulb and looks like it has lightened up in color. He is expanded more but under new bulb so was just wondering if a new bulb could cause the apperance of being lighter in color, he is stretchin more to the light where i can see column but then settles down but looks more expanded.

Wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2012, 05:59 PM   #67
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

Quote:
Yes, this anemone have a lot of what you and Gary called eggs. I am still not sure if they are indeed eggs. I hope they are but when I first got her there was none but there are a lot of these shadow clusters on the column now.
Check out the paper "Gametogenic and reproductive cycles of the sea anemone, Entacmaea quadricolor" by Dr. Scott (I am pretty sure you have this because I have posted copies several times). Granted, the photos aren't of S. gigantea, but I have seen the same thing in E. quadricolor.

The sex of E. quadricolor individuals could generally be
determined by examination of the mesenteries prior to
histological sectioning. Female anemones were usually
distinguishable from male and non-reproductive anemones
by the presence of prominent green oocytes. During
the early stages of development, the oocytes were visible
through a thick layer of endodermal tissue that contained
highly concentrated brown speckled zooxanthellae in
the region above the maturing gametes (Fig. 4a). As
development proceeded, the oocytes increased in size
and became more prominent (Fig. 4b, c). The mesenteries
of recently spawned anemones appeared to have
empty sacs where the oocytes were previously located
(Fig. 4d).

Unread 09/30/2012, 07:15 PM   #68
OrionN
Moved on

BonsaiNut,
I think you are right. I got a female Purple Gigantea. I am not sure about the sex of my second one. So far I do not observe these cluster of eggs, but he is still recovering.
Thanks.

Wifi,
Thanks

Unread 09/30/2012, 07:23 PM   #69
OrionN
Moved on

wrong thread

Unread 10/01/2012, 12:41 PM   #70
OrionN
Moved on

Eggs?

Unread 10/01/2012, 03:05 PM   #71
ponokareefer
Registered Member

ponokareefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2012, 10:16 PM   #72
Jamie1210
Registered Member

here's mine! I've had it since February

Jamie1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2012, 11:05 PM   #73
madean
Registered Member

So is anybody keeping these nems under leds or is everyone pretty much t5 or mh?

madean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2012, 11:11 PM   #74
joker205
Registered Member

Here's mine it's been 8 days and he hasn't deflated yet

joker205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2012, 11:12 PM   #75
joker205
Registered Member

Sorry for the bad iPhone picture

joker205 is offline   Reply With Quote