Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/27/2013, 11:33 AM   #26
appellativo
Registered Member

remove her to clean saltwater, I've seen some recover from copper shock. sorry she's not doing well

Unread 01/30/2015, 04:08 PM   #27
emcmilla
Registered Member

Can I mix Prime and Kanaplex? I cannot contact Seachem as they are closed now. I don't want my fish to die! Someone please say they have done this before without any ill effects?

Current Tank Info: 150G reef tank
emcmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2015, 08:48 AM   #28
chopopr
Registered Member

Hi Guys, I am currently treating my 500 gal fish only with CP @1 gram per 18 gallons everybody seems ok but my Tinkers butterfly and my lineatus female wrasse have developed like something on their fins that looks like fragged or splitting can I add any bacterial medicine with the Chloroquine Phosphate?

chopopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2016, 03:19 PM   #29
azcrazy
Registered Member

Prazi and formaldehyde, will be ok? lost 2 fish already

azcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2016, 08:15 PM   #30
krullshards
Registered Member

Prazi

I noticed a lot of posts going back some time saying that some combination of prazi + something killed their fish. I treated my fish in hypo with prazi because prazi is a relatively mild treatment and also it is indicated for freshwater as well, so obviously hypo shouldn't be a problem.

I noticed my water in the hospital tank got very cloudy and the fish started to become listless/lethargic. Not acting like themselves, not swimming around much. Then I noticed the chromis start gasping at the surface.

I tested the water and ammonia and nitrite were zero and nitrates weren't too bad either. I started doing a bunch of searches and research and learned that the prazi can cause bacterial blooms due to the carbon in it and that the bacteria quickly use up all the oxygen so you need to more aggressively oxygenate the water.

I hooked up a powerhead that has an airline to aerate the water aggressively and within an hour or so all the fish were back to their normal selves.

I also learned an interesting thing that chromis are actually like canaries in the coal mine. They are more sensitive to low oxygen levels, or so I read. At least now I know what to look for.

Anyway, with all the discussions about prazi, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth of experience.

krullshards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2016, 12:10 PM   #31
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Don't use ANY water conditioner with Cupramine, it will make the Cupramine much more toxic at a lower dose. To the Prazi question I would want to know what your trying to treat and with what? Why do you want to use formalin and PP?

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2020, 10:24 AM   #32
Sk8r
RC Mod

Prazi seems not to get along with wrasses.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2020, 10:27 AM   #33
Sk8r
RC Mod

with pond fish, most meds say 'aerate' or 'be sure your pond is well aerated. This is not bad advice for tanks. Your skimmer is vital in aeration. Beware of advice to cut it off. At very least, supply an aeration bubbler in the sump. If your problem is foaming, just take the cup off and let it foam to its heart's content: as long as the foam resorbs into the regular water eventually, it won't hurt your tank.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.

Last edited by Sk8r; 09/16/2020 at 03:24 PM.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote