Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/22/2014, 03:48 PM   #101
Deinonych
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepingtiger View Post
tired of ich. i will start to quarantine my fish from now on.
so after reading through this,

the best method for the fish in my DT is to do a tank transfer method.

question, the life cycle calls for trophont to fall off and become the protomont for about 2-18 hours before attaching itself to a surface and become tomont. wouldn't it be better to let the protomont attach itself to the surface before moving the fish to a new tank. Maybe do the transfer in the evening giving the protomont a chance to cyst. If you transfer in the morning, you might get some of the water that contain the protomont and spread it to the new tank. It will then cyst and gave a chance to turn therphonts and reattaching to the fish. I am not questioning the method, just trying to get a clear understanding.

also, why should i let the tank go fallow for 72 days? since the protmont, tomont, and therphonts phase is max 35 days in room temperature.
Yes, you could do it later in the day, provided you don't let more than 72 hours lapse between transfers (i.e. do all transfers at the same time of day).

The reason for the 72-day fallow period is because 72 days is longest reported period for the tomont stage. You could do a shorter period, but there is a risk in doing so. 72 days is a worst-case scenario, and some of us are really paranoid.

Hope is not a strategy.
Display Tank: DSA 105 w/36gal sump/fuge · 2x MP40wES PHs · 2x Radion Gen2 · Apex w/PM2 · Fish · Corals · Rock · Sand · Water
Deinonych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2014, 07:08 AM   #102
Sleepingtiger
Registered Member

ok thanks... i can't imagine my tank fallow for 2 months... but oh well. do i need to do anything to my DT when the tank is fallow. i guess i need to add some food so the clean up crew has something to eat and for the chaeto to keep on growing.

Unread 08/25/2014, 10:01 AM   #103
Deinonych
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepingtiger View Post
ok thanks... i can't imagine my tank fallow for 2 months... but oh well. do i need to do anything to my DT when the tank is fallow. i guess i need to add some food so the clean up crew has something to eat and for the chaeto to keep on growing.
Yes, throw in a small amount of food every few days to keep the biofilter going.

Hope is not a strategy.
Display Tank: DSA 105 w/36gal sump/fuge · 2x MP40wES PHs · 2x Radion Gen2 · Apex w/PM2 · Fish · Corals · Rock · Sand · Water
Unread 08/26/2014, 11:09 AM   #104
Sleepingtiger
Registered Member

This is going to be nuts. Running into several problems. I have no way of getting media with bacteria that is 100% ich free. So the fish in QT risk getting ammonia spikes. I also have to quarantine more fish than i would like.

Unread 08/26/2014, 11:21 AM   #105
Deinonych
Registered Member

Seeding the biofilter can be done with Bio-spira. All it needs is substrate for the bacteria to grow on. I use Seachem Matrix in a media bag and put it into a HOB filter. Add a bottle of Bio-spira and I'm good to go. Never had a problem with ammonia using this process. Most pet stores carry ceramic media (Fluval makes ceramic rings that are similar).

Hope is not a strategy.
Unread 08/26/2014, 11:26 AM   #106
Sleepingtiger
Registered Member

awesome! thanks.

one more question. during the tank transfer method. should i be concerned about moving the fish from one tank to another. should i do a fresh water dip during the actual transfer? last thing i want is to transport ich from one tank to another tank.

Unread 08/26/2014, 02:59 PM   #107
Deinonych
Registered Member

You want to minimize water transfer between tanks, but a little bit won't hurt. If you use a plastic colander or something similar to capture and move the fish, it will minimize water transfer. I personally use a Reef Gently Acclimate box with clean saltwater as a transfer container to "rinse" the fish before it goes into the transfer tank. I also try to use my hands to move the fish instead of a net.

Hope is not a strategy.
Unread 12/09/2014, 02:43 PM   #108
bemenaker
Registered Member

I am getting ready to setup a QT tank. We recently upgraded out existing 65 to a 125. While we never used a QT in the past, we don't want to risk it anymore. I am using our old 29 biocube for QT. Currently, it has sand in it. Should I remove the sand? It seems bare bottom is preferred. Is this just for easier clean up, or is it better to act as a QT if it's BB?

Thanks.

bemenaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2014, 06:07 PM   #109
Deinonych
Registered Member

I would remove the sand. If you have to medicate, having sand can complicate dosing due to adsorption (depending on the medication used).

Hope is not a strategy.
Unread 12/19/2014, 03:23 PM   #110
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

What should the copper levels be in a QT tank?

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2014, 07:55 PM   #111
Spar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitude127 View Post
What should the copper levels be in a QT tank?

Slowly (over 3 or 4 days) increase to .5ppm and hold for 4 weeks. Never let it drop below .35ppm (consider during water changes that you will want to add copper to the new water before adding it to your tank).

Unread 12/23/2014, 12:27 PM   #112
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spar View Post
Slowly (over 3 or 4 days) increase to .5ppm and hold for 4 weeks. Never let it drop below .35ppm (consider during water changes that you will want to add copper to the new water before adding it to your tank).
Thank you. Does this apply to all species of fish?

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2014, 04:27 AM   #113
Spar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitude127 View Post
Thank you. Does this apply to all species of fish?

For the parasite killing goal, yes. But some fish are very sensitive to copper and may not make it through treatment. Angels are one that we see frequent issues with. I'd recommend doing research on a per fish basis on this forum to see the general consensus on how it does.

Unread 01/09/2015, 06:19 PM   #114
tc2007
Registered Member

I was wondering, after I use an equipment for QT and medication (not copper but reef safe like Chloroquine Phosphate and / or ParaGuard) how do I make sure that it does not have any traces of parasites, spores, cysts etc? Should drying them out in sunlight should be enough?

tc2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2015, 08:26 PM   #115
Spar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc2007 View Post
I was wondering, after I use an equipment for QT and medication (not copper but reef safe like Chloroquine Phosphate and / or ParaGuard) how do I make sure that it does not have any traces of parasites, spores, cysts etc? Should drying them out in sunlight should be enough?

Sunlight isnt necessary but will speed it up. Just a simple 24 hours of being dry will kill all stages including hardened cysts.

Unread 04/28/2015, 10:30 AM   #116
Luke Schnabel
Registered Member

I'm getting close to starting my tank up in my newly finish basment. I Have a 20g tank for quarentine. I will be using a HOB filter, LED light, heater and a tunze wave box. I'll have it controlled with my old Apex unit.
To help save on the costs of running a quarentine tank would I be able to use my display tank water when I do water changes in the quarentine tank?

In wall 125 gallon display and 48g frag tank w/ 75gallon sump Apex Controlled, 2xMP40, 1 MP10, Ecotech M1 return, reef octopus x5000, 4x Ecotech Radion G2 with T5 supplament(Display), 2x AI Hydras (fr
Luke Schnabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2015, 11:09 AM   #117
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Schnabel View Post
I'm getting close to starting my tank up in my newly finish basment. I Have a 20g tank for quarentine. I will be using a HOB filter, LED light, heater and a tunze wave box. I'll have it controlled with my old Apex unit.
To help save on the costs of running a quarentine tank would I be able to use my display tank water when I do water changes in the quarentine tank?
Assuming your display tank is parasite free, absolutely.

Unread 05/13/2015, 04:06 PM   #118
toynewb
Registered Member

is it a pretty good idea to QT all inverts? snails, shrimp, etc...?

toynewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2015, 08:31 PM   #119
Spar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toynewb View Post
is it a pretty good idea to QT all inverts? snails, shrimp, etc...?
good idea? yes.

comes down to how much risk you are willing to take. it is a definite possibility that a parasite or disease hitchhike in on them. many people don't QT them and get lucky, many say not QT'ing them was their downfall.

to be absolutely sure however, you will need to fallow treat everything wet for 72 days before adding them to your Display Tank. I have a 20g tank (recently upgraded from a 10g) permanently setup for this purpose. Has worked great for me.

Unread 05/13/2015, 09:35 PM   #120
Deinonych
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spar View Post
good idea? yes.

comes down to how much risk you are willing to take. it is a definite possibility that a parasite or disease hitchhike in on them. many people don't QT them and get lucky, many say not QT'ing them was their downfall.

to be absolutely sure however, you will need to fallow treat everything wet for 72 days before adding them to your Display Tank. I have a 20g tank (recently upgraded from a 10g) permanently setup for this purpose. Has worked great for me.
+1

I got burned by Cryptocaryon cysts hitchhiking on a zoa colony attached to live rock. Never again. I now QT all inverts for 72 days. I have a 20gal tank with sand, some LR, HOB filter, powerhead and T5 lighting. Has worked well so far, even for the easier SPS like Montipora, Stylophora, Seriatopora etc. (not acros, however).

Hope is not a strategy.
Unread 07/20/2015, 11:46 AM   #121
SteveZZR
Registered Member

Wrasse quarantine
Some are sensitive to chloroquine apparently, but which?

I had a dragon wrasse from a velvet wiped out tank, qted with chloroquine at 15mgl and it died after 10 days. Had been active and feeding well until this point. Water tested fine and no obvious marks on the fish.

Planning a trio of flasher wrasse and don't want to kill them in quarantine

SteveZZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2015, 12:02 PM   #122
Deinonych
Registered Member

I personally have had bad luck with flasher wrasses and CP. I use TTM for all new acquisitions now.

Hope is not a strategy.
Unread 08/07/2015, 03:18 PM   #123
Quiverfull
Registered Member

In some of the initial posts, it was stated that a QT can be set up with live rock for filtration. I have fully cured live rock that has been in the display tank for several years and was only going to use this along with a powerhead for my filtration as I did not have a sponge of HOB that was already seeded. if I do not treat with any chemicals and the fish in QT seem fine after several weeks. Is it OK to put the LR back into the DT at some point?

Current Tank Info: 120g Oceanic RR 250w HQI MH x 2 and T5 x 2, Euroreef CS6-2 skimmer, 37g Oceanic Show live rock and powerheads only Ecotech 24 in Marine LED, AGA 92g Corner bowfront
Quiverfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2015, 04:08 PM   #124
Newsmyrna80
Registered Member

How long did you quarantine? If the fish are healthy and do not have any disease than the live rock should be ok to put into the main.

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon reef tank with 30 gal refugium
Newsmyrna80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2015, 07:29 PM   #125
Quiverfull
Registered Member

I'm just starting the process now. Gonna be in QT for at least 2 weeks. They are 3 fairy wrasses. I am just setting up the qt now.

Current Tank Info: 120g Oceanic RR 250w HQI MH x 2 and T5 x 2, Euroreef CS6-2 skimmer, 37g Oceanic Show live rock and powerheads only Ecotech 24 in Marine LED, AGA 92g Corner bowfront
Quiverfull is offline   Reply With Quote