Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/10/2017, 09:21 PM   #101
asonitez
Floodicus Maximus Flooris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin poirier, post: 3951390, member: 80382
I'm following. Please inform about the fish shipment I'm very curious

Shipment is scheduled to arrive tomorrow morning before 10:30 AM.

Today I went out and purchased 3 buckets, airline tubing and some airline valves.

I also picked up 2 cleaner shrimp and 2 wrasses that I had the lfs holding for me.

They were in a separate tank and nothing else was supposed to go in but today they got a shipment and one of the workers coming back from vacation added 3 other wrasses to the tank my fish were in. I'm not taking any chances so they are going into quarantine.

I took advantage of BRS preferred reefer sale and snagged a Skimz chaeto reactor cheaper than DIY. The only problem is that I literally can't find a single friggin person that has chaeto available. I love melanarus wrasses and will be picking up a nice pair in addition to a mandarin and 2 red scooters. In order to do this though in need pods.

I'm sorry but no one wanted to sponsor me so for a few bucks I reached out to a fellow reefer Lazy of Lazys Frag house and picked up some cool stuff. Can you guys guess what these will be used for ? (
2.5 gallons each @ 6.00 from Walmart)

If you haven't guessed then I'm going to be raising pods. I haven't decided if I'm going to do phyto and pods but right now definitely pods.

I can't even begin to count how many pods are in each bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

asonitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2017, 04:42 PM   #102
asonitez

Update Time!

The Fish arrived

So did the worst 40 bucks I ever spent. Decorations for the quarantine tank. These things are so small

Everything arrived ok except the geometric Pygmy hawk fish. He survived acclimation but I think it's going to die. He did NOT look well in the. bag and frankly I thought he was dead.

I saw movement so I added him to the quarantine tank.

I ended up doing 4/5 hours of drip acclimation at 3 speeds.

Things to note:

The water the fish came in was cool to the touch. The cool packs worked.

They came in very small amounts of water.

The salinity in the bags were between 1.018 to 1.020. All the fish were the right size. (I was told the fish would be 1.025) so what I did while dripping the fish I refilled the lost quarantine tank water with fresh saltwater at much lower salinity. Ending salinity in the tank was 1.023 and I changed roughly 15 gallons.

All of the fish showed signs of stress but no diseases are present. I will start prazipro in a few days once everything is eating. I have not fed them yet and probably won't today.

Unread 08/11/2017, 08:25 PM   #103
asonitez

Absolutely

Unread 08/11/2017, 10:12 PM   #104
asonitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maacc, post: 3954767, member: 68363
Looking good, I have about the same size tank I got wet about 2 months ago. Following.
Thanks for the follow guys. I was starting to think no one cared about my little trials and tribulations!

Just checked the tank and naturally as I expected the geometric pygmy hawkfish did not make it. He was practically dead in the bag on arrival. I saw a fin move and put him through acclimation and then an isolation container in the tank. He did not make it. The trigger pair are of course hiding in the fake corals but all of the other fish came out and ate some frozen mysis. Tomorrow I will be getting some live brine shrimp just to get them all enticed to eating and also because its just healthier for them initially.

Hopefully tomorrow I will start my copepod culture as well.

The tangs naturally showed some aggression towards each other but only the yellow ones. They are schooling though and after observation I'm not noticing any new nips or pokes.

The powder blue is absolutely flawless and is cruising the tank like no ones business.

In the mean time I made a boo/boo in the big tank. I think I might have let some food decay or something and caused a small algae bloom. Its not bad but I think it will clear up in a few days.

One thing I hate about the real reef rock is that for literally a few months the rock was curing in a VAT of saltwater. Stuck to the pieces of rock were small pieces of the paper that they came wrapped in. I don't know if that caused the bloom but tomorrow I will go in with a small tweezer and see if I can't remove any that I can see.

I have been running carbon on the tank from day one so I'm thinking that anything toxic that could have leeched would be over by now. Unfortunately i've been running the carbon in a bag in my sump which is less than ideal. I've been lazy to setup my GFO and Carbon reactors.

https://youtu.be/LvANMysAmZ0

Unread 08/12/2017, 05:16 AM   #105
SPotter
Registered Member

Hey man everything looks awesome!!!! I'm amazed with your cabinet skills!

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2017, 05:36 AM   #106
flobees
Registered Member

Been following your build, been planning for my next tank and I am very interested in your build your especially with the cabinet. Having room around the tank is so helpful. You mention Lazy Frag House are they the ones in Dayton Ohio? Are you in Ohio? I am in Columbus. I have Cheato if you still need them.

flobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2017, 05:43 AM   #107
asonitez

Yes lazy is in Ohio Nd that's where I got my copepod starter from. I still do need chaeto but I'm located in charlotte North Carolina. If you would be willing to stuff some of that chaeto into a usps flat rate. Box I'd happily pay the shipping.

Unread 08/12/2017, 11:22 PM   #108
asonitez

Just a Quick Little update. So far the fish are doing fine. I made a little video after I made a few small changes to the quarantine tank.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/wgjL_qe4Mm0

Unread 01/17/2019, 12:46 PM   #109
drukkosz
Registered Member

so what happened? I just read 5 pages and nothing since 8/17???!!!!!!!

drukkosz is offline   Reply With Quote