Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/25/2011, 04:35 PM   #1
Sk8r
RC Mod

CAUTION: drug interactions!!!!!

Cupramine: from Seachem
http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/Cupramine.html#faq2.
Q: I've been dosing with Cupramine™ and then I added Product X and everything died. What happened?

A: If Product X is a reducing agent such as ParaGuard™ (or other aldehyde based medications), or if you overdose with a dechlorinator, such as Prime® then the Cu+2 will be reduced to Cu+. Cu+ is 10 times more toxic than Cu+2.
Now this is for cupramine but the reaction should be the same for any copper containing additive I would think.
--------------------------
Cupramine: do not combine with hyposalinity treatment. Do not have carbon in your filter while using. And an auto-topoff unit in the hospital tank is a very good thing where dosing copper, particularly with sensitive species, so your levels of this med do not fluctuate due to evaporation. Not indicated for: angels.
-------
Metronidazole: very rough on some species if dissolved in water. Good where you have no clue whether it's fungal or bacterial or even parasitic, but this is very difficult to dose properly. Food soaked in this antibiotic is probably best and gentlest, administered in a hospital tank.
-----------

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.

Last edited by Sk8r; 03/25/2011 at 04:42 PM.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2011, 06:14 PM   #2
snorvich
Team RC member

Excellent post. Everyone who uses copper should read.

Unread 03/25/2011, 09:52 PM   #3
Sk8r
RC Mod

We need to collect every such interaction we can find out about.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2011, 11:57 PM   #4
Pyrrhus
Registered Member

This interaction is unique to Cupramine.

It is the broken amine bond that causes the toxicity issues with Cupramine. UV, carbon, and ozone will cause similar issues with cupramine, but not with any other copper product I am aware of.

Unread 06/08/2011, 02:52 PM   #5
dendrodude
Registered Member

I was under the impression the carbon was acceptable, it is on the bottle to remove the cupramine with carbon.

dendrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2011, 09:32 PM   #6
ackee
Registered Member

The carbon is perfectly harmless. The problem is that it does remove copper, and reduces the copper below theraputic levels. Cupramine is the most effective and safest copper treatment available, hands down. Adding any other copper containing substance while treating with Cupramine is incomprehensibly foolish. Small amounts of Prime (not an "overdose") are not dangerous, though adding anything besides the medication itself is unwise. Before medicating you should know what condition you are treating. Shotgun treatment approaches are a bad idea, for fish or humans.

ackee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2011, 10:19 PM   #7
Caesra
Registered Member

whew...I saw the title of this post and thought we were talking about salt, water and fish!

Caesra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2011, 09:56 AM   #8
seguin
Registered Member

Chloroquine reduces the bioavailability of praziquantel (in rats and humans), so that is a potential interaction when using for an aquarium. I use these two drugs regularly in quarantine treatments...but never concurrently.

http://www.mims.com/USA/interaction/...%7Cchloroquine

seguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2011, 12:25 PM   #9
jcmjoe
Registered Member

Quote:
Cupramine: do not combine with hyposalinity treatment
So just a quick question, My display tank salinity is at 1.023, I currently have the tank fallow for an Ich outbreak and have the fish quarantined using Cupramine. Where should I have my salinity at? My LFS said I should lower it to about 1.017, Is this correct?

jcmjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2011, 01:08 PM   #10
jcmjoe
Registered Member

The Salinity in the quarantine tank that is.

jcmjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2012, 11:30 AM   #11
Marcor
Registered Member

Can anyone advise if you can treat copper and malachite green concurrently in a QT ?

Specifically, I'm wanting to know about API's "Super Ick Cure" - malachite green and nitrofurazone and Seachem's Cupramine.

Marcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2012, 08:38 AM   #12
Agioniko
Registered Member

Cupramine and Prazipro

Quote:
Originally Posted by seguin View Post
Chloroquine reduces the bioavailability of praziquantel (in rats and humans), so that is a potential interaction when using for an aquarium. I use these two drugs regularly in quarantine treatments...but never concurrently.

http://www.mims.com/USA/interaction/...%7Cchloroquine
So Cupramine lowers bioavailability of Prazipro? What percentage are we talking about. It is an interaction, but is their clinical significance to this?

Agioniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2012, 08:37 PM   #13
ridleywr24cb
Registered Member

wait so if i use seachem prime for my water changes that may have caused my fish rapidly dying within hours? because my tank was fine then within hours lost 7 of 11 fish all on their sides breathing heavy and i thought it was my new powerheads bc water tests came back fine and nothing ever died prior last 2 years and still cant figure out what happend

ridleywr24cb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2012, 01:30 AM   #14
ironwill723
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridleywr24cb View Post
wait so if i use seachem prime for my water changes that may have caused my fish rapidly dying within hours? because my tank was fine then within hours lost 7 of 11 fish all on their sides breathing heavy and i thought it was my new powerheads bc water tests came back fine and nothing ever died prior last 2 years and still cant figure out what happend
Had same experience using prime and prazipro...anybody know why? Low oxygen? Bunch of fish dead on bottom next morning with red glls, mouths open, no sign of disease that I could see.

ironwill723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2012, 11:02 AM   #15
ridleywr24cb
Registered Member

exact same problem..anyone know?

Unread 10/15/2012, 02:56 PM   #16
acck
Registered Member

Ridley n Ironwill, did u add Prime to a coppered tank?

"Prime, like most water conditioners on the market, is a reducing agent. *Therefore, when combined with Cupramine, has the potential to reduce the copper from a safe form to a more toxic form. *We do not recommend using the two products in conjunction with one another. *However, since Prime only remains active for 24-48 hours, you can prepare your tap water 2 days prior to adding to the aquarium and it will be perfectly safe. *At that point, the Prime will have dechlorinated the water."

Two days after Prime is added the water it will still be dechlorinated and will not react with copper. *

Product Support Seachem

Current Tank Info: Basslets love

Last edited by acck; 10/15/2012 at 03:20 PM.
acck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2012, 06:32 PM   #17
ridleywr24cb
Registered Member

i have no clue what copper treatment is about so i would assume no i wasnt treating with copper but i was using quick cure with seachem prime

Unread 10/16/2012, 03:26 AM   #18
acck
Registered Member

Quick cure has copper maybe?

Current Tank Info: Basslets love
acck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2012, 05:03 PM   #19
wooden_reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
Excellent post. Everyone who uses copper should read.
When I use copper I use straight CuSO4, uncheleated.

wooden_reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2013, 08:32 PM   #20
2JZGTE
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironwill723 View Post
Had same experience using prime and prazipro...anybody know why? Low oxygen? Bunch of fish dead on bottom next morning with red glls, mouths open, no sign of disease that I could see.
Same here, Prazi Pro with Amquel and I ended up with a bunch of dead fish. Took me a long time to come up with this conclusion, I always thought it was whatever I was treating that led to their deaths, I didn't know the fishes were dying because I unknowingly made the water toxic for them.

I wish these companies would label their medecine to warn people not to mix with Amquel, Prime, etc...

2JZGTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2013, 07:09 PM   #21
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

I have a 125 I'm setting up for a treatment tank for my DT and leaving it fallow for 10 wks. My question is if I use a water conditioner when I fill the after how many water changes would it be safe to use the cupramine? What do you do about ammonia when using cupramine, use a detoxifier? Obviously water changes

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2013, 06:47 AM   #22
mike54784
Registered Member

I'm wondering about interactions between malachite green, formalin, and praziquantel. I've determined that my fish have flukes, and possibly some other internal parasites, and I want to treat my entire aquarium with praziquantel (PraziPro), so I ordered some from Dr. Foster and Smith. The only problem is that it wont be delivered till Monday, which is another three days. The LFS doesn't have PraziPro on hand, which is why I had to order online and now wait for my shipment. In the mean time my fish is getting worse, and my other fish are beginning to show symptoms. My LFS has a solution that contains malachite green and formalin, which I was initially trying to avoid because I have inverts an live rock in my display tank, and assuming all my fish probably have it I wanted to just treat my whole tank with PraziPro. I'm starting to worry that they wont make it long enough to get my Prazi shipment. I'm wondering, if I set up a QT and treat with a low dose of the LFS's malachite green/formalin solution (as apposed to the high dose dip method) for the three days stated on the directions, would it then be safe to add my fish back to the DT after the 3 days (on Monday when the PraziPro shipment comes in) and treat my DT starting Mon with PraziPro. I would do this to kill all traces of Flukes in the tank including eggs, as apposed to leaving my tank fallow, because I don't believe leaving all of my fish in my small QT for a month is reasonable. At no time would the malachite green, formalin, and PraziPro be mixed together with my fish in them, but they would go from the one solution of malachite green and formalin, to the DT with PraziPro. Also, should I add anything else to the DT with Prazi to help minimize the possibility of any secondary infections? Or is all of this a bad idea? Thank you in advance

mike54784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2013, 08:54 AM   #23
appellativo
Registered Member

What are any known drug interactions with this product:

Rich Ich Plus, containing formaldehyde 4.26% (11.52% formalin) and zinc-free chloride salt of malachite green.

Incidentally, I have used Prime/amquel with this product (the Rich Ich Plus says to do a 25% water change with each daily treatment) with no ill effect on FRESHWATER ich cases...

Unread 08/26/2013, 07:55 PM   #24
Chicago
Registered Member

what about prazipro and methanblue?

Current Tank Info: 500 gal starphire, reef sps dominated, 40 plus fish, 300 gallon sump in basement below, reeftek calcium reactor, reeftek kalkwasser reactor, lifeguard fluidized filter for rowaphose, 4 400MH 10k xm, 2 160 vho super attinic, DYI 50 gallon denitrator
Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2013, 04:38 PM   #25
Guatney
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
[B]Not indicated for: angels.
-----------
My LFS made me convinced i could copper dose my angel now shes dying

Guatney is offline   Reply With Quote